Turn on NFL Network now - 1981 Dolphins-Chargers playoff game

Advertisement
Just saw a young @RVACane in the crowd...

1670686893528.png

Went to game with my dad. One of the first (of many) times the Dolphins made me cry, to quote Darius Rucker. Also remembered how loud it was all the way through halftime. If Andra Franklin doesn’t fumble late in 4th, we likely win it in regulation and would’ve hosted Cincy in afc championship.

Advertisement

View attachment 218804
We sat on the 45-50 on the side of the OB closest to the freeway now about 30 something rows back from that 1st row rail I think. My grandfather stood in line for hours on the day the Inaugural Dolphins seasons tickets went on sale and got 4 seasons tickets. When they moved to the new stadium they put us on the 5 yard line. My father said no thanks and dropped em.

Advertisement
I was at the OB that day. I was a senior in high school and it was the first time I cried
after a loss. It was just devastating.

I remember it was reported by the Herald that even Shula was crying in the locker room afterwards.

The headline in the Miami Herald the next morning was, “The
Dream that died”.

I was depressed for weeks. So many could’ves and should’ves in that game.

VonSchamman, Andra Franklin, Winslow,…..if any one of 10 plays are made by the Dolphins we win.

Wow they actually throw the ball downfield. I forgot what that looked like

I was just a little kid watching the game in my living room. Even though my team lost, I couldn’t even be that upset. I knew I had just watched the best football game ever.

Advertisement
One of the greatest football games of all time, and in the Orange Bowl.

Masterpiece.

I remember being upset that day because I had to pull 8 hour shift at Alterman Transport in Opa Locka starting sometime around kickoff...so downbeat about it I refused to listen on radio...so I get home to realize the game was still on with entire family watching....what a day....a buddy of mine who worked at a bar downtown tells me later Chargers' Chuck Muncie was at bar night before game drinking and some other stuff associated with soFla back in those days...lol.

Advertisement
About 14 years old, at home watching this game. Parents just bought a TV with a remote control. That's right - first tv with a remote control..for the family. Dad's at the fire department and won't be home til the next morning. Fins go down 3 TD's at which time I slam said remote control to the ground, resulting in multiple pieces splattering throughout the living room. Panicked, yet cool under pressure, am able to piece it back together w/o mom (in the next room) noticing. Severe *** whoopin' avoided. Fins rally, but ends badly. Still a win for the kid though, all things considered😎.

View attachment 218804
Shorts like that, worn by males indiscriminately, were the norm. Riding up so high in the center like that - Forced some tough decisions. The only correct one was split the balls on the tight cutline at the crotch, and hope they stayed that way. If both flipped to one side you had a difficult problem to solve in public.

Shorts like that, worn by males indiscriminately, were the norm. Riding up so high in the center like that - Forced some tough decisions. The only correct one was split the balls on the tight cutline at the crotch, and hope they stayed that way. If both flipped to one side you had a difficult problem to solve in public.
Even in 81 I wasn't wearing Sh*t like that....I was wearing OP's that weren't nearly that short...OP's (Ocean Pacific) were the sh*t back then...Corduroy or Non-Corduroy...

Advertisement
Back