MMA UFC Fight Island

Jorge was walking at 192 on Saturday. The weight cut is going to be substantial and his second trainer Mike Brown won’t be at Jorge’s corner after tested positive for COVID.

Jorge also stated today he is not at his best shape which is worrisome when facing a relentless wrestler/ ground game.

That being said, Jorge strike game and improved takedown defense give him a great chance.

Tough battle but he can overcome
**** I didn't know that about Brown? Wasn't he just in Poirier's corner? That's a big loss for Jorge as Brown is one of the best coaches and cornermen in the game.

Advertisement
Masvidal fought maia about three years ago. Give you an idea of how he'll gameplan Usman.
Agree can give you somewhat of an idea but preparing for Maia's ground game versus Usman 's is apples and oranges. That was a super close fight and Masvidal really did a remarkable job defending himself on the ground.

**** I didn't know that about Brown? Wasn't he just in Poirier's corner? That's a big loss for Jorge as Brown is one of the best coaches and cornermen in the game.

Yes he was in Dustin corners for his last fight. Hearing Brown even traveled with Jorge to Vegas and there he tested positive so he was not able to make the trip to Abu Dhabi. Heard he was totally asymptomatic and probably was not actively transmitting the virus. Jorge probably got lucky... one more test to clear in Abu Dhabi ..fingers cross

Pride used to be so much better. They didn't allow guys to lay and pray. After a little bit of inactivity on the ground, they would stand them up.

The UFC allows guys to hold guys down for way too long imo. I get it, i'm not a jiu-jitsu purest.....but many times i'm not seeing jiu-jitsu either. It's guys stalling, doing the bare minimum to make it look like they are trying to improve their position while throwing a weak punch that would hurt a guy off the streets. Chael Sonnen, Jon Fitch, Jake Shields, etc made careers out of it. Shields was a good grappler but his standup was as bad as they come.....so he wanted nothing to do with exchanging. Even a guy like Maia learned to throw as he got more experience.

I agree...only thing I'd add is that Sonnen did evolve a bit and would sling his hands a bit toward the end of his career. He dropped Silva in their 2nd fight if I recall correctly.

Nate’s best asset in his BJJ game is his length. He is taller than most in his natural weight class 155 and uses that length well by using a lot of standing Kimora locks in grappling situations to control the position and on the ground his triangle game is excellent where his long legs and flexibility are huge assets. Nate loves boxing so much he doesn’t use his BJJ enough in my opinion.

Yep...that and his wrestling kinda sucks. He can't dictate where the fight goes as much as a dude like Usman can.

Advertisement
Usman's injuries will eventually catch up with him, too. He's never fully rehabbed. idk if it'll be against Masvidal with Masvidal coming in on short notice, but eventually.

Masvidal has a punchers chance. He's a wild man and he'll have something for him. He's has got to come out and be unpredictable. If Usman controls the fight and the pressure (the likeliest outcome of this fight, IMO, he's spooky in the ring), might be a long night for Masvidal. Going to be a good fight. Curious to see the buy rate on the fight. This is a real deal mega card.

I think Usman gets him. He's been camping for a while and I'm sure he's got some training for Masvidal in during that time as they were building to this a while back.
The thing about Usman is he's strong as an ox, relentless and indefatigable. When Jorge has fought guys like that with supreme conditioning and wrestling skills he's struggled.

I like Masvidal a lot and will be rooting for him, but Usman is a tough match-up for him. Even under normal circumstances, Usman (who has cut 10+ lbs. on the eve of weigh ins before) will have muscle mass on the smaller Masvidal (probably more so on short notice, but he has supposedly kept his training at a high level through the contract dispute). Usman also has a legit 4" reach advantage on Masvidal (though a dynamic striker like Masvidal can effectively minimize that importance of reach).

World-class wrestling + lean mass advantage + reach advantage is usually a bad combo for a smart striker like Masvidal to beat. Masvidal's wrestling and defense are probably underappreciated and underrated, but Usman is just a different animal on another level in that aspect.

Then again, it only takes one clean shot for a guy like Masvidal.

Home boy representing 🙌 🙌
20200706_200459.jpg
o

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree can give you somewhat of an idea but preparing for Maia's ground game versus Usman 's is apples and oranges. That was a super close fight and Masvidal really did a remarkable job defending himself on the ground.
Yep. I think the big one will be takedowns. Maia's takedowns are not very broad. He usually shoots for singles or doubles and attempts to work his way to the ground. Usman will do that and body locks and trips. Has a much more versatile options at his disposal. I think this fight will depend on masvidal's takedown defense which is to me nothing to special. Hes a talented striker and alot like Eddie Alvarez in that his can make adjustments and know what to do on the fly. But I have a feeling the takedowns will be too much for him to handle.

Advertisement
Yo.

If you ain't hype af for FIGHT ISLAND, get the fvck outta my face. You disgust me.

I put my heart into this ****. LETS GO MAN.

Advertisement
Usman/Covington fight on ESPN2. Covington landed more than I remembered. Usman is strong but stiff on the feet. Masvidal can make those shots count.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back