X's and O's TVD turnovers in context

supacane

Senior
I like to come at these things and put them in perspective. Im sure there been lots of discussion of criticism for everyone when you lose. All is fair, no one is perfect, no one is immune from criticism especially on offense and not from the HC position. All that said, TVD is not the only problem, he is the MAIN problem.

This season CFB games are averaging 24 possessions per game. Meaning its like 12 possessions per team. TVD has had 10 picks and 2 fumbles that were turnovers giving him a total of 12 in 4 games. So of the 12 possessions, give the opponent 3 on top of their 12. Thats not counting our defense creating turnovers. So the opps get 15 possessions to win and we get 9. Yall see the problem with that? Yall see the difficulty with try to call plays with that? Then Cristobal and Dawson compounds that by playing a slow hass tempo. Now you see why we are struggling as much? Its the combination of those 2 things that has us where we at. Thats how you struggle with average to bad teams like GT, NC St and UVA.

But it starts with the turnovers.

Ill use a certain game for example to show u how distructive or not turnovers are. Pedo St v Ohio St.

Pedo had 240 yards, Haller had 191 yards passing on 18/42, 0 TDS and the team had no turnovers.

Ohio had a turnover and 365 yards and the game finished 20-12.

Pedo could not do anything on offense but their players did not try to do what wasnt there and they had a chance throughout against a more talented team

If we dont have 3 and 4 turnovers in the last 4 games TVD has played, we win all of them. All things equal maybe even losing the turnover battle by 1.

This is not me defending them not using Brashard or having McCormick on passing downs catching check downs. None of that. Or the fkn slow hass pace of the offense. I am just saying everything has been dominoes from TVD turning the ball over. We could have gone better than 1-3 with Emory, even if he played like he did v Clemson.
The only reason we even made those games close and won v UVA, is the defense.

He has to be removed

***Corrections made***

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
He needed to be taken out at half time, even if just for a series or 2. Its on Mario that he didn't and that he doesn't have the backup more ready knowing that TVD is a. mess right now.

I like to come at these things and put them in perspective. Im sure there been lots of discussion of criticism for everyone when you lose. All is fair, no one is perfect, no one is immune from criticism especially on offense and not from the HC position. All that said, TVD is not the only problem, he is the MAIN problem.

This season CFB games are averaging 12 possessions per game. Meaning its like 6 possessions per team. TVD has had 10 picks and 2 fumbles that were turnovers giving him a total of 12 in 4 games. So of the 6 possessions, give the opponent 3 on top of their 6. Thats not counting our defense creating turnovers. So the opps get 9 possessions to win and we get 3. Yall see the problem with that? Yall see the difficulty with try to call plays with that? Then Cristobal and Dawson compounds that by playing a slow hass tempo. Now you see why we are struggling as much? Its the combination of those 2 things that has us where we at. Thats how you struggle with average to bad teams like GT, NC St and UVA.

But it starts with the turnovers.

Ill use a certain game for example to show u how distructive or not turnovers are. Pedo St v Ohio St.

Pedo had 240 yards, Haller had 191 yards passing on 18/42, 0 TDS and the team had no turnovers.

Ohio had a turnover and 365 yards and the game finished 20-12.

Pedo could not do anything on offense but their players did not try to do what wasnt there and they had a chance throughout against a more talented team

If we dont have 3 and 4 turnovers in the last 4 games TVD has played, we win all of them. All things equal maybe even losing the turnover battle by 1.

This is not me defending them not using Brashard or having McCormick on passing downs catching check downs. None of that. Or the fkn slow hass pace of the offense. I am just saying everything has been dominoes from TVD turning the ball over. We could have gone better than 1-3 with Emory, even if he played like he did v Clemson.
The only reason we even made those games close and won v UVA, is the defense.

He has to be removed.
Nice post overall but teams are getting 11 or 12 possessions per game, not six.

Advertisement
Was wondering what the issue was.
Alot of people dont have your deep thought and knowledge of football issues and sometimes when its broken down you can see that somethings are more important than others. Pretty sure, yall got the Lane would do better angle covered and the Fysical Mario angle covered as well.

Your acute insights are always appreciated

Alot of people dont have your deep thought and knowledge of football issues and sometimes when its broken down you can see that somethings are more important than others. Pretty sure, yall got the Lane would do better angle covered and the Fysical Mario angle covered as well.

Your acute insights are always appreciated
I do what I can, when I can do it. You're welcome.

Advertisement
The pace we play at is agonizingly painful. Can only wonder if it’s another indication coaches have no confidence in TVD.

Advertisement
Your eyes are brown.
@JamesQuall
Sony GIF by Bad Boys For Life

Another thing that is killing us is we have turned the ball over a crazy percentage of the time either going in for a score or inside the 25 of the other team. Happened at least 3X last weekend.

Without a doubt, TVD cost us UNC, almost UVA, and NC State. You don’t throw below 50% plus 2 INTs and get to stay in the game. I know the last INT to NC State was late. The guy is obviously struggling and the coaches don’t see that?

If I’m Mario I’m moving on. With all due respect to TVD, he has to figure out where he’s playing next year. If he’s a top tier QB and can’t read the trailing technique, quarters, or simple zones he needs change positions.

Sorry Bud. I believed in you before but I know you’re going through something on the field.

The pace we play at is agonizingly painful. Can only wonder if it’s another indication coaches have no confidence in TVD.

Of course it is. Look at the first drive after halftime. 6 runs, 1 pass. We ran the ball on 3rd and 8 to set up a field goal, which we promptly missed, because #ofcourse.

They don't trust him to not give the ball to the other team. Nor should they. That's the reason you have to play Emory this weekend, and I can't believe I'm even saying that out loud. But TVD has given you no other choice. If he was balling out of control but being reckless and turning it over while being hyper effective, then maybe you live with it. But you're not beating FSU turning the ball over 3 times, period. And it's not like TVD is even doing anything well right now where you'll take the good with the bad. There is no good.

He was too hurt to play against Clemson, and then since he's come back, he's 41/68 for 336 yards with 0 TDs and 5 picks. He also lost a fumble. If you're scoring at home, that's a passer rating of 87.09. There are currently 100 qualified passers in the country....the guy in dead last, 100th out of 100, has a passer rating of 116.28. He's hurt physically, he's hurt mentally, and we have no chance to win with multiple turnovers on Saturday, no matter whether or not he suddenly starts making plays down the field or not. The only path to winning is to protect the ball, win the field position battle, try to hang onto the ball long enough to keep your defensive front fresh, and keep it close into the 4th quarter. Basically the Clemson gameplan, but hopefully more efficient running the ball, as Clemson is much more formidable up front than FSU is. That's the only way you can win this game. Turn it over 3 times, put your defense on the field in quick change situations while they're gassed on short fields, and FSU will score 40.

Advertisement
Back