Tyrique Stevenson Visits Miami... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
View as article
I agree that you wait and see on Smart but based on what’s there, if our coach did what Smart did his second year, your tune would be much different. Smart could end up like Muschamp who showed promise at first with UF. Sure, but UGA sucked the last year under Richt, struggled Smart’s first year and then blew up. If you can’t understand the hype, I don’t know what to say.

UGA finished 9-3 Richt's last year, and 10-3 the year before that. Smart comes in and wins 8 games. He shouldn't be held responsible for that?

There's a difference between "doing well with other's recruits" and building/maintaining a program. Smart has gotten very, very fortunate with a few things in his second year, and that led to a great season. But I'm not so sure the guy is a great coach.

Advertisement
Some of it has to do with what Rell said in his post, some of it has to do with money being thrown around, and the current enemy UGA did actually win last year. They made to the final game and lost in overtime.

They had the #3 ranked recruiting class coming off an 8-win season. How come other schools that make it to the national title game don't experience a surge in recruiting like UGA has?

Yup. Although, I think people need to be careful of what they wish for. From my perception (and it's certainly not entirely accurate), Cristobal screams recruiter and wanting to play the bag game. But he strikes me as someone who's not a great gameday coach. I'm actually thrilled that he's at Oregon because I'll be watching them for the next couple of years. I hope he does well up there and removes that negative stigma that some have.

But for me, I'll take a guy like Richt who knows what he's doing and not willing to go into the bag game like UGA is doing right now.

My dream scenario would be that Richt spends the better part of the decade here, wins a natty then rides off into the sunset. Cristobal proves that he can actually coach and win at Oregon then comes to Miami and keeps the machine humming. Again, this is a dream scenario. Doesn't mean it'll actually happen.
Im cool with another 5 years with MR repairing the inroads and **** like that. I do want our next HC to be heavily in the bag game.....i want titles and elite defense i dont care if win win 3-0 i love defensive games over offense. Ill take 45-0 as well but u get the point

Not here to say anything about TS because others have already said what I'm thinking.

I will say that people should still wait and see on Kirby Smart. That's a fact. Dude shouldn't get credit for "going to the 'ship" with "MR's guys" in two years if he doesn't also get bagged on for going 7-5 the year after Richt left (following 9 and 10-win seasons in MR's last two years).

Dude has benefitted from a weak a$$ SEC East at the perfect time, and avoided Bama his last two years. He also had 30+ seniors on his team last season. Credit? Sure. But IMO it's not so clear that UGA is the next juggernaut some people are making them out to be.

He goes again this year and/or next year, he gets all of the credit in the world from me. Because now the roster is a majority of his players.

UGA finished 9-3 Richt's last year, and 10-3 the year before that. Smart comes in and wins 8 games. He shouldn't be held responsible for that?

There's a difference between "doing well with other's recruits" and building/maintaining a program. Smart has gotten very, very fortunate with a few things in his second year, and that led to a great season. But I'm not so sure the guy is a very good coach.
He should definitely be held accountable for his first year. It seems he held himself accountable and went out and almost won the MNC. The improvements from year 1 to 2 were impressive. Now I agree, let’s see what he does going forward because a two year sample is small, but the improvement warrants the hype.
Now people say it wasn’t impressive because it was Richt’s players but that doesn’t make sense to me. What he showed is that he can win with a full stable. What it seems you are questioning is that he didn’t get those players and can he do that again. Well they are throwing money around like crazy and out Bamaing Bama on the recruiting trail. So based on this small sample, they have a coach that can win if he has talent and can recruit at an elite level. Tell me, if the above scenario was applied to a Miami coach, how hyped up would you be that we are winning a title with the next two year?

Advertisement
They had the #3 ranked recruiting class coming off an 8-win season. How come other schools that make it to the national title game don't experience a surge in recruiting like UGA has?
Are you trying to get me to say that bags aren’t involved? If that’s the case you haven’t paid attention to what I’m saying. It’s a combination of things. UGA and it’s boosters are ready to spend and spend big, Kirby has the blueprint from the GOAT and appears to be a competent CEO, is why they ar a machine on the trail.

He should definitely be held accountable for his first year. It seems he held himself accountable and went out and almost won the MNC. The improvements from year 1 to 2 were impressive. Now I agree, let’s see what he does going forward because a two year sample is small, but the improvement warrants the hype.
Now people say it wasn’t impressive because it was Richt’s players but that doesn’t make sense to me. What he showed is that he can win with a full stable. What it seems you are questioning is that he didn’t get those players and can he do that again. Well they are throwing money around like crazy and out Bamaing Bama on the recruiting trail. So based on this small sample, they have a coach that can win if he has talent and can recruit at an elite level. Tell me, if the above scenario was applied to a Miami coach, how hyped up would you be that we are winning a title with the next two year?

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit and I'm not saying that I wouldn't be thrilled if he did it at Miami. I just want to see if he can maintain momentum; the recruiting class he brought in last year was almost entirely due to the run of success (18 of his commits, including 7 of the five-stars, came after October). Go back and look at Notre Dame's 2013 class - they killed it on the trail that season because of the national championship run, and because recruits thought they were "back," but the momentum on the trail faded when they followed that up with an 8-win season the next year.

