TX A&M Game : Houston vs Austin

Going to the game this year but there’s a debate as to where it would be better to stay for the weekend. **** no I’m not staying in college station. So if you have to pick one, Houston or Austin. Why?

Advertisement
Going to the game this year but there’s a debate as to where it would be better to stay for the weekend. **** no I’m not staying in college station. So if you have to pick one, Houston or Austin. Why?

what's your priority? if it's a bar scene and partying, then austin. if you want to spend a weekend eating amazing food, then houston.

Very simple. Houston.

University of Texas has a home game on 9/17, so good luck trying to get a decent/affordable hotel room in Austin that weekend.

1645185068675.png

I personally think Austin is a little hyped up but still a nice city but stay in Houston and drive to college station that’s what I’m doing

Advertisement
what's your priority? if it's a bar scene and partying, then austin. if you want to spend a weekend eating amazing food, then houston.
They both have good food options. It’s not New York or Chicago dining, but the Texas food culture lives in both cities. Austin is a more walkable city and probably easier for a tourist to navigate. Houston is more of a city fwiw imho

Drive time is roughly the same*.

Both cities are great.

If you've never been, go to Austin and see the bats.

*your mileage may vary

Advertisement
Austin. 100%.

Houston is a sprawl, whose roadways resemble a full bowl of spaghetti. The first day I was there, I nearly collided my car with a rental carrying Mark Henry and D-Lo Brown (they were in town for a PPV). The latter was 1998, and it has only grown worse since. As I said, roadways are a confusing mess the likes I have never seen before. Drivers are aggressive and erratic - possibly because even residents are confused by the sudden off ramps that exist on either the left or right sides of the road. There is also no land management...no commonality or theme except for the Galleria area. And even there - the last time we were there in 2015 they had taken the parking lot for their otherwise nice mall and made it pay to park.

Austin. 100%.

Houston is a sprawl, whose roadways resemble a full bowl of spaghetti. The first day I was there, I nearly collided my car with a rental carrying Mark Henry and D-Lo Brown (they were in town for a PPV). The latter was 1998, and it has only grown worse since. As I said, roadways are a confusing mess the likes I have never seen before. Drivers are aggressive and erratic - possibly because even residents are confused by the sudden off ramps that exist on either the left or right sides of the road. There is also no land management...no commonality or theme except for the Galleria area. And even there - the last time we were there in 2015 they had taken the parking lot for their otherwise nice mall and made it pay to park.
Agree with this. Lived in San Antonio from '17-'19 and hated going to Houston for any type of work. Would rather go up to Austin for work, even though Austin traffic stinks too, but that's mainly because the growth has far outpaced the roads. I-10 in Houston is a joke, nearly as bad as I-4 in FL.

Food in Austin is pretty solid too. Salt Lick in Driftwood isn't too far, and there is plenty of other eats in and around Austin. I must say as far as chain wing places go, I miss Pluckers.

What I like about Austin is the proximity to Texas Hill Country. Houston is a huge city with sprawl completely down to Galveston Bay. Seems like an unplanned, chaotic urban sprawl. Hate going to Houston but will be going to visit my sister who lives between Houston and Galveston, then driving up for the game.

Advertisement
What I like about Austin is the proximity to Texas Hill Country. Houston is a huge city with sprawl completely down to Galveston Bay. Seems like an unplanned, chaotic urban sprawl. Hate going to Houston but will be going to visit my sister who lives between Houston and Galveston, then driving up for the game.
Well said. Completely unplanned sprawl.

Was in Houston last week… hate driving around there but there is good food, great texmex and the Cajun scene is strong with all the Louisiana people that have moved there.

Advertisement
I live in Austin and it all really depends on what you're looking for as many have said. Austin in the fall is a really expensive city to book a hotel room but Air BnB's are plentiful. Food and live music are great, and if you were looking to make a mini-vacation out of it, I'd recommend Austin over Houston given the amount of things to do in and around the area.

That said, Houston is closer, also has great food and is likely going to be less expensive to fly in and out of and book a hotel in.

Advertisement
Back