Truth about Saban

I will add this, so that maybe a few CIS posters can learn something new about Butch (and Pete).

It wasn't just scouting/game film, and some magical bionic eye installed in Butch's head...Butch and Pete put together 5 x 7 note cards on every recruit, they talked to EVERYBODY who would talk to them, all the way down to school janitors, just to assemble a complete picture of every kid's character and competitiveness.

There have not been 2 guys who set up a more thorough background-checking system on recruits until the recent modern-day computerized data/unlimited staff era.

Butch still has a great eye for talent, but some of his other skills have been copied and utilized more widely over the last few years.
He had no choice..Thanks to the Pile of **** Erickson left....As I said before...The NCAA was sleeping with Rosary Beads Praying UM would Veer off course from 95 on....And another Fact....UMs FB teams GPA went off the Charts from 95-2000....@TheOriginalCane...you know thats factual...

Advertisement
He had no choice..Thanks to the Pile of **** Erickson left....As I said before...The NCAA was sleeping with Rosary Beads Praying UM would Veer off course from 95 on....And another Fact....UMs FB teams GPA went off the Charts from 95-2000....@TheOriginalCane...you know thats factual...
No one gets ncaa hates Miami and usc and same with smu becauee they are big city programs. College football is small towns and college towns. Plus if they want after Alabama or at other school like that they would destroy local economies. La, Miami, and Dallas can survive it

Best 2 CFB Coaching Minds in 35yrs....

12170732_938998309471262_407399646_n.jpg

Advertisement
This is a blatant lie.

He wasn’t under sanctions for six years. Not a single player on the 2001 team was recruited with sanctions looming. They were concluding or had ended when they signed here.

While under sanctions Butch’s teams got curb stomped by every any good team they played.

I'll say this politely.

Could you please leave? Can you just be a fan later?

You are ignorant. You behave as if sanctions miraculously dissipate. As if sanctions have no lingering impacts. You are so dopey.

In addition to the self-imposed scholarship reductions in 1995, Miami lost 13 scholarships for the 1996-97 school year, and 11 scholarships for the 1997-98 school year. Those scholarship reductions had an impact for the 4-5 years that the players we COULDN'T SIGN would have been in school.

So would you care to tell me again how the players on the 2001 team, several of whom signed in 1997, AND ALL OF WHOM PLAYED WHEN OUR ROSTER SIZE WAS IMPACTED BY THE SCHOLARSHIP LOSSES, were not impacted by the sanctions.

Additionally, you completely ignore the impact on recruiting (yes, after sanctions end) because the sanctions led to so many games being lost (and recruits don't like to come to a losing school).

This isn't like the end of Prohibition, when everyone could drink beer again. The sanctions weakened Miami for four years after they "ended" in 1997-1998. To argue otherwise is just insane.

As for your bloviating about getting "curb stomped by every any good team they played"...

In 1995 (self-imposed scholarship reductions, self-imposed bowl ban), did Miami beat an end-of-year Top 20 Syracuse team? Yes we did.
In 1995, did Miami lose a road game to an end-of-year Top 10 Virginia Tech team by only 6 points (not a "curb stomping")? Yes we did.
In 1995, did Miami finish as Big East co-champs with a 6-1 conference record and ranked in the Top 20? Yes we did.
In 1996, did Miami beat an end-of-year Top 25 Syracuse team? Yes we did.
In 1996, did Miami beat a then Top 15 West Virginia team that finished 8-4 and just outside the Top 25? Yes we did.
In 1996, did Miami finish as Big East co-champs with a 6-1 conference record and ranked in the Top 15? Yes we did.
In 1997, did Miami lose a road game to an end-of-year Top 25 Virginia Tech team by only 2 points? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami beat a then #3 UCLA team? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami beat a then Top 15 West Virginia team that finished 8-4 and just outside the Top 25? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami lose to an end-of-year Top 25 Virginia Tech team in overtime? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami finish #2 in the Big East and ranked in the Top 20? Yes we did.

I won't even bother with 1999 and 2000, when you know **** well we weren't getting "curb-stomped".

Butch was great. Saban is great as well. Who cares? We should be focused on if Manny can compete with Dabo.

I
I'm just replying to people

No you're not. There are thousands of people and thousands of posts on CIS.

You keep finding all the ones about Nick Saban.

Let it go. Is something bad going to happen if you don't try to rebut every Nick Saban criticism? Is it personal, or is it OCD?

