Tyler Baron DE, J George WR, Xavier WR, and NIL walk into a bar…

Advertisement
Shoot me for going off topic....but any news on Baron?
Mike Judge Kick GIF by Idiocracy

Advertisement
Wonder how many "graduated" and how many are coming back..
45/72 return. 32/45 returned to the same school from 2023 and 13 transferred elsewhere - all transfers went to Power 4 conference teams (+ Notre Dame). Only 2 transfers went P4 to P4 - Sam Brown (Houston to Miami) and Josh Kelly (Wazzu to Texas Tech). The rest went G5 - P4.

Miami still the only school with 3 on the list. Noticed a few schools have 2 guys... Oklahoma State, UCF, Hawaii, Iowa State, and Memphis.

Haven't found another team even returning 3 guys with 700 yards. Not sure how low you would have to go to find the next best returning cast in terms of the production of the top 3 guys.

I think George is hit or miss. I haven't seen much out of bond. sam brown is a great addition. X is fine, but I dont believe hes a high end talent.

My brother, I don't care if Xavier has the speed of a laden African swallow and the mental acuity of Forrest Gump, if he catches passes and racks up yardage to finish at #1 on the UM all-time list, I'll propose that UM puts a statue of him outside the Hecht.

My brother, I don't care if Xavier has the speed of a laden African swallow and the mental acuity of Forrest Gump, if he catches passes and racks up yardage to finish at #1 on the UM all-time list, I'll propose that UM puts a statue of him outside the Hecht.
absolutely no statue because the game has changed and it is more pass friendly which allows for more catches. irvin, dre,etc. are beyond whatever X does here. im looking to get back to those days of DUDES we had at WR, not a diet berrios without the athleticism (fwiw, just look at the game threads and the X threads about CIS true feelings on him). its typical CIS offseason. George has potential but until he shows he can keep his emotions in check, he isnt dependable/reliable. he hurt us big time in two key games with stupid anger management issues. that is part of it about being a productive player. I do like the sam brown addition and intrigued to see him here. i like jojo as a recruit. i want to see what ray ray has. i want to see robbie on the field. i want to see what Ny Carr brings as well as im excited for him as a recruit. tbh, im more excited about the future at WR here than i am about the current returnees that are set to take the majority of snaps not including Brown as hes a new addition but i think he can take the room to another level.

First of all, Academia and Sports are different.

I'm willing to bet you, nobody has an issue with a kid transferring and being able to immediately resume classes at the new school. Back in the day when players had to sit out a year to transfer, that didn't mean they couldn't take classes for a year. Of course not. So to compare them to regular students in this regard is manipulative.

Second of all, when millions of dollars are being thrown around, absolutely restrictions should be involved. Can NFL players just up and walk out of a team at any time and go play for another one because the other situation is more advantageous for them? Absolutely not. They do that when their contract (restriction) is up.

The problem is the NCAA used manipulative tactics of the opposite nature that you just tried to use. The NCAA told everyone for decades that because they are students they can't make money. And noe you're saying that because they are students they should have thr rights of regular students.

You're both wrong. They should be able to make money, and they shouldnt be viewed as normal students when what we are talking about it football (for normal rights please see paragraph 1 above). Eventually logic and law will catch up and there will be restrictions on how they can move, whether that be considering them employees, contractual buyouts, or another method...something will stop them from being able to move whenever they can. It'll take a few years to get there though, so for the time being...I'm glad UM is taking advantage of the situation as opposed to not.

Excellent summation.

I would also add, that if I had transferred from Miami to another university, I would NOT have been given a scholarship at the new school.

I realize that transferring is not quite as problematic for athletes as it used to be, but every time that an athlete begins the semester at one school and then decides to go somewhere else, that is another (short-term, yes) scholarship that could have been given to someone else.

I'm fine with free transfers. We have to figure out the financial and roster ramifications, though. This stuff is building momentum and making it hard to do what everyone is there to do.

Advertisement
Sorry to derail this thread more but seriously when did jacolby become hated by everyone? That dude made big plays last year, i expect him to be even better this year because cam fits him better

57 rec for 864/8tds seems reliable to me..I think the few penalties he had left everyone with a bad taste(⏸️) but i think we sleeping on him.
I think he can be really good, but he does a lot of dumb things. People tend to focus in on that when we are 12-13 and he is in the middle of nonsense while losing. Also was suspended at some point.. Then the driving incident. He is also a "Manny Guy", so when Mario, the culture builder, never sits him after ******* up, it is not that for all the culture talk Mario tends to have a fairly undisciplined team, it is the unruly Manny player to blame...

