UEFA model for CFP

Advertisement
Would love to see this happen. Can see the SEC making a HUGE fuss over this if it were ever actually discussed. It would eliminate them being able to forcibly send multiple teams to the playoffs every year.

Advertisement
I think playoff expansion is inevitable, but the 12 model sucks. I think 8 is perfect, & it’ll allow a G5 team to make it. It’s time for G5 teams to stop being treated like red headed step children.

I think it will also allow for a couple of Tier 1 Bowl games to be rotated in. I would change the NY6 to NY8. Recall, the major bowls under the BCS format was Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange for yrs. They later added the Cotton & Peach. I would expand it further to include either The Citrus, Alamo, Cheez-It or Gator Bowl into the rotation.

Advertisement
Champions league has the best tournament style playoffs out there.

Take the Champion from each Power 5 conference and best G5 team for a total of 6 teams and two wild cards for a total of 8 teams and have them play it out.
I've been pounding the table for this for years. Makes it all based winning your conference, not favoritism. Also makes conference championship games de-facto first round of the playoff. Only place that ranking comes in is for byes and that best Go5 conference champ, but there is typically little argument on that one. Also, forces ND into a conference.

Edit: read this post incorrectly. I meant 6 teams: five P5 conference champs and highest ranked Go5 champ. Adding 2 wildcards would create more debate. Remove it altogether.

What does this do to the out of conference slate?
You would naturally drop a regular season game with the expanded playoff.
Does it completely gut it as it holds no value?
I assume that would be the only concern. The marquee matchups OOC. The rest makes perfect sense

Champions league has the best tournament style playoffs out there.

Take the Champion from each Power 5 conference and best G5 team for a total of 6 teams and two wild cards for a total of 8 teams and have them play it out.
THIS has always been the perfect format. Maybe you throw in that the G5 team has to be ranked in the top 10 or something (via whatever polling info/criteria the committee is using or pretending to use to determine those two at large bids). But even just on its face the 8 team/5 conf champ auto bids is the best possible format.

It's a great system until one of the big teams doesn't qualify so they change the rules to let them in.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back