TV wants no part of Corch Al's scheme (quote)

AG should show TV film of Ndamukong Suh when he was at Nebraska. They 2-gap their defensive tackles, much like we do (in scheme, not in execution). It'll look much different when a quality player is fulfilling that role -- not someone like Curtis Porter, who was god awful. All Porter did his entire career was cry like a little ****. The fact that he played the majority snaps this year is indicative of our lack of talent on the defensive line.

And there's the cannibalization of our players. Curtis Porter, who was actually a really good prospect, played a lot better as a freshmans than he did last year. He was productive and showed flashes of brilliance when he was allowed to be a disruptive force. Porter had a lightning quick first step and could have been an excellent DT in the right system.

Come on-- really? That brilliant freshman campaign when he recorded 4 tackles (2 solo)?

For someone with a "lightning quick" first step, I find it amazing that he ended his college career with 0.0 sacks. I mean Jesus, he should have gotten a half a sack by accident. I don't care what system he's in.

Where did I say he had a "brilliant" freshman campaign? You corch gobblers love to make **** up. I said he was a really good prospect who looked better as a freshman than he did as a senior. In fact, he looked better his entire career than he did when he was completely healthy as a senior, but keep gumming up those corches, who get 500 hung on us every week.

Keep eating the players alive if that makes you guys happy. You guys are so bent on propping up these **** corches that everyone on the team gets thrown to the wolves in the process.

Yes. Porter had a great first step before he was told to bloat up to 340 pounds and play patty cake. You didn't get to see that ability because of what he was asked to do. I paid attention, though, so I saw that quickness before they bloated him up and turned him into a catcher.

Advertisement
Let me get this straight...the scheme that Golden and D'Onofrio run doesn't allow DT's to get off blocks and stop RBs...it doesn't allow them to read pass and get to the QB. Right?

[video=youtube;9KECMoiicGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KECMoiicGA[/video]

looks like they playing patty cake to me.

makes me wanna puke. the defense is so beat down. they have quit on this staff

Let me get this straight...the scheme that Golden and D'Onofrio run doesn't allow DT's to get off blocks and stop RBs...it doesn't allow them to read pass and get to the QB. Right?

[video=youtube;9KECMoiicGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KECMoiicGA[/video]

looks like they playing patty cake to me.

makes me wanna puke. the defense is so beat down. they have quit on this staff

1:43. Barf.

Where did I say he had a "brilliant" freshman campaign? You corch gobblers love to make **** up. I said he was a really good prospect who looked better as a freshman than he did as a senior. In fact, he looked better his entire career than he did when he was completely healthy as a senior, but keep gumming up those corches, who get 500 hung on us every week.

Keep eating the players alive if that makes you guys happy. You guys are so bent on propping up these **** corches that everyone on the team gets thrown to the wolves in the process.

Yes. Porter had a great first step before he was told to bloat up to 340 pounds and play patty cake. You didn't get to see that ability because of what he was asked to do. I paid attention, though, so I saw that quickness before they bloated him up and turned him into a catcher.

The kid weighed 334 in high school, so he was already bloated up before he even got here. Rivals rated him the 54th best DT in his class. That's fine, but doesn't exactly scream can't miss prospect. You said he showed "flashes of brilliance". I pointed out that he made 2 solo tackles as a freshman and hasn't registered a sack his entire career. He never did anything here. Maybe it wasn't his fault, because being injured all the time would certainly stunt your development.

Feel free to complain about the scheme, the coach's track record, etc. But don't imply that the staff wasted talent on the defensive line. There was no talent there in the junior and senior classes. For God's sake, we had to take UVA's leftovers at DT before the season started! Btw, they finished 2-10 this year and their defense was awful.

The kid weighed 334 in high school, so he was already bloated up before he even got here. Rivals rated him the 54th best DT in his class. That's fine, but doesn't exactly scream can't miss prospect. You said he showed "flashes of brilliance". I pointed out that he made 2 solo tackles as a freshman and hasn't registered a sack his entire career. He never did anything here. Maybe it wasn't his fault, because being injured all the time would certainly stunt your development.