Appears all he needs to do is mature and focus.

absolutely no statue because the game has changed and it is more pass friendly which allows for more catches. irvin, dre,etc. are beyond whatever X does here. im looking to get back to those days of DUDES we had at WR, not a diet berrios without the athleticism (fwiw, just look at the game threads and the X threads about CIS true feelings on him). its typical CIS offseason. George has potential but until he shows he can keep his emotions in check, he isnt dependable/reliable. he hurt us big time in two key games with stupid anger management issues. that is part of it about being a productive player. I do like the sam brown addition and intrigued to see him here. i like jojo as a recruit. i want to see what ray ray has. i want to see robbie on the field. i want to see what Ny Carr brings as well as im excited for him as a recruit. tbh, im more excited about the future at WR here than i am about the current returnees that are set to take the majority of snaps not including Brown as hes a new addition but i think he can take the room to another level.

ESPN of all outlets thinks X is a top 6 receiver in CFB. PFF (which is a far more analytical and less subjective outlet) has him in their top 5. I honestly don't know what else you need to see.

Excellent summation.

I would also add, that if I had transferred from Miami to another university, I would NOT have been given a scholarship at the new school.

I realize that transferring is not quite as problematic for athletes as it used to be, but every time that an athlete begins the semester at one school and then decides to go somewhere else, that is another (short-term, yes) scholarship that could have been given to someone else.

I'm fine with free transfers. We have to figure out the financial and roster ramifications, though. This stuff is building momentum and making it hard to do what everyone is there to do.
my proposal is this - start paying players directly from the school funds. the option is this - you can either take the scholarship (4 years fully paid) as a game check and you are treated as an employee with contract termination clauses that require repayment if you leave. or you take the ship. if you take the ship, you cant transfer until 60 credits are completed in order to earn a scholarship at the new school. if you leave before, you go to the next place as a walk on

It will just be a more expensive turnover chain if those catches and yards don't result in WINS...

I hope X eats while Miami dominates...

Advertisement
absolutely no statue because the game has changed and it is more pass friendly which allows for more catches. irvin, dre,etc. are beyond whatever X does here.

I was trying to be a bit humorous, as I don't think we have a statue of ANY football player.

Still, you have to give X his due. He catches. He runs after catches. He doesn't drop the ball or fumble. Kid is **** good.

No idea whether he will succeed in the combine or the NFL, but for now he is what we need.

Allow me to present one other comparison.

1715351327680.png

209/337 for 3,095 yards across 12 games (starter was hurt for one game)

1715351520589.png

283 for 435 for 3,354 yards across 13 games (starter was out for three games)

Scenario 1 - 17.42 completions on 28.08 attempts per game for 257.92 yards per game
Scenario 2 - 21.77 completions on 33.46 attempts per game for (drumroll) 258 yards per game

Now, you can probably figure out that one of these scenarios is 2023, because I'm trying to make a point about Xavier. Compared to my first scenario, my second scenario (2023) has FOUR more completions per game on FIVE more attempts per game, and nearly identical yardage.

And based on my comparative, with Scenario 1 only having 12 games, you can probably figure out that it is an older year when we have more "downfield" passing, because the completion percentage is a bit lower.

On a humorous note, the stats showing MORE passing took place when the playclock speed is shorter, the number of plays are fewer, and the clock begins to run even on incompletions. Oh, and the coach is a "caveman" who runs the ball too much.

So here is the answer. Scenario 1 involves a Heisman winning QB and a QB named Torretta. Yes, it's the 1986 season, when Testaverde had the ability to throw to MICHAEL IRVIN or BRETT PERRIMAN or BRIAN BLADES or ALONZO HIGHSMITH or MELVIN BRATTON or WARREN WILLIAMS or CHARLES HENRY or ALFREDO ROBERTS.

And here is why that is important. If you are trying to argue that 2023 was some pass-happy year that allowed Xavier to make a cheap run on the UM records books, I would point out that you have FOUR more receptions per game, and ZERO more yards per game. And Michael Irvin wasn't getting all those catches. So even if you matched the 2023 stats back to 1986, what would you have? ONE more reception per game for Michael Irvin? ZERO more yards per game for Michael Irvin?

