Trevonte Citizen injury considered serious [Sep 23 - *may* return this year]

Advertisement
Disapprove Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
2 major RB injuries in camp already is brutal if true.
If you want tougher practices its inevitable.. Cant have one without the other..

This next scrimmage is the big one for depth charts and such, competition. Might hit 200 plays, expect guys to get banged up

Advertisement
I'm an MRI tech too (32 years) and you're absolutely right. I've scanned high school kids an hour after injury and you can see an ACL tear easily. I don't know where this wait until the swelling goes down stuff comes from. I know that they do it, but it's not because they can't see an ACL tear. It's by far the easiest knee injury to see on an MRI

Not to butt in, but it appears @SWFLHurricane makes a compelling case. I’m only butting in b/c one of my homies was diagnosed w/ an ACL tear when the swelling was at its optimal level, & it turns out, he had a severe knee sprain upon a second look.

Came across a Q&A w/ an orthopedic surgeon via docpanel.com & this is what she stated:

[DocPanel] What are some common pitfalls in reading a knee MRI and diagnosing ACL injuries?

[Dr. Mehta]

“Common pitfalls in diagnosing ACL tears can be related to suboptimal positioning of your knee during your exam due to considerable swelling and pain, or technical issues with the MRI scanner. Typically, a 1.5 or 3.0 Tesla scanner is preferred.

Additional factors that make it difficult to diagnose an ACL tear are:

scarring of the ligament if the MRI is performed too long after an injury
blood surrounding the ACL
pre-existing degeneration of the ligament
These circumstances make it challenging to accurately interpret a knee MRI. It’s where experience really comes into play. Because general radiologists aren’t getting exposure to different presentations of musculoskeletal injuries and conditions - they do not have the familiarity required to identify these factors, which can lead to an inaccurate reading.”

So it appears that all of u guys r right, but I can definitely see the benefits of a second examination after the swelling has gone down to confirm the first reading. Now, it makes sense why these athletes are constantly getting a 2nd opinion a few days later.

Last edited:
I have but I would say it is the exception.

Lachman test displayed a loose knee (slippage when pulling forward). Doctor said it might be ACL. MRI was partial PCL tear.
I don’t know the percentage but there are plenty of acl injuries that have a negative anterior draw test. But if it is positive then the accuracy is above 90 percent.
I had a complete ACL tear when I was 22 years old while playing soccer. The orthopedic surgeon that I saw told me he needed an MRI to make sure I was OK. After the MRI he sent me to therapy for about a month prior to the surgery because he wanted to make sure my muscles were strong. When I got to therapy the therapist Examined my knee and said are you sure this is a torn ACL?

I got a second opinion from another surgeon and he showed me the images and both ends of my ACL looked like floor mops.

Imo relying on a negative anterior draw test or a Lachlan’s test to determine severity of knee injuries is a mistake.

We’ve seen players show up to college and get mri’s and find out they’ve been playing with acl and labrum tears.

I don’t know what protocols are established at UM or at any college program for a player to get an MRI. But I imagine that getting an mri for every player that tweaks a knee can get expensive.

Advertisement
Back