Trevonte Citizen injury considered serious [Sep 23 - *may* return this year]

Advertisement
Frank Gore
One major difference is that Gore proved he could be great at the highest level when he flashed like crazy as a true freshman in 2001 before getting injured. The other difference is that he proved to be an exception to the rule, playing at a high level for decades on two rebuilt knees. That almost never happens.

I’ll believe Citizen contributes at RB when I see him suited up and successfully toting the rock in live game action. Until then…

56FBAAC9-75B0-4F00-B607-7C7A82892F7D.jpeg
Good to see the kid with the guys.

One major difference is that Gore proved he could be great at the highest level when he flashed like crazy as a true freshman in 2001 before getting injured. The other difference is that he proved to be an exception to the rule, playing at a high level for decades on two rebuilt knees. That almost never happens.

I’ll believe Citizen contributes at RB when I see him suited up and successfully toting the rock in live game action. Until then…

Gore also switched up his style of running after the injuries, not very easy to do, and is going to be in the HOF.

Couldn't agree with you more about Citizen. I expect about as much from him as I do Zion.

Advertisement
I totally think it does.
I would agree. Older folks definitely see racial issues differently, mainly because it was so prevalent and mainstream and I'm a 58 y/o Black male. I know many folks older than me that said things and used words as a matter of course that, had they been said to me, would've resulted in dental surgery.

I’m 37 and haven’t seen the show. Watched the movie many times. Buckwheat’s character will do anything for a dollar and is supremely loyal. His character is meant to be comedic relief. Though this movie isn’t racist the usage of Buckwheat as “token” is part of what was problematic in Hollyhh
Best first post I’ve seen in some time

Advertisement
Don't think he missed 2 seasons off one injury.. think he injured each knee but it's been Soo long ago I don't remember exactly

Gore's history at Miami:

2001 - Killed it as a Freshman
2002 - Tore his ACL in Spring. Redshirted/Sat out all of 2002 season
2003 - Tore his other ACL in 5th game
2004 - Played full season. Skipped Senior year, Turned Pro

Unbelievable career given those knee injuries

Gore's history at Miami:

2002 - Tore his ACL in Spring. Redshirted/Sat out all of 2002 season Could and should have played in Fiesta Bowl

I'll never get over it.

Advertisement
Well, I was a young kid & it was clear it was racist af. Buckwheat was the quintessential definition of stereotype & there were other racist monikers throughout. Not trying to chit on ur childhood, but it is what it was.
Man you have to look at the time period and how it was viewed THEN. That series was developed in 1922 and ran to 1938. Lot of reruns were shown. It was very well received by the black community in that era. Reading a review of what the series was at that time "The series broke new ground by portraying white and black children interacting as equals during the Jim Crow era of racial segregation". Buckwheat started out as a female character in the early years and morphed into a boy at some point. It was produced and filmed in LA and the producers held periodic contests around the community to replace characters as they grew out of the child roles. Things were a lot different 100 years ago when the series of films launched.

Man you have to look at the time period and how it was viewed THEN. That series was developed in 1922 and ran to 1938. Lot of reruns were shown. It was very well received by the black community in that era. Reading a review of what the series was at that time "The series broke new ground by portraying white and black children interacting as equals during the Jim Crow era of racial segregation". Buckwheat started out as a female character in the early years and morphed into a boy at some point. It was produced and filmed in LA and the producers held periodic contests around the community to replace characters as they grew out of the child roles. Things were a lot different 100 years ago when the series of films launched.
We have to remember that for many, many years, the only way for black and brown actors to receive roles was to play stereotypical roles. So whereas we can and should deride how Buckwheat was presented, the very fact that the character was on the show meant some black kids were being paid to act, which was its own major accomplishment.

To get a great feel for how this issue has ripped at black actors, watch Robert Townsend’s classic movie Hollywood Shuffle. And in the process you will be introduced to a litany of black actors that you came to love like Keenan and Damon Wayans.

Advertisement

For the sake of this board, the sake of a history lesson regarding the Pickaninnnies or the systemic reason why it was accepted by “The Black Community” during this time frame, & y only 30 yrs later it was reviled by the same community, I’m just going to say if u think so.

We have to remember that for many, many years, the only way for black and brown actors to receive roles was to play stereotypical roles. So whereas we can and should deride how Buckwheat was presented, the very fact that the character was on the show meant some black kids were being paid to act, which was its own major accomplishment.

To get a great feel for how this issue has ripped at black actors, watch Robert Townsend’s classic movie Hollywood Shuffle. And in the process you will be introduced to a litany of black actors that you came to love like Keenan and Damon Wayans.
The simple fact that in 1922 - 1938 ... then through the 50's ... the young black child was in a feature film watched by virtually every person who went to the movies (there was no TV in those days) was a major accomplishment for the advancement of black people and black rights everywhere. Heck, I spent age 5-11 growing up in a small farm community in SW Minnesota. Town of 4000. We went "back East" to visit my paternal grandparents ... when I returned to Mn to school I was the only child in that community that had ever actually seen and spoken to a black person. That was the early 1950's. I grew up with "Our Gang" in the movies on Saturday and I viewed Buckwheat as my buddy!

Gore's history at Miami:

2002 - Tore his ACL in Spring. Redshirted/Sat out all of 2002 season

1. I've said it on this board 500x, but I will always maintain that the 2001 Frank Gore was the quickest back into and through a hole that I've ever seen in my life, in person. Ever. He wasn't a 4.2 kid, so once he opened it up in the open field he wasn't the fastest guy who ever lived, but coming out of his stance, taking a handoff from a QB, reading the flow of a play and exploding through a hole, I've never seen anything like it. For you young bucks, you gotta remember, 2000 was basically a different world. I had heard of Frank just because he ran for 3000 yards or something close to it his senior year at Gables, but I was from Broward, I never saw him in HS and there weren't infinite internet videos of these kids then. Recruiting was VERY early in terms of how it's covered today. So to most of us, he was just a name on a list and we were excited we were getting this super productive kid from down the road.

But the first time I saw him play in person, which was the Rutgers game in 2001, his first home game, he literally took my breath away. Like I couldn't speak for a second and was like, wait...wtf was that? He was shot out of a ******* cannon. And then he played more and more that year and wound up running for 9.1 yards per carry, and it's not like he carried the ball 12 times. He had over 60 carries and averaged NINE POINT ONE. It was insane in the OB, he would get the ball and people wouldn't even really cheer, you'd just hear this kind of hushed murmur like every single person there was turning to the person next to them and being like "Did I just see that correctly? Who the **** is THAT KID??!" He was absolutely sensational. And we never got to see that back ever again. He played in only 4 more games before he had two blown knees, and STILL is an NFL Hall of Famer. Absolutely amazing.

2. Don't sleep on what was brewing in that 2003 season after the first knee injury. He played in 4 games and had 453 yards and 4 TDs before he got hurt early in Game 5. Jarrett Payton was the only other experienced back on that team. Frank was going to put up 1200+ yards EASY that year, and then bang, there goes another knee.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back