U all can go out all on me....

Advertisement
Butch can recruit his *** off, but he regularly loses games he should win at FIU & corched it up this season.

American Heritage would have beaten us that night.
He should of surround himself with a great staff though come guys. Let's be realistic Butch would of killed it with our talent.. forgot where he's at coaching now... I'm talking him being here at a national brand.. he did it before but with sanctions

Two things can be true at once:

There'd be more NC trophies than 5 if Butch had stayed because he was in his prime and had this team rolling.

Butch wasn't winning anything at UM if he was the hire over Manny (or Richt) because he was past his prime and the recruiting game and local landscape had changed dramatically.
It's all about staffing.. but you bet your *** he would of benched that garbage *** performance from receivers

OK but compare his resume to this....

Howard Schenellenberger:
Head Coach, Baltimore Colts
Offensive Coordinator, Miami Dolphins (Super Bowl champion, only undefeated season in NFL history)
Offensive Coordinator for Bear Bryant, Alabama

That's how the 'Canes were built. His resume looks a lot like Nick Saban's before he built Alabama. Maybe even better. The point is, that's the kind of hire you make when you're serious about building a winner from scratch.

You can hire an "up and commer" when you're already good.

You moved the goalposts. Schnelly was an all time great. You listed the top ten coaches and the paper resume for Diaz is on par

You moved the goalposts. Schnelly was an all time great. You listed the top ten coaches and the paper resume for Diaz is on par

I moved the discussion along.

But fine, let's circle back then. I think it's a stretch to say Diaz is on par. Yeah, Manny coached under Mack Brown, but he was fired for performance. The other coordinators were promoted from within from national championship programs.

Advertisement
I moved the discussion along.

But fine, let's circle back then. I think it's a stretch to say Diaz is on par. Yeah, Manny coached under Mack Brown, but he was fired for performance. The other coordinators were promoted from within from national championship programs.
I agree. My only point was that if I told you that a HC coached under two National Championship coaches, a perennial top 10, etc. The resume stacks up. Of course circumstances are different but he has the pedigree per se

No it hasn't....he's just older and tired....Still knows Defensive FB better than any coach in this State....
He'll be retiring soon...but nobody will ever send 25 1st rounders to the NFL in less than 8yrs again...He sent more kids to the NFL in the 1st round than Howard...JJ & Erickson combined.....Let that sink in....Time has passed...but there'd be more NC Trophys than 5 had he stayed from 01-onward.....thats a given....
All that true..........BUT he does not have the energy to do what he had done 20 years ago. To the OP credit, he is not asking to hire him now and if he is then he is dreaming. Saying we should have hired him 10 years ago or so is one thing. Asking to hire him back now to recreate what he created when he was 25 years younger is foolish.

No it hasn't....he's just older and tired....Still knows Defensive FB better than any coach in this State....
He'll be retiring soon...but nobody will ever send 25 1st rounders to the NFL in less than 8yrs again...He sent more kids to the NFL in the 1st round than Howard...JJ & Erickson combined.....Let that sink in....Time has passed...but there'd be more NC Trophys than 5 had he stayed from 01-onward.....thats a given....
So Butch for DC at Miami??

Alright, let's crack open that nut. Here's the current top 10 rankings, the coach, and his prior experience.

1. Alabama: Nick Saban - Head coach LSU, head coach Miami Dolphins
2. Clemson: Dabo
3. Ohio State: Ryan Day - coordinator for a national championship team under Urban Meyer
4. Notre Dame: Brian Kelly - head coach Cincinnati
5. Texas A&M: Jimbo Fischer - head coach FSU, national champion
6. Oklahoma: Lincoln Riley - coordinator under national champion Bob Stoops
7. Florida: Dan Mullen - Head coach Mississippi State
8. Cincinnati : Luke Fickell - interim head coach, Ohio State, coordinator under national champion
9. Georgia: Kirby Smart - defensive coordinator for Nick Saban, national champion
10. Iowa State: Matt Campbell - head coach Toledo

So of the top 10, six had head coaching experience, three had elite coordinating experience under national champion coaches, and Dabo is the lone exception.
Day wasnt an oc on a NC team, herman was the oc at osu when they won the natty. Kelly was a hc for 20 years before he got the Nd job, at grand valley state and central Michigan. Saban was also hc at MSU. Mullen was a nc oc. And fickel **** the bed when he was interim coach at osu.

Advertisement
If we could have and shoulf have hired coach DAVIS when we had the chance to do do do it, we wouldn't be in this crap. Age wise is out the door. We see this COACH BROWN. It's called experience and logic. We phucked up, not we, the administrations. Swallow you all's PILL on leaving us in the last bowl.
If I got to go all on something, I would rather it be your misses......troll.

Alright, let's crack open that nut. Here's the current top 10 rankings, the coach, and his prior experience.