Advertisement

Yep. And on the academic side, credit must also be given to Dr. Anna Price.

All you had to do was go into her office and see all the pictures to realize how much those players loved what she did to help them adjust to college and get their degrees.

I'll say this politely.

Could you please leave? Can you just be a fan later?

You are ignorant. You behave as if sanctions miraculously dissipate. As if sanctions have no lingering impacts. You are so dopey.

In addition to the self-imposed scholarship reductions in 1995, Miami lost 13 scholarships for the 1996-97 school year, and 11 scholarships for the 1997-98 school year. Those scholarship reductions had an impact for the 4-5 years that the players we COULDN'T SIGN would have been in school.

So would you care to tell me again how the players on the 2001 team, several of whom signed in 1997, AND ALL OF WHOM PLAYED WHEN OUR ROSTER SIZE WAS IMPACTED BY THE SCHOLARSHIP LOSSES, were not impacted by the sanctions.

Additionally, you completely ignore the impact on recruiting (yes, after sanctions end) because the sanctions led to so many games being lost (and recruits don't like to come to a losing school).

This isn't like the end of Prohibition, when everyone could drink beer again. The sanctions weakened Miami for four years after they "ended" in 1997-1998. To argue otherwise is just insane.

As for your bloviating about getting "curb stomped by every any good team they played"...

In 1995 (self-imposed scholarship reductions, self-imposed bowl ban), did Miami beat an end-of-year Top 20 Syracuse team? Yes we did.
In 1995, did Miami lose a road game to an end-of-year Top 10 Virginia Tech team by only 6 points (not a "curb stomping")? Yes we did.
In 1995, did Miami finish as Big East co-champs with a 6-1 conference record and ranked in the Top 20? Yes we did.
In 1996, did Miami beat an end-of-year Top 25 Syracuse team? Yes we did.
In 1996, did Miami beat a then Top 15 West Virginia team that finished 8-4 and just outside the Top 25? Yes we did.
In 1996, did Miami finish as Big East co-champs with a 6-1 conference record and ranked in the Top 15? Yes we did.
In 1997, did Miami lose a road game to an end-of-year Top 25 Virginia Tech team by only 2 points? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami beat a then #3 UCLA team? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami beat a then Top 15 West Virginia team that finished 8-4 and just outside the Top 25? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami lose to an end-of-year Top 25 Virginia Tech team in overtime? Yes we did.
In 1998, did Miami finish #2 in the Big East and ranked in the Top 20? Yes we did.

I won't even bother with 1999 and 2000, when you know **** well we weren't getting "curb-stomped".
Butch came to a program that had played for or won the National Championship close to 10 times in the two decades preceding it. It was the hottest program in college football for two decades. The previous two coaches went on to the NFL. We were where kids went who wanted rings.

Local kids and coaches worshiped it. A scholarship offer from Miami was THE ride. Every roster in the NFL was littered with UM Pro Bowlers. We dominated the draft and humiliated Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Nebraska and the traditional powers regularly. I watched them murder Kerwin Bell the last time the Turds went to the OB before the hiatus. The rewrote the rules because of us. UM football revolutionized college football forever.

The sanctions were taken over three years. By 1998 any kid signing knew they were in the past. Butch deserves all the credit in the world for building them from there, but give me a break with the whole "kids don't want to go to a losing school" bull****. We were still THE school. Stop rewriting history by making it seem we were terrible forever. That is complete and total nonsense.

You also cherry picked a lot of near misses and wins over some truly **** teams. Check out the record of the teams we beat in that 1998, 8 win season. It was a joke.

He was 0-10 against FSU and Virginia Tech. He lost to those two schools by a combined 43 points in 1999. He lost to VT, Syracuse and FSU by a combined 72 points in 1998. He got smoked by FSU 47-0 in 1997 just to name a few.

I was there man. For all of it. I was in the stands for just about every single one of the beatdowns in the Orange Bowl. For every humiliating, bumbling effort. From FSU to Penn State in the pouring rain, I sat through the misery.

So go away doofus, and take that "be a fan later"nonsense with you.

You don't know ****.

