Trevor Darling and our OL outlook

tru2c

Redshirt Freshman
what are your thoughts on Darling and how he performed against FSU/how good can he be down the road? Would love to hear some qualified opinions on that. Admittedly dont know sh** about how to judge OL performance, but from what I saw it looked like he got manhandled a few times. The draw play on our last possession stands out, as does duke's rushing td where he had to bounce it way outside cause darling got completely blown up. That said, we also ran the ball well all game long, and decently protected Kaaya, so he must have done well most of the time? He's also a true freshman so that has to be taken into account.

Just curious mainly since we're losing Flowers this year and since we can all agree solid OL play is key to success no matter how good Kaaya and the skill players are. Guess i'll just parlay this into a question on the OL's outlook in general the next couple seasons with Linder, KC Mcdermott, Darling, etc.

Advertisement
He held his own for most of the night, but did get pushed around some. He should be a good one though considering he is a true frosh. O-line going forward with Darling, KC McDermott, Linder, Gadbois, and others should be good going forward. If Flowers comes back this would be huge for next year!

Darling and the OL as a whole did a great job. Darling did get beat, but the offense does not ask him to block so long that he is alway on an island with an elite defender. Kaaya also does a great job of getting rid of the ball as well. I think the OL will struggle eary in the year due to inexperience. I fully expect to see Darling and KC on the line next season. Gotta find a replacement for Mongo and Shane's leadership though.

We can talk **** about our DT recruiting all we want but the staff has brought in some studs on the OL. For all the talk about how winning in the trenches is the difference between being a National Champion and just being a really good team..we have half of the equation on lock. Our Oline will be in great hands for the foreseeable future. If Flowers comes back (which I think he should), we should have a great Oline next year. Even without him, I am very comfortable with Gadbois/Isidora/Linder/Darling/KC and Gall being the 6th guy.

Darling did a **** of a job against a top rated opponent in primetime. He played a good game as a true freshman. Lets not judge him on 1 or 2 plays. Look at the whole game and you will clearly see what type of player he is. Not once did he let his man come near Kaaya. His future looks bright as well as our other young pups on the line.

Advertisement
We can talk **** about our DT recruiting all we want but the staff has brought in some studs on the OL. For all the talk about how winning in the trenches is the difference between being a National Champion and just being a really good team..we have half of the equation on lock. Our Oline will be in great hands for the foreseeable future. If Flowers comes back (which I think he should), we should have a great Oline next year. Even without him, I am very comfortable with Gadbois/Isidora/Linder/Darling/KC and Gall being the 6th guy.

remember all of the vitriol for Kehoe
just go back last year, beginning of this year...
Morris was sacked like 15 times last year, and 10 were his fault
the OL has allowed this running crew nearly 7 per carry and less than 25 sacks with a frosh QB

Darling will be all acc soon. Kid has mammoth size...and solid feet...pretty much that sall yo need at tackle. FEET...are important. His are solid.
He's a young pup..but someone im not even worried about.,..in spring he looked better than KC Mcdermott..and KC is a guy that would be logging minutes this year.

I like our young ol....Kehoe cant even f up when you ge thim quality talent..guys like Linder got a1 coaching at sta..Darling played against top notch talent his whole high school career..KC has bloodlines..these guys were ready to play THIS year.

Maybe I have orange and green colored glasses on, but I'll take the young nucleus of the UM O-line against anyone in the country. Miami's been recruiting studs and Kehoe has done a great job with the material given to him

This is our best OL since probably 2005. They've played great. I don't think it'll stop in the future, either.

Advertisement
Adding St. Louis and Milo on the outside in 15 makes our OL a strength of the team moving forward IMO

wondering where we will be able to fit KC Mcdermot in, if Darling solidifies the RT spot

wondering where we will be able to fit KC Mcdermot in, if Darling solidifies the RT spot

Well we need 2 OTs next year bc I think Flowers moves on.

Imagine it will be Gadbois at one and Darling or KC with the other moving inside to G.

Gadbois, Darling, McDermott, Linder, Isadora would be my guess at the starting 5.

1 JR, 3 SO, 1 FR (if McDermott can get a medical). Plus all the guys we are bringing in this year. Future at OL is a big bright spot.

Last edited:
Darling and the OL as a whole did a great job. Darling did get beat, but the offense does not ask him to block so long that he is alway on an island with an elite defender. Kaaya also does a great job of getting rid of the ball as well. I think the OL will struggle eary in the year due to inexperience. I fully expect to see Darling and KC on the line next season. Gotta find a replacement for Mongo and Shane's leadership though.

I think we will be fine at the OT positions as far as KC and Darling go.... after that its a ton of FR coming in... as far as the interior line goes I feel we'll be fine... Linder at C, Gall replaces Mongo and Isidora has some experience now. Although I didn't like the shuffling of the O-line that Al does I see what he is doing... He is eliminating the inexperience. Gall is not a starter and thought he would be a major factor by now but Linder has surpassed him and that doesn't sit well with me... hopefully he gets it together... he'll be a JR next year as well as Isidora Linder a true SO Gadbois a SR and KC a SO and Darling. And all with have a Strength and conditioning spring training under there belts... and we will have a huge infusion of talent coming in as well. I'm hoping Flowers stays if Duke stays... hoping they get their degrees and that is a motivational factor for them and their families... the money will be there for Flowers this year or the next... more for next year.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I may be alone on this but I want Kc on the inside, at least in the short-term. Darling is better at tackle. Hopefully, we get Flowers and Gadbois back, which would make that decision easier.

Our OL is the best unit on the team. And played that say Saturday. Kaaya didn't get touched until late in the game.

I may be alone on this but I want Kc on the inside, at least in the short-term. Darling is better at tackle. Hopefully, we get Flowers and Gadbois back, which would make that decision easier.

D$ you know Flowers is gone, boys going to make that bank. KC and Darling should make good bookend tackles for next 2 seasons.

Advertisement

Can KC play guard? Seems to me that for some time we have all tackles and move some in to play guard. Maybe football has changed since I played, but I remember short yardage and goal line was all about "he who gets lowest wins." Taller guys have more trouble getting low. We seem to have trouble in short yardage. I would like to see some real pure guards in the middle. Little tired of Al's guys that play every position on the line. Tackle is about arm length and feet. Inside, leverage and the quickness to pull are more important. Centers need brains. Has all that changed?

Anyway, like everything else about the team, line got much better after the banners. Just saying.

OL is the one of the few positions where I think we have the talent to compete with anyone. Think we will be okay next year even if Flowers bolts.

I'm still not sure what TD's best position is. Is he a mauler or does he have the feet to be a RT? Same goes for KCM.

Regardless, Linder, KCM, TD, Izzy, and Gadbois are real solid guys to have for the next few years. Need one of Gall or Wells to step up.

Darling actually looks a lot better in pass pro than run blocking. In the former he shows very light feet and his long arms a re a real asset. Run blocking he seems to lack the power (maybe technique?) and constantly gets man-handled, often by smaller opponents. He also whiffed on a LOT of blocks in the run game when asked to reach an opponent who was further away.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back