UAB Post Game +/-

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude

Plus:

+Overall

I was pleased. If you thought we were going to hang 60 on anyone outside the FCS after installing a brand new offense, that is diametrically opposed from the previous one in just about every way imaginable, and having approximately 5 minutes of spring football...there isn't anything to ask of you other than patience. This team will get better as the year goes on.

+We ran at will
337 yards worth to be exact. I saw a stat where we had the most yards rushing since the opener against FAMU in Richt's first year. No idea how long it's been since we ran for that much against an FBS team. Chaney and Knighton each had a couple of 15-20 yard runs and Cam had well over a hundred.

+King
Nothing amazing outside of a couple circus scrambles and his TD run. The passing game was pretty pedestrian at best, until we remembered Brevin Jordan is a living person and that pretty much ended the game. His ability to extend drives will be one of the more valuable tools in his bag. I'll take one of these each game too.

It's still early, but it's pretty safe to say that we are going to look much more like 2013 Auburn than 2019 SMU. That's not a bad thing, just remember that and accept it.

+Defense
We held a team to less than 300 yards offense, and only gave up one drive all game. That's with 8 starters from last year not returning. We're going to miss Rousseau, and we'll probably miss Pinckney and Quarterman for a game or two down the road, but that was a solid debut.

+We have a kicker
Ordinarily when someone tells you to be excited about a kicker I'd tell you to give your head a shake. But after the inability to make PAT's last year, having Borregales reminds you how important this **** is.

-Minus:

-Passing game seemed off

Maybe it's the lack of chemistry, but there didn't seem to be much clicking between King and the WRs. Deep balls in particular were overthrown, and several times King wasn't on the same page with who he threw it to. I don't think this is going to get THAT much better. I'm not that sold on anyone in the WR room, especially Pope.

-Brevin was barely targeted in the 1st half
Seriously, throw him the ******* ball.

-Ivey doing Ivey things
Frustrating stuff.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just came home from the game 44 LB is so slow he can’t run.. #8 Ivey is a lshytty again And gaynor needs to hit the weight room he’s weak. And I know they didn’t get much opportunity but our WR’s look average.

agree 100%. I was so suspicious of this Jennings and Ivey hype over the off-season. Now we see the reality.

Advertisement
+ Canes back.
+ Dan's back.
+ Watching Miami and not having the punter, kicker, and/or qb play like they are laying points for the other team.

-not being able to take beating a CUSA team for granted.
-ESPN's constantly ****** coverage and ACC cross promotional **** everywhere. If I wanted to like/give a **** about the conference we are in, I'd go root for Bama, get an SEC logo tattooed on my chest, and listen to Finebaum as I screwed my sister.

I'm starting to think we should just forget about playing WRs. Get multiple RBs in the on the field and double TEs. Strength of team, by far is TE and RBs. Weakness is WR. Why bother with WRs when chances are high that it's going to result in a negative play?

Good write up @Dan E. Dangerously

Agree with key points. The “we are going to look much more like 2013 Auburn than 2019 SMU” comment may be prescient based on this one game sample size, and it may very well end up being a reality.

I’d like to at least get one or two more games in the sample size before I think we’re going to be more of that type of 2013 Auburn/Malzahn offense. But it could be, Lashlee ia not a pass crazy guy, and he’s got some nice shiny tools in his tool chest for running.

I will say this, I was wishfully thinking that King was just having some first game cobwebs. He did miss at least a couple of downfield throws, at some wide-open receivers, that would have gone for big big yards. If he can clean that up, it’s going open the game more for the offense. So we’ll see.

Advertisement
Good write up @Dan E. Dangerously

Agree with key points. The “we are going to look much more like 2013 Auburn than 2019 SMU” comment may be prescient based on this one game sample size, and it may very well end up being a reality.

I’d like to at least get one or two more games in the sample size before I think we’re going to be more of that type of 2013 Auburn/Malzahn offense. But it could be, Lashlee ia not a pass crazy guy, and he’s got some nice shiny tools in his tool chest for running.

I will say this, I was wishfully thinking that King was just having some first game cobwebs. He did miss at least a couple of downfield throws, at some wide-open receivers, that would have gone for big big yards. If he can clean that up, it’s going open the game more for the offense. So we’ll see.
I'm mostly just down on our WR group. Maybe Lashlee is just going with our strengths, but if we do ever start airing it out, it will be because guys like Payton stepped up and took a job from someone. Harley, Wiggins, and Pope are 3rd and 4th options at best. ****, they wouldn't sniff the field during the Golden era. They'd be battling with Herb Watters for reps behind the likes of Dorsett, Hurns, and Coley.

I'm mostly just down on our WR group. Maybe Lashlee is just going with our strengths, but if we do ever start airing it out, it will be because guys like Payton stepped up and took a job from someone. Harley, Wiggins, and Pope are 3rd and 4th options at best. ****, they wouldn't sniff the field during the Golden era. They'd be battling with Herb Watters for reps behind the likes of Dorsett, Hurns, and Coley.

I feel that on the WRs, but I don’t want to throw out the baby after the first game. I do agree in the sense that I was disappointed in Pope. Especially after all the summer camp hype.

Wiggins has shown some talent. Harley will continue to get looks.

Overall, right now our best hook up is King to Brevin... So yeah, I want to see more Mallory, and I want to see somebody step up from the wide receivers. I don’t think anybody’s out of it yet. I still think King was a little rusty today, as far as throwing

Brevin is the best pass catching skill talent we have. Need to be a focal point, he has elite ability and looks even faster this year

Right now, King seems to have good rapport with Brevin. The rest of the receivers are a work in progress. Hopefully a couple of people step up next game. But again remember, King missed two big downfield throws where the receivers were wide open. That would have changed the tenor of the game.

Advertisement
Right now, King seems to have good rapport with Brevin. The rest of the receivers are a work in progress. Hopefully a couple of people step up next game. But again remember, King missed two big downfield throws where the receivers were wide open. That would have changed the tenor of the game.
And he usually hits those as he’s a great deep ball thrower. He did say he had a lot on his mind since this was first game his dad hadn’t been at his game so I get That for sure. Ultimately I’m not worried about king definitely or the offense really, all eyes on the defense for me and coach baker more importantly

And he usually hits those as he’s a great deep ball thrower. He did say he had a lot on his mind since this was first game his dad hadn’t been at his game so I get That for sure. Ultimately I’m not worried about king definitely or the offense really, all eyes on the defense for me and coach baker more importantly

He talked about missing those big throws.

0D381266-7916-4E12-AF43-B1655D9B42C8.jpeg
Basically said himself he needs to get the rust out.

You know how much hitting a couple of long throws opens things up underneath. I don’t take too much good nor bad from this game.

Other than we do have ourselves a game changing quarterback.

Think about what a difference he made this game, even if he didn’t have his best game throwing. That’s how important King is. With a little more accuracy on his intermediate and long throws, we’ve got ourselves a kickass offense

Advertisement
Coaching sucked major butt, anyone who thinks otherwise is an *******

Given that, I believe we played a very virgin, conservative, donuld trump loving game.

Coaching sucked major butt, anyone who thinks otherwise is an *******

Given that, I believe we played a very virgin, conservative, donuld trump loving game.
Let me get my Gregg Popovich impersonation out.

"Okay."

Let me get my Gregg Popovich impersonation out.

"Okay."
Seriously you might as well call out John Buck...you dork...Blake Baker is a **** who has no business being DC of this team

He's a "man of faith" but he's also the worst at calling a defense. My lord.

Advertisement
Back