1. Alabama: Nick Saban - Head coach LSU, head coach Miami Dolphins
2. Clemson: Dabo
3. Ohio State: Ryan Day - coordinator for a national championship team under Urban Meyer
4. Notre Dame: Brian Kelly - head coach Cincinnati
5. Texas A&M: Jimbo Fischer - head coach FSU, national champion
6. Oklahoma: Lincoln Riley - coordinator under national champion Bob Stoops
7. Florida: Dan Mullen - Head coach Mississippi State
8. Cincinnati : Luke Fickell - interim head coach, Ohio State, coordinator under national champion
9. Georgia: Kirby Smart - defensive coordinator for Nick Saban, national champion
10. Iowa State: Matt Campbell - head coach Toledo

So of the top 10, six had head coaching experience, three had elite coordinating experience under national champion coaches, and Dabo is the lone exception.
And the bag game built Clemson more than any other program on this list.

If we could have and shoulf have hired coach DAVIS when we had the chance to do do do it, we wouldn't be in this crap. Age wise is out the door. We see this COACH BROWN. It's called experience and logic. We phucked up, not we, the administrations. Swallow you all's PILL on leaving us in the last bowl.

Mack Brown is coaching about as much as I am...

He has good coordinators and UNC has done a great job of keeping NC talent home.

This is the same Mack Brown who basically had carte blanche to hire whoever he wanted at Texas, had the entire state in the palm of his hand with recruiting with an unlimited budget and produced 1 NC... in which his team or should I say Vince Young a generational talent saved his a** with a mind boggling, backyard football performance and gave him his 1st and only NC

Dabo was a WR coach for a failed regime with no experience at anything but being a position coach, Manny’s resume wipes the floor with Dabos

Plenty of top programs have hired coaches without HC experience

Dabo actually played football, won a National Championship at our expense, then first learned under Gene Stallings who had Bama humming. At Clemson, he was promoted as a Assistant HC, first, before taking over as interim. Dabo has always been in the P5, as well.

Clemson took a chance on him b/c Dabo was one of the best recruiters in the nation. Prior to Dabo, Clemson frequented outside the top 40; after Dabo, Clemson started getting into the top 15 (& no, it wasn’t just Dabo, alone)...but from 2005-2008 (2004 didn’t have the complete data base for 247), Dabo was always in the top 20, even hitting top 10 a couple of times as a recruiter. Furthermore, Dabo is an exception, not a rule.

Now compare that w/ Diaz. Diaz never touched a football field, like ever. His first gig was changing some tapes for ESPN. He became a GA under Bowden, and was on staff for that ‘99 team. However, unlike Dabo who was w/ Gene as a GA then working his way to become a position coach staying on Gene’s staff for 5 yrs, Diaz stayed w/ Bowden as a GA, only, for 2 yrs.

Diaz’s on-field tutelage came from CHUCK AMATO; u know, the same mutha fcka that tried to ***** OUR Devin Hester, and ultimately most likely cost us a Nat’l title in ‘02-03? (But I digress). After Byt....Amato, Diaz then became a coordinator at Middle F’ing Tennessee. He then had a quick flyby gig at Miss St, only to spurn them to go to UT (b/c it was a sexier job-sounds familiar?) where he was unceremoniously FIRED!

Then the dude had to go back to a G5 program before Dan Mullen, stupidly, trusted to hire this dude again. He did the same exact chit, again & bolted to us after another 1 yr gig (b/c it was a sexier gig). So the Temple situation should’ve come at no surprise b/c this is Diaz’s m.o.

Anyways; now, what on Diaz’s resume from an experience, tutelage, coaching, or ****, even a recruiting standpoint, that shows there’s any comparison between the two? Example; while Dabo was cracking the top 20 as a recruiter in the nation b4 becoming an AHC & HC, Diaz (and I’m giving him a pass for 2016) has ranked 139th, 195th, and 242nd in the nation as a recruiter since being here. To put that in perspective, Rumph, Kul, and Enos have all been rated as far better I recruiters than Diaz before becoming a HC. So not only did he come from a failed regime, his “pedigree” is ?able at best.

So @GoCanes & others...let’s pls stop comparing Diaz to Dabo. U r comparing a watermelon to a grape. Their resumes are not remotely similar.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's wat I'm saying Mac Brown surrounded himself with a great staff he's not really doing too much. It's all about how you build your staff. Development.. analysis of recruiting. Manny hasn't accomplished that yet keeping top receivers and defensive players and O-line knowledge

Advertisement
We are so far away from being competitive in football it's so disappointing. Sad that we don't have a dominating LBer and dominating CB on the same team. Something we used to get with no problem.

Wasn't that Diaz specialty??? I don't blame Diaz, I blame the admin for these lazy hires because they are lazy ******* people. Born with a silver spoon in their ***.... Frenk and Blake need to be shown the door but that will not happen so I'm accepting the mediocreness.

We not saying bring him back. Just if he was hired we would of had better product on the field.. yall act like no top coordinators wouldn't want to work here if the right seasoned coach came here???
Dude, Butch is not the right coach. He's not even the right coach for FIU. There's a reason guys like Saban will bring in any scumbag former HC with a bad name, and put them on their support staff at the very least, but those guys never call Butch. Legitimately no program anywhere near being a top program wants Butch in any capacity.

I don't hate Butch. He had his day. He has his place in Canes history, but it's just that, history. He's washed up. Has been for a LONG time. EVERYONE knows this except a small segment of Canes fans apparently

Advertisement
Back