Stuff like this happens. Smart's biggest challenge is maintaining that momentum, and I think that's going to be hard to do. Just my opinion, though - I understand where you're coming from when you think he's building a monster, just don't agree.

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit and I'm not saying that I wouldn't be thrilled if he did it at Miami. I just want to see if he can maintain momentum; the recruiting class he brought in last year was almost entirely due to the run of success (18 of his commits, including 7 of the five-stars) came after October). Go back and look at Notre Dame's 2013 class - they killed it on the trail that season because of the national championship run, and because recruits thought they were "back," but the momentum on the trail faded when they followed that up with an 8-win season the next year.

Stuff like this happens. Smart's biggest challenge is maintaining that momentum, and I think that's going to be hard to do. Just my opinion, though - I understand where you're coming from when you think he's building a monster, just don't agree.
That’s fair, but the question was why is UGA recruiting at such a high level, and bags were given as the sole reason. I said that wasn’t the only reason and that while the sample size was small, there was a bunch there to suggest Smart knew what he was doing. I jumped into this thread today, when I said we didn’t really ‘win’ last year because how we closed. The retort was that, well what did the other teams do then? I simply pointed out that our main adversary on the trail for elite DBs did in fact win.

Advertisement
Are you trying to get me to say that bags aren’t involved? If that’s the case you haven’t paid attention to what I’m saying. It’s a combination of things. UGA and it’s boosters are ready to spend and spend big, Kirby has the blueprint from the GOAT and appears to be a competent CEO, is why they ar a machine on the trail.

They're a machine on the trail mainly because they have recruiters and bags. People put way too much of an emphasis on Georgia being in the national title game. Do you know how many coaches have come from the Saban tree? Kirby isn't the only one. None of them are coming close to the recruiting success that Kirby's had. Jimbo's won a national title and he never got anywhere close to the talent that Kirby's got the last two cycles.

Georgia had a mediocre the year prior and Kirby still pulled the #3 class in the nation.

My point is with UGA is more about bags if anything. We heard it about Campbell last cycle, and now we're hearing it with TS. When schools are throwing money at players, and said player bites, you can't really recruit against that.

I’m done defending Kirby in this thread, fvck UGA but sometimes you guys seriously can’t look at things without your orange and green glasses on.

its hurting us now because hidden gems arent anymore with the camps and social media, i dont see how people cant see that

There's a massive amount of hidden gems. Most of the starters on the Superbowl were 3*. Most first round picks are 3*. Please back this claim up with actual supporting facts or stop repeating it like it's fact.

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve credit and I'm not saying that I wouldn't be thrilled if he did it at Miami. I just want to see if he can maintain momentum; the recruiting class he brought in last year was almost entirely due to the run of success (18 of his commits, including 7 of the five-stars, came after October). Go back and look at Notre Dame's 2013 class - they killed it on the trail that season because of the national championship run, and because recruits thought they were "back," but the momentum on the trail faded when they followed that up with an 8-win season the next year.

Wait the recruiting class he got was because of success? BULL ***** ****

Advertisement
There's a massive amount of hidden gems. Most of the starters on the Superbowl were 3*. Most first round picks are 3*. Please back this claim up with actual supporting facts or stop repeating it like it's fact.
Yea but u have to have a beast evaluator to find them

They're a machine on the trail mainly because they have recruiters and bags. People put way too much of an emphasis on Georgia being in the national title game. Do you know how many coaches have come from the Saban tree? Kirby isn't the only one. None of them are coming close to the recruiting success that Kirby's had. Jimbo's won a national title and he never got anywhere close to the talent that Kirby's got the last two cycles.

Georgia had a mediocre the year prior and Kirby still pulled the #3 class in the nation.

My point is with UGA is more about bags if anything. We heard it about Campbell last cycle, and now we're hearing it with TS. When schools are throwing money at players, and said player bites, you can't really recruit against that.
Its unbelievable they say we have orange and green glasses on and its not that even @Stefan Adams just said its a business descision, does he have to say anymore? If he likes this post then its bags

Advertisement
Uga and for the first time I can Remember in a long time didn’t have any significant injuries to key players outside of Eason.
U think the “bag game” was the ONLY thing Kirby learned from Saban and Baga? Hehe special “changes” and newer “training methods” in the S&C department too my friend.

Wait the recruiting class he got was because of success? BULL ***** ****

Again, you misunderstand my argument, which is that teams have brought in killer classes during a one-off "successful" year but had difficulties following it up when they fell back to earth.

ND in 2013
A&M in 2014
Michigan in 2016

etc. etc.

Yea but u have to have a beast evaluator to find them

And there are so, so, so many more three star players than five stars. So the numbers are skewed.

Someone wrote an article about how most of the NFL players are three stars, but the hit rate on guys rated in the top 100 were MUCH higher consistently year after year. If you're a top 100 rated player, your chances are far better that you'll be playing on Sundays than they are if you were a three-star guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back