Ok I’ll play along. Butch Davis built one of college football’s greatest rosters ever under trying circumstances. His 2000 team could have played for a NC but the loss to the Huskies and unimpressive win against LaTech cost them a shot. After he left for the Browns in 2001, the “greatest team ever” was a BC TDAway, they were inside the 15 with a chance to win the game and a Va Tech dropped 2 pt conversion from overtime. Either of those bounces go the other way........ NCs are hard to assume, our 86 team is proof of that, they were better than Penn State at every position and lost the game. Our 2002 team fell victim to a bad call, same in 88. It takes talent and a few good bounces a a call or 2 to win it all, no matter who is coaching. Saban has 6 titles, debate it all you want, he’ll still have 6 rings. One more thing, guys love to bash Coach E and his private life, he’s the only UM Coach with TWO rings and don’t come with “he won with Jimmy’s kids” because guess what....Jimmy won ONE with his kids. Speaking of talent we had a few guys from 83-93 that were pretty good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Butch came to a program that had played for or won the National Championship close to 10 times in the two decades preceding it. It was the hottest program in college football for two decades. The previous two coaches went on to the NFL. We were where kids went who wanted rings.

Local kids and coaches worshiped it. A scholarship offer from Miami was THE ride. Every roster in the NFL was littered with UM Pro Bowlers. We dominated the draft and humiliated Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Nebraska and the traditional powers regularly. I watched them murder Kerwin Bell the last time the Turds went to the OB before the hiatus. The rewrote the rules because of us. UM football revolutionized college football forever.

The sanctions were taken over three years. By 1998 any kid signing knew they were in the past. Butch deserves all the credit in the world for building them from there, but give me a break with the whole "kids don't want to go to a losing school" bull****. We were still THE school. Stop rewriting history by making it seem we were terrible forever. That is complete and total nonsense.

You also cherry picked a lot of near misses and wins over some truly **** teams. Check out the record of the teams we beat in that 1998, 8 win season. It was a joke.

He was 0-10 against FSU and Virginia Tech. He lost to those two schools by a combined 43 points in 1999. He lost to VT, Syracuse and FSU by a combined 72 points in 1998. He got smoked by FSU 47-0 in 1997 just to name a few.

I was there man. For all of it. I was in the stands for just about every single one of the beatdowns in the Orange Bowl. For every humiliating, bumbling effort. From FSU to Penn State in the pouring rain, I sat through the misery.

You don't know ****.

More dopey nonsense from you.

It doesn't matter what UM was "before sanctions". Those sanctions were brutal. Hey, SMU used to be a pretty big deal at one time too, but they got the death penalty. You literally bloviated for three paragraphs to tell us what we already knew, that UM was very desirable pre-sanctions.

Oh, and now you're whining about "cherry-picking"? Maybe you shouldn't be such an absolutist telling us how EVERY good team "curb-stomped" Butch. All I did was to provide the examples that are the opposite of your false statements.

And don't try to act like you are some sort of expert because "you were there man". What a joke. I've had UM student status or Hurricane Club/season ticket holder status since 1986. I was "there man" for all of the good and the bad.

Look, if you want to wallow in your "humiliation" and "misery", then you should go full-Chuck-Rhodes and find a ********** to get you through all of your emotions.

But, sure, you earn some sort of a special badge because you sat through some rainy games. Try actually being friends and classmates with players, getting to know coaches. Walk a mile in their shoes and learn what sanctions did to the program. Talk to recruits who chose Miami, as well as those who DID NOT choose Miami, and find out how important "upcoming" or "current" or "former" sanctions were in their decision-making process.

You are one of those "special" dimwit fans who immediately expected an undefeated season in 1998, because "sanctions are over".

You're no fan. You're just a person who pays money to try to live vicariously through kids who are far more talented and hard-working than you will ever be.

"Sanctions were over". You are ridiculous. The scholarships lost in 1997 impacted us for FOUR YEARS.

But look at you, nitpicking margins of victory and strength of schedule for a Head Coach who lost nearly 30 scholarships. You're a "real man", aren't you?

Advertisement
Someone needs to subpoena Saban for depo on the Epstein case.

Yep. And on the academic side, credit must also be given to D

You don't know ****.
Lol you were in the Stands...And??...While you were in the stands during games during Butch's tenure...I was standing on the sidelines...and had free reign from Hecht to Greentree...Go away....