Again, 1986 was a HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER throwing to three future LONG-TIME NFL WRs. Even then, the per-game stats are not shockingly different from 2023. So I'm not sure why you think Xavier's stats are "cheap" or "hollow" compared to the good old days.

I'd say it's pretty impressive considering that X had a ****** QB room and that his fellow WRs are probably NOT on the level of Irvin-Perriman-Blades. And considering that TVD's completion percentage wasn't much different from Vinny's.

It will just be a more expensive turnover chain if those catches and yards don't result in WINS...

I hope X eats while Miami dominates...

Yes, and you are conflating the fact that this is an INDIVIDUAL analysis of one player...with the overall team-goals approach.

Both are important. But in terms of analyzing whether Xavier is a good WR with good stats who is a pretty darned good "returning asset" for the team to have. Certainly better than the combination of the five healthy returning WRs for F$U. Did F$U win more games? Sure, point acknowledged.

Advertisement
Oh yes, CIS poster sentiment on a player is dispositive. LMAO.

Let's put aside what posters think and look at numbers:

From PFF:

Restrepo is the most productive returning slot receiver in college football. His 1,074 receiving yards from that alignment were second among FBS receivers this past season to Virginia’s Malik Washington, who’s heading to the NFL. The junior finished with an 87.5 PFF grade this past season, seventh among Power Five receivers

Restrepo is the ultimate security blanket. In 2023, he was third among returning Power Five receivers with 53 catches that went for either a first down or touchdown. He’ll be new quarterback Cameron Ward’s best friend in 2024

No, Jesus Christ, he is not Dre or Irvin and no one is suggesting that either but the dude is arguably the best at what he does in the country.

The argument against X is silly. All he does is catch passes, get open and produce night in and out. We are very fortunate to have him this season.

My gripe with George is not his talent, I think we can all acknowledge that he’s a very talented WR that has the ability to go for 100+ any given night. It’s also not really the off-field behavior…it’s the inconsistency that’s very much apparent (and to a lesser extent, the in-game behavior, which one could argue goes hand in hand). X is consistent, George is absolutely not.

Post in thread 'Sam Brown, WR, Houston'
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/sam-brown-wr-houston.190973/post-7138439

Here’s why imo. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t turn up into another year this year, especially with a QB like Ward vs. TVD. But I do believe there’s a reason we paid up for Brown, and that reason is he’s more complete than George is. It’s a good problem to have - three 800+ yard WRs

Oh yes, CIS poster sentiment on a player is dispositive. LMAO.

Let's put aside what posters think and look at numbers:

From PFF:

Restrepo is the most productive returning slot receiver in college football. His 1,074 receiving yards from that alignment were second among FBS receivers this past season to Virginia’s Malik Washington, who’s heading to the NFL. The junior finished with an 87.5 PFF grade this past season, seventh among Power Five receivers

Restrepo is the ultimate security blanket. In 2023, he was third among returning Power Five receivers with 53 catches that went for either a first down or touchdown. He’ll be new quarterback Cameron Ward’s best friend in 2024

No, Jesus Christ, he is not Dre or Irvin and no one is suggesting that either but the dude is arguably the best at what he does in the country.
People mad because he doesn't look the part. Same dudes would've turned down prime Cooper Kupp. Best receiver we've had in a while and sadly the most underappreciated.

The argument against X is silly. All he does is catch passes, get open and produce night in and out. We are very fortunate to have him this season.

My gripe with George is not his talent, I think we can all acknowledge that he’s a very talented WR that has the ability to go for 100+ any given night. It’s also not really the off-field behavior…it’s the inconsistency that’s very much apparent (and to a lesser extent, the in-game behavior, which one could argue goes hand in hand). X is consistent, George is absolutely not.

Post in thread 'Sam Brown, WR, Houston'
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/sam-brown-wr-houston.190973/post-7138439

Here’s why imo. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t turn up into another year this year, especially with a QB like Ward vs. TVD. But I do believe there’s a reason we paid up for Brown, and that reason is he’s more complete than George is. It’s a good problem to have - three 800+ yard WRs

I don't think the inclusion of Brown has anything to do with Jacolby George. They play different positions. Sam Brown is more of a replacement for Colbie Young.

WR-X is Brown
WR-Z is George
Slot - Restrepo

Advertisement
Back