Tyler Williams

We have two of the most athletic WRs in the country committed to us as we speak.

Yeah, we do have problems recruiting the position...

You can't build a lethal passing attack around Robby and Ray-Ray, when the former is pretty wishy washy in his own right...they're amazing skill guys and will be perfect with the ball in their hands, but they don't have the size to take over a game on the outside.

We need a bonafide #1 on the outside. Someone that's going to win the physical battle at the LOS, get off the press and consistently beat a team's top CB 1v1.

We don't have one of those. Right now, that's on Gattis and Mario. It's a glaring issue and it has to be addressed either in this class or in the portal.

Advertisement
A reasonable take from hoops......who woulda thunk it ;)

On the real though, I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees that Gattis' offense needs to obviously improve. I think the disagreements are the varying extremes regarding how bad it actually is (some believing Gattis is already cooked vs some believing there is time to improve).

But **** man...he really missed in the portal. Red zone offense aka scoring points is #1 on my list of things he needs to fix. But holy **** how do you absolutely botch the transfer portal when you see first hand how bad your WRs are. Here's a list of WRs (with their current production) we probably had a shot with:

Jadon Haselwood (OU to Arkansas): 158 yards, 2 TDs
Jacob Cowing (UTEP to Arizona): 253 yards, 5 TDs
Jacob Copeland (UF to Maryland): 178 yards, 2 TDs
Javon Baker (Bama to UCF): 251 yards, 2 TDs
Antwane Wells (JMU to USCe): 244 yards, 1 TD
Tyler Hudson (Central Arkansas): 209 yards, 0 TD
Mitchell Tinsley (WKU to Penn State): 158 yards, 2 TDs
Tayvion Robinson (VT to UK): 202 yards, 0 TDs
Trey Palmer (LSU to Nebraska): 323 yards, 1 TD
Matt Landers (Toledo to Arkansas): 211 yards, 0 TDs
Johnny Wilson (ASU to FSU): 260 yards, 2 TDs

Not including guys we were reportedly going after that never transferred: Zay Flowers (285 yards, 3 TDs), Xavier Worthy (162 yards, 0 TDs), Tyrese Chambers (158 yards, 2 TDs).

Anyone of those guys would have been MASSIVE improvements over Ladson.
You think Gattis was the guy solely responsible for securing WRs? The transfer portal is more nuanced than looking at it like it is a menu. You don't just pick who you want and they get brought to your table.

Oh and Gattis was hired on Feb 6th. I didn't go through your entire list but 4 or 5 that I did check on made their decisions before he got hired. So if you're directing your ire at anyone it should be at the guy with the higher pay grade above the OC.

Last edited:

You can't build a lethal passing attack around Robby and Ray-Ray, when the former is pretty wishy washy in his own right...they're amazing skill guys and will be perfect with the ball in their hands, but they don't have the size to take over a game on the outside.

We need a bonafide #1 on the outside. Someone that's going to win the physical battle at the LOS, get off the press and consistently beat a team's top CB 1v1.

We don't have one of those. Right now, that's on Gattis and Mario. It's a glaring issue and it has to be addressed either in this class or in the portal.
College Football Reaction GIF by ACC Network

The best WRs in college football and the pros aren't size guys. Frankly it a weird obsession with Miami fans like it is still 2007. Who leads the NFL in receiving yards right now? Hill, Diggs and Waddle. Three guys who are 6'0" and under. Ohio State, Alabama, LSU are the WR factories in college football. Of their recent draft picks only Chase would be considered physical and he's 6'0". Chase, Olave, Wilson, Waddle, Smith and Jefferson. 6'1" or under.

Advertisement
He was in portal for a couple days Dec 21. Mario was here only a couple weeks and we didnt have offensive staff while he tried to close recruiting early class by himself.. That transition we missed out on some guys.. Trey Palmer was the one that irk me but yea Wilson is a weapon with that size
I dont know why yall are crowning this wilson kid.

Sh*rt the man had like 12 catches at Arizona State. Stop being prisoners of the moment with that one.

Wilson is wayyyyy low on the list of guys for me.

The play was Zay Flowers and Tyler Harrell. I also agree on Palmer. How much targets have Ladson even got so far?.

I dont know why yall are crowning this wilson kid.

Sh*rt the man had like 12 catches at Arizona State. Stop being prisoners of the moment with that one.

Wilson is wayyyyy low on the list of guys for me.

The play was Zay Flowers and Tyler Harrell. I also agree on Palmer. How much targets have Ladson even got so far?.
2 I believe

Advertisement
The best WRs in college football and the pros aren't size guys. Frankly it a weird obsession with Miami fans like it is still 2007. Who leads the NFL in receiving yards right now? Hill, Diggs and Waddle. Three guys who are 6'0" and under. Ohio State, Alabama, LSU are the WR factories in college football. Of their recent draft picks only Chase would be considered physical and he's 6'0". Chase, Olave, Wilson, Waddle, Smith and Jefferson. 6'1" or under.
You're right, maybe he doesn't have to be humongous...but we do need someone with size. You mentioned 6 footers...well Robby is 5'10'' (maybe) and Ray-Ray is what...5'8''?

Can't have a WR room full of those, you need balance. And even if they're not huge, they have to be able to get off the press...they're both like 170-180 lbs. I know that comes with getting acclimated to a college strength program...but it's glaringly evident we need someone on the outside ahora.

So I guess it's throw the brinks trucks at the portal.

This is actually a good point. Since it’s turned into basketball on grass (the passing game), it’s all about spacing and being able to separate.

You think Gattis was the guy solely responsible for securing WRs? The transfer portal is more nuanced than looking at it like it is a menu. You don't just pick who you want and they get brought to your table.

Oh and Gattis was hired on Feb 6th. I didn't go through your entire list but 4 or 5 that I did check on made their decisions before he got hired. So if you're directing your ire at anyone it should be at the guy with the higher pay grade above the OC.
Shared blame for sure. It’s not solely on Gattis.

But even Matt Landers was an option we missed out on late. He could have helped. I’m sure if they had another crack at the portal they would have done things differently.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back