Ok I’ll play along. Butch Davis built one of college football’s greatest rosters ever under trying circumstances. His 2000 team could have played for a NC but the loss to the Huskies and unimpressive win against LaTech cost them a shot. After he left for the Browns in 2001, the “greatest team ever” was a BC TDAway, they were inside the 15 with a chance to win the game and a Va Tech dropped 2 pt conversion from overtime. Either of those bounces go the other way........ NCs are hard to assume, our 86 team is proof of that, they were better than Penn State at every position and lost the game. Our 2002 team fell victim to a bad call, same in 88. It takes talent and a few good bounces a a call or 2 to win it all, no matter who is coaching. Saban has 6 titles, debate it all you want, he’ll still have 6 rings. One more thing, guys love to bash Coach E and his private life, he’s the only UM Coach with TWO rings and don’t come with “he won with Jimmy’s kids” because guess what....Jimmy won ONE with his kids. Speaking of talent we had a few guys from 83-93 that were pretty good!

Alcoholism isn't just your "private life". I was a personal eyewitness to numerous Drunken Dennis episodes. I still love him as a coach, but it's hard to separate the job performance from "his private life" in this particular situation.

Reputations precede people. It was an open secret that you could often find Erickson down at the Alumni House/Faculty Club bar. Hard to maintain team discipline with 85 kids (most under the age of 21) in those circumstances.

I don't hate the guy, he was a helluva coach. But he also had some serious problems that were not just "private life". I wish he could have gotten things under control sooner and stayed at UM longer. Jumping to the NFL sure as **** didn't fix things.

Advertisement
More dopey nonsense from you.

It doesn't matter what UM was "before sanctions". Those sanctions were brutal. Hey, SMU used to be a pretty big deal at one time too, but they got the death penalty. You literally bloviated for three paragraphs to tell us what we already knew, that UM was very desirable pre-sanctions.

Oh, and now you're whining about "cherry-picking"? Maybe you shouldn't be such an absolutist telling us how EVERY good team "curb-stomped" Butch. All I did was to provide the examples that are the opposite of your false statements.

And don't try to act like you are some sort of expert because "you were there man". What a joke. I've had UM student status or Hurricane Club/season ticket holder status since 1986. I was "there man" for all of the good and the bad.

Look, if you want to wallow in your "humiliation" and "misery", then you should go full-Chuck-Rhodes and find a ********** to get you through all of your emotions.

But, sure, you earn some sort of a special badge because you sat through some rainy games. Try actually being friends and classmates with players, getting to know coaches. Walk a mile in their shoes and learn what sanctions did to the program. Talk to recruits who chose Miami, as well as those who DID NOT choose Miami, and find out how important "upcoming" or "current" or "former" sanctions were in their decision-making process.

You are one of those "special" dimwit fans who immediately expected an undefeated season in 1998, because "sanctions are over".

You're no fan. You're just a person who pays money to try to live vicariously through kids who are far more talented and hard-working than you will ever be.

"Sanctions were over". You are ridiculous. The scholarships lost in 1997 impacted us for FOUR YEARS.

But look at you, nitpicking margins of victory and strength of schedule for a Head Coach who lost nearly 30 scholarships. You're a "real man", aren't you?
Dont waste your time K....he's not worth it...His Douchebaggery could wash out an Elephants ******...

Alcoholism isn't just your "private life". I was a personal eyewitness to numerous Drunken Dennis episodes. I still love him as a coach, but it's hard to separate the job performance from "his private life" in this particular situation.

Reputations precede people. It was an open secret that you could often find Erickson down at the Alumni House/Faculty Club bar. Hard to maintain team discipline with 85 kids (most under the age of 21) in those circumstances.

I don't hate the guy, he was a helluva coach. But he also had some serious problems that were not just "private life". I wish he could have gotten things under control sooner and stayed at UM longer. Jumping to the NFL sure as **** didn't fix things.
His recruiting was Absolute Garbage from 91 to 94....he lost Absolute control of the team...Players were out till 4 am the morning of NC against Bama...

His recruiting was Absolute Garbage from 91 to 94....

You don't have to tell me about that. One of my roommates was a football player, I saw our recruiting pitch letter at the time, it was a brag piece about how many of our football players had at least 1 ring over the past decade. And, yes, it was factually accurate, but it was arrogant as ****.

Every year, more JJ guys left and more Erickson recruits came in, and our team kept fielding more entitled dip****es who didn't have the same work ethic. They just expected to strap on the helmet, win games, and get drafted to the NFL. Sad days.

Butch fixed A LOT of stuff.

Remind us all in what capacity you roamed those sidelines again? How much you were paid to be there?

Advertisement
Back