Trevonte Citizen injury considered serious [Sep 23 - *may* return this year]

Advertisement
they were the best. i went to 10-15 and back then the tickets were actually affordable. i saw van halen and paid $35 per ticket and they were pretty good tickets

i just bought 4 tickets for luis miguel (don't ask, for the wife and her parents) and paid $500 per tickets for tickets in the 20th row. they are reselling for $2000 PER TICKET

**** that, sell those things and take them on a week long baller vacation in Puerto Rico or elsewhere. A few hours versus a week together.

Oh we talking films? This is my bag…Im a young cinephile yet it is so easy for me to recognize how objectively better the movies of the 50s, 60s and 70s were…i think quality decline started around the 80s and never recovered. Speaking of world cinema not just America

just watched two classics in “network” and “all the president’s men.” Network could have been written yesterdaY. Underrated American essential gem “The education of Sonny Carson”
Three African Recs:: Yeelen, Hyenas 92, and Touki Bouki

as far as musicians go my goat is Bob Marley and there is no one close to him in this geneRation

Last edited:
Speaking tangentially of Poitier, i love quincy jones’ film scores who worked with S.P. A lot. It is a bit depressing no black musicians have filled that movie score door Jones opened.

Off-topic QJones story on telling Spielberg to change E.T.’s design because he Looked too much like a brother Is an all timer

Advertisement
Not this generation. Probably have to go back to the 90’s. There’s been many hits, but timeless that will transcend over many generations forever?? Yeah, that’s tough.
Rell, love the reply and I will answer this based on your reply. I’d like to qualify my answer with this; I’m a 58 year old black man who loves different genres of music:

LYNYRD SKYNYRD - Simple Man

One of if not the greatest music recording of all times.

My two cents…… Board, have at it. Agree, pick it apart, and your own.

the late 1960s to late 1970s produced the best music ever IMO. hard rock (Zeppelin, Lynard Skynard, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath etc.), disco, R&B (see list above), Soul, American Folk Rock (Crosby Stills Nash etc.). After CSN and the like, R&B is my favorite. those guys could sing, write songs, play music and mostly importantly DANCE.

none of the music today can touch the musicians of that era. NONE. take for instance Earth Wind & Fire. you had world class musicians, song writers, singers arrangers, producers and to boot super cool people that everyone wanted to look like/imitate.
Didn’t have read all it….I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd and I’m agreeing. Lol

Topic derailed
trainwreck GIF

Advertisement
Rell, love the reply and I will answer this based on your reply. I’d like to qualify my answer with this; I’m a 58 year old black man who loves different genres of music:

LYNYRD SKYNYRD - Simple Man

One of if not the greatest music recording of all times.

My two cents…… Board, have at it. Agree, pick it apart, and your own.

@Dr.L.ThugU thinks New Kids on the block, Milli Vanilli and Informer are the greatest artist of all time. He also visits Thailand for lady boys so there’s that.

Oh we talking films? This is my bag…Im a young cinephile yet it is so easy for me to recognize how objectively better the movies of the 50s, 60s and 70s were…i think quality decline started around the 80s and never recovered. Speaking of world cinema not just America

just watched two classics in “network” and “all the president’s men.” Network could have been written yesterdaY. Underrated American essential gem “The education of Sonny Carson”

as far as musicians go my goat is Bob Marley and there is no one close to him in this geneRation
Touki Bouki was pretty aesthetically pleasing and very French New Wave.

I recommend:
The Great Beauty (2013) by Sorrentino.
400 Blows (1959) by Truffaut.
The Lovers on the Bridge (1991)
Revanche (2008).

1000% spot on, my brotha. U know y I love Denzel, Sidney Portier, Cicely Tyson ? They refused to be put in a box or type cast. I remember seeing an interview w/ Denzel where he said he lost some $$ from turning down roles, but the respect he earned not only created far greater roles, but more importantly, his self respect was never compromised.

I was in the barbershop two weeks ago, & I asked the shop one simple question (& my shop is in thee mutha fonky hood):

Name the last song from a Black artist that didn’t contain lyrics glorifying killing each other or disrespecting our women?

Bro, clippers turned off, eyes in the air thinking. I said do u know why such “artistry” is propaganda’d all on the airwaves targeting our community & u won’t hear a Miley Cyrus, Justin Timberlake or any other pop artist w/ such lyrics? I simply gave them a history lesson from the Jim Crow form of entertainment, to the Blaxploitation form of entertainment, to the now Genocide form of entertainment, along w/ the coincidental result of degradation w/in the community.

I then stepped off my soap box by saying, ‘hey, but as long as they getting $$, taking care of moms & the homies, & revered w/in the community though, right?’
Cole and K.dot would fit that

Advertisement
Advertisement

the decline of hollywood is absolute. and I for one am somewhat glad. in its current form, it is an anti-american propaganda machine.

Tarantino's "once upon a time in hollywood" is an ode to what hollywood was.

Touki Bouki was pretty aesthetically pleasing and very French New Wave.

I recommend:
The Great Beauty (2013) by Sorrentino.
400 Blows (1959) by Truffaut.
The Lovers on the Bridge (1991)
Revanche (2008).
I’ve seen 400 blows. Good and very influential but not one I prefer to rewatch. I like Antonioni: Blow-Up and L’Avventura.

Hadn’t heard of the other 3 adding them to my list good looking out

Advertisement
Back