Feel free to complain about the scheme, the coach's track record, etc. But don't imply that the staff wasted talent on the defensive line. There was no talent there in the junior and senior classes. For God's sake, we had to take UVA's leftovers at DT before the season started! Btw, they finished 2-10 this year and their defense was awful.

Yep. You're right. All the 4 and 5 stars that come here to play defense just suddenly and coincidentally all suck. You can rattle off stats all you want, but it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy because ALL of our stats suck. It's a chicken or the egg type thing when you start relying on bad individual stats to prove a guy sucks when all of our defensive stats are pure garbage.

Porter didn't rack up stats here, but it doesn't change my opinion that he was a gifted guy with a killer first step and quickness who was used wrong. And if you believe this dude played here at 334 before this season, then I'm wasting my time talking to you. That dude was nowhere near 334 when he played here his first few years no matter what they listed him at in HS.

Advertisement
This is a kid who was commited to 3 different schools so I think its more than just scheme on why this kid doesn't wanna go to Miami. I think people tend to forget that.

Yep. You're right. All the 4 and 5 stars that come here to play defense just suddenly and coincidentally all suck. You can rattle off stats all you want, but it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy because ALL of our stats suck. It's a chicken or the egg type thing when you start relying on bad individual stats to prove a guy sucks when all of our defensive stats are pure garbage.

Porter didn't rack up stats here, but it doesn't change my opinion that he was a gifted guy with a killer first step and quickness who was used wrong. And if you believe this dude played here at 334 before this season, then I'm wasting my time talking to you. That dude was nowhere near 334 when he played here his first few years no matter what they listed him at in HS.

There's like 5 of them and they are the best players on the defense. Not sure what your point is?

I agree with you that Porter was used wrong, but the coaches wanted to change the scheme and they believed that Porter would be fine beefing up a bit to fit the scheme better (Porter was listed at 300 as a soph, 308 as a junior, and 325 as a senior). That obviously didn't work as well as they had hoped but it was a necessary risk if they wanted to implement their scheme and have it be successful in the future. I feel like a big issue with our D was that we were transitioning to this new defense and too many players were playing positions that they were not right for. Eventually I believe we will get the right players and hopefully with some adjustments to the scheme (not having LBs/DEs covering the slot) the defense will be much more successful.

I believe TV is misguided about what our defensive lineman do in our scheme though. He says that he wants to be aggressive and beat up on Olineman, but just because we play a two-gap doesnt mean that the defensive line cant be aggressive. I believe our Dlineman just were not instinctive or quick enough to be very successful in this defense. The oline would always get the first punch on our guys which would then make it appear as if they were playing patty cake. With a player of TV's caliber, that would not be the case. He is a quick and strong DT that is already pretty big so he wouldnt be asked to gain weight and possibly lose some quickness, like what may have happened with Porter. TV would have that quickness and use that quick first step to make the first punch on the olineman. He would drive him back and either make a play on the RB or force the RB away from his gaps and to another waiting player. And when it comes to passing plays, as soon as he reads pass, his goal is to beat the onlineman and obviously get to the QB. If done right, the dline still play aggressive in our scheme and we just need the right players to do it.

I know so many people say this but Wilkerson at Temple is truly a great example. In a two gap system he succeeded and played aggressive and had great stats. That may be the one that everyone points to but there have been plenty other great examples in college football and even a few others on the Temple teams of Golden's. In 2008 Junior Gallette was the DE in Temples 3-4 and had 10 TFL and 8 sacks and he only played 8 games. He also had great stats in 2007 but he played more of a hybrid LB that season A great example of another player was the NT Andre Neblett. He had 10 TFL in 2009 7.5 in 2008 and 8.5 TFL to go along with 6 sacks in 2007. For comparisons sake, LSU had two great DTs this year, Anthony Johnson and Ego Ferguson. Johnson had 9 TFL and 3 sacks and Ferguson had 3.5 TFL and 1 sack.

The Dline in this scheme can be plenty aggressive and, as shown, with the right players they can accumulate plenty of stats. Im guessing Valentine just saw our guys this year and doesnt believe he can be aggressive, but hopefully he can see past what our guys did this season and see what he could do, because he is a great talent and would be a star in any system.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back