Tyler Boyd

Sammy Watkins took a huge step back his sophomore season as well and he turned out ok. Teams are adjusting, new QB, tough injury right off the bat. It's just a rough year for him. I expect him to bounce back strong next season.

Advertisement
Sammy Watkins took a huge step back his sophomore season as well and he turned out ok. Teams are adjusting, new QB, tough injury right off the bat. It's just a rough year for him. I expect him to bounce back strong next season.

I agree with all that, but what sucks is most people expect him to leave for the Draft early so we would only have seen him ball out for 2 years, since this year has not gone well.

I agree with all that, but what sucks is most people expect him to leave for the Draft early so we would only have seen him ball out for 2 years, since this year has not gone well.

11 receptions for 59 yards and we are talking about leaving early for the draft :stephenahand:

11 receptions for 59 yards and we are talking about leaving early for the draft :stephenahand:

I'm not saying he should. I'm just saying what the prevailing thought on these boards has been in regards to Coley leaving early.

Advertisement

Didn't take a HUGE step back. Dude was suspended the first two games for something stupid, took awhile to get back in the starting lineup. Touchdowns were down, but touchdowns to me are unpredictable and not the best indicator.

He was always used heavily in the screen game and in his "down" sophomore year he averaged 12+ YPR. Not the ridiculous numbers from his freshman and junior years, could be argued that he hit a wall, but he was still one of the best receivers in college football in the second half of the season.

What we are seeing from Coley is absurd in comparison.

Didn't take a HUGE step back. Dude was suspended the first two games for something stupid, took awhile to get back in the starting lineup. Touchdowns were down, but touchdowns to me are unpredictable and not the best indicator.

He was always used heavily in the screen game and in his "down" sophomore year he averaged 12+ YPR. Not the ridiculous numbers from his freshman and junior years, could be argued that he hit a wall, but he was still one of the best receivers in college football in the second half of the season.

It wasn't really a direct comparison. Just saying it happens to guys even with a ton of talent. Coley this year is honestly inexplicable, so a direct comparison would be **** near impossible.

It wasn't really a direct comparison. Just saying it happens to guys even with a ton of talent. Coley this year is honestly inexplicable, so a direct comparison would be **** near impossible.

Yeah I mean that's the point I am trying to make though. Second year regressions are common for even the best college receivers. Coley, talent wise, is up there with guys like Watkins and Marquise Lee in recent college memory.

A sophomore slump is one thing, but to completely fall off the face of the earth with his talent level is ******* crazy.

Yeah I mean that's the point I am trying to make though. Second year regressions are common for even the best college receivers. Coley, talent wise, is up there with guys like Watkins and Marquise Lee in recent college memory.

A sophomore slump is one thing, but to completely fall off the face of the earth with his talent level is ******* crazy.

No arguing there. We've seen, what one legit explosive play from him? I think it was the Arky St game on a screen pass? So that barely counts anyway. Our blocking and execution has no doubt been poor in the screen game but I'm sure teams are also looking for it a lot more than they were a year ago. Still, he's way too talented downfield, it's not like he's a one trick pony. Kaaya seems to be developing chemistry with a lot of other guys too, so I don't see where thats going to suddenly change.

Advertisement
Herb Waters is making the most of those "dumb screens". He gets about 6-10 yards on those same dumb screens. He got that same go route that Phillip Dorsett gets. He's just in a sophomore slump, similar to Dorsett in that Notre Dame game. He'll bounce back, eventually...

Every time I see him making plays I get so angry because I know we have a kid in Stacy Coley who is better than him, yet Stacy barely plays. Aside from the scheme and the losses, seeing Stacy not being used, or being used incorrectly, is one of the many things this staff does to anger me. Feel bad for the kid. They're costing him money at this point.

That's an idea for a stat. Take players under Al Brazeera who are starting in nfl. Compare their $ to league average for starters at same position.

How much money has his ineptitude cost our players?

Good chance next week with a lot of man coverage at VaTech for a 'welcome back' game.

Herb Waters is making the most of those "dumb screens". He gets about 6-10 yards on those same dumb screens. He got that same go route that Phillip Dorsett gets. He's just in a sophomore slump, similar to Dorsett in that Notre Dame game. He'll bounce back, eventually...

teams don't jump the screen routes when Herb is in the slot because of a little something called play tendencies that unlike our defense opposing teams actually pay attention to. When one player is actually being thrown the ball downfield it's a lot harder for a defense to assume what play is being run as opposed to another player who is only being thrown screens out of the slot. No different than last season whenever Malcom came in it was a run play. No if, ands, or buts about it. I mean for goodness sakes they ran a bubble screen in the Duke game out of trips and the other two wr on that side with him were Jones and Brady. Get out of here with that pee wee football level play tipping.

Also Dorsett was allowed to drop what 3/4 passes in the ND game and continued to get opportunities yet everyone keeps using 1 drop in the Duke game (on a drive we still got 7pts on) like that justifies him not playing. I'm still waiting to hear about the routes he's running were he's not getting open. even the 6 downfield targets and no receptions BS that was brought up earlier is laughable, considering one of those 6 targets was the Duke game bomb where he was clearly open.

this staff has proven that they mismanage player reps on both sides of the ball. If we had a great or even good passing game you could say f him he needs to just deal, but our passing game is above avg and that not me pulling **** out of my *** it's in the numbers. Make matters even worse were about to start playing some of the better defenses on our schedule so what do you think is going to happen if we've only managed to be above avg against the easy part of our schedule.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back