Official Tuesday Media: OC Shannon Dawson & DC Lance Guidry

Advertisement
Advertisement
DDA87B64-40C8-4195-9464-67A84411CD67.jpeg
How those guys sounded compared to the recent guys

Based on Dawson's press conference. He's already stating "who we are" as a run first team. Also in talking about receivers he mentions that it's a position that is normally on the slow end around this time and didn't express too much on the positive side.
That's not what he said. He didn't say it's a run-first team. He said he wants to be physical with backs and TEs because it builds toughness for a team. But if they can run it, they can throw it for more because the D will be drawn to defend the run.

Advertisement
My takeaways from each of the interviews:
1) Shannon Dawson
- TVD is the guy. Extremely accurate and picks up things fast.​
- He seems very intrigued by Browns skillset. Said he's got everything.​
- Will take it slow with Emory.​
- Grew up watching the canes of old and has to pinch himself that he's at the U.​
- Knocked it out of the park with Beard and Harris Jr. as position coaches.​
- Adapts scheme to players on roster.​
- Has an idea of who will be the go to WR but won't say who (my guess is X).​
My initial take: breath of fresh air compared to Gattis who seemed **** bent on running his scheme. I'll wait and see but early reviews are positive.
2) Lance Guidry
- He embraces being cajun lol.​
- Kam - really intelligent, bell cow of the defense, will ask him to do even more.​
- Caleb Spencer - young, don't know a lot yet.​
- Fell in love with the old Miami teams with how they played and the swagger.​
- Very excited for JT to be leading the D Line. Called him a future D Coordinator at the college or NFL level.​
- Called Derek Nicholson special and a future DC as well. He shoutout Addae as well.​
- 4-2-5 is base D.​
- Loves giving pregame speeches (can't wait).​
- Calls Mauigoa a natural player. :)
My initial take: he oozes passion and energy. This guy gets you fired up. Can't wait to see what he does with this defense.

I like the Mauigoa take on def. Dude will bring some needed physicality to the linebacker spot on def.

Guidry sounds like a good mix of a players coach and no nonsense when someone needs tough love.

Like how Dawson is allowing the WRs to compete and then separate themselves...didn't talk about the off-season program etc etc...said if guys make plays during live ball, they'll get a shout-out...other than that, we're all even and competing. That's how you send a message to the freshman WRs loud and clear, that if you're ready to play, prove it by making plays during live action, not 7v7.

Advertisement
Since we virtually ran off all of our "Star" players because of Steele's system..who do we have that can play that role currently on the roster?

Both guys seem really down to earth and likeable. Ive heard the "I cater my scheme to fit my personnel" way too often around Hecht over the last decade to just take Dawson's word for it so lets hope hes not a liar like the rest of them were.

HOT TAKE: Guidry is going to be Mario's sidekick for as long as hes here as HC. I think Mario was looking for a "hitman" and found one. Everyone needs a "Mickey Andrews" type who will be with you for 20 years and never leave and Mario knew that and took a chance on a guy who has 3 DUIs and will be forever grateful and loyal for Mario giving him a shot at the major leagues when nobody else would. Just my take especially after seeing this interview.

Advertisement
Being from Louisiana, coaching in southern Mississippi, and then Houston, and you think he's not used to the heat or humidity? He's a Cajun, he's not from the Arctic :LOL:

South Florida is cooler than those places on average during the summer so I'm sure he's plenty used to it.
True, and the humidity level should be super familiar...........................soggy, bud...........
Great disposition, and they both have that let's go attitude that Mario will love....now start working........hard........show us........

Since we virtually ran off all of our "Star" players because of Steele's system..who do we have that can play that role currently on the roster?

Both guys seem really down to earth and likeable. Ive heard the "I cater my scheme to fit my personnel" way too often around Hecht over the last decade to just take Dawson's word for it so lets hope hes not a liar like the rest of them were.

HOT TAKE: Guidry is going to be Mario's sidekick for as long as hes here as HC. I think Mario was looking for a "hitman" and found one. Everyone needs a "Mickey Andrews" type who will be with you for 20 years and never leave and Mario knew that and took a chance on a guy who has 3 DUIs and will be forever grateful and loyal for Mario giving him a shot at the major leagues when nobody else would. Just my take especially after seeing this interview.
I'll take it and the
200.gif
too...........just win and get us back on track.........
what the **** do you think Saban has done for multiple years.....???. Ever heard of Sark in Texas?.........
The Cajun hot sauce with our SoFla kick will get our mojo going and 23 will be a **** of a year.......

I’m cautiously optimistic about what we may see out on the gridiron this season from our Canes.

These 2 are straight up, no nonsense kind of dudes, and very smart and personable. You can tell that Dawson wanted to tell Navarro to F-off when he asked him that ridiculously stupid question.

My only apprehension is that Dawson talked about possibly running the ball more than throwing it, so I hope that Mario is not trying to meddle into what the offense will look like. He needs to just recruit, lead, and let the football minds do their thing.

The positive is that he seems like the kind of coach that won’t try to fit a square peg into a round hole. He spoke about being flexible with his scheme, and very open to making adjustments depending on personnel and a player’s skill sets. I think he’s gonna do really well here, as long as he gets total control.

Guidry seems like the kind of guy that every kid would want to play for, while still chewing them out when he needs to. Tough love. He also seems like the kind of guy that will recruit well, and hopefully he’ll be able to pull some top recruits from Louisiana. I’m excited to see what our D will look like under his leadership. Also loved how he praised the other coaches, and said that he was always open to suggestions from them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back