Trevon Hill Video & Observations

Garvin/Hill sounds a lot better than

Garvin/Patchan or Garvin/Rousseau

Not that those guys aren’t capable but the drop off from JJ to them in experience and production was enormous
Why? It sounds better because he's not here yet to visibly make mistakes and the fans come down on him! The guy in waiting is always better then the guy starting on the field because he has nothing yet to be criticized for. Just watch!!

I would take what I know is performing on the field before my eyes before I anoint someone that's not here and coming in with baggage!!

Advertisement
Jackson was a good steady DE for us, but I never really understood the hype around him as a pass rusher other than his physique. He didn’t even dominate bad HS competition at Gulliver. Wasn’t he like an 8 sack guy at Gulliver?

He wasn't the best past rusher, agreed. Even when he was a ripped 250, he had the worst bend. Actually, he might have the tightest hips I've ever seen. But like I've seen other people point out, he had so much natural power. That's why I advocated for him to drop to DT on obvious passing downs.

As for his time in high school, I have no idea. But I can't imagine he was a 15+ sack guy.

I don’t know why Miami fans act like Joe Jackson wasn’t a beast? His strength and pursuit was second to none coming off the edge. Regardless of his limitations imo he was better than Garvin who gets majority of the praise

Last edited:
For as much criticism Joe Jackson gets he’s had a better career than Garvin so far and had a better overall career than great UM DEs like Allen Bailey and Calais Campbell at Miami.

Last edited:
I don’t know why Miami fans act like Joe Jackson wasn’t a beast? His strength and pursuit was second to none coming off the edge. Regardless of his limitations imo he ha Garvin who gets majority of the praise

I would switch Rousseau and Garvin
Up until this point joe Jackson has had more pass rush productivity than garvin if you compare the first 2 years of their respective careers. We need to see an uptick in garvins pass rush productivity this year, he finished the last 5 games with 0 sacks

With speed & power of interests on obvious passing downs:

End: Hill
DT1 - Pocket pusher: J.Ford Or Nesta
DT2: Rousseau!!! (dude is fackin beast). I advocated for Joseph Jackson there last year. Many NFL boards believed he could have played a 5 technique.
End: Garvin

I would switch Rousseau and Garvin

Advertisement
Why? It sounds better because he's not here yet to visibly make mistakes and the fans come down on him! The guy in waiting is always better then the guy starting on the field because he has nothing yet to be criticized for. Just watch!!

I would take what I know is performing on the field before my eyes before I anoint someone that's not here and coming in with baggage!!
So you’re saying I’m saying the guy in waiting (Hill) is better than the other guy in waiting (Rousseau)?

Makes sense bud. You sound emotionally invested so good luck with that.

Agreed. And to be fair this post was a long game time ago. Rousseau coming off a major injury and Patchan being Patchan.

Patchan stayed healthy last year for the first time.

I think having four or more solid ends rotating in and out, if done right, keeps the pressure fresh on the opponent’s tackles and makes TFL and sacks more likely.

Hill is the real wild card..in a positive way. He’s coming in on a money year, with experience, talent and motivation. Imagine what kind of fresh reps we get from him. Can’t wait to see how they all perform.

Advertisement
Patchan stayed healthy last year for the first time.

I think having four or more solid ends rotating in and out, if done right, keeps the pressure fresh on the opponent’s tackles and makes TFL and sacks more likely.

Hill is the real wild card..in a positive way. He’s coming in on a money year, with experience, talent and motivation. Imagine what kind of fresh reps we get from him. Can’t wait to see how they all perform.
Agreed. I like Patchan a lot. Definitely been encouraged at what we’ve been hearing.

My whole original post was about Hill’s experience but sounds like the other dudes are ready to make some serious noise, especially GR

For as much criticism Joe Jackson gets he’s had a better career than Garvin so far and had a better overall career than great UM DEs like Allen Bailey and Calais Campbell at Miami.

Joe Jackson was the better college DE, agreed.

But for lack of better words, I feel and hope Garvin’s production will one day match his freakish ability. 1st round talent, Allen Bailey production - so far.

I don’t know why Miami fans act like Joe Jackson wasn’t a beast? His strength and pursuit was second to none coming off the edge. Regardless of his limitations imo he was better than Garvin who gets majority of the praise
Better than Garvin naw .. Garvin almost had 20 tfl and he flashed more than joe but are guys I would want on my team.JJ needed another year..

Our DL across the board are going to eat like it’s a Chinese buffet special. With Hill, Garvin, Rousseau, Patchan, and Harvey you’d be hard pressed to find a finer group of DE’s in the country. Couple that with better than anticipated DT performance to go along with senior leadership at the LB spot, and this defense will see little if any drop off from a season ago. I have a feeling we’re going to see greater TFL’s and sacks from the group as a whole. I too would love to see a NASCAR style package with all 4 DE’s playing along the line.

Advertisement
Jackson was a good steady DE for us, but I never really understood the hype around him as a pass rusher other than his physique. He didn’t even dominate bad HS competition at Gulliver. Wasn’t he like an 8 sack guy at Gulliver?

So basically people liked because he had a **** body....hilarious!

We all love Patchan and you need a veteran like him on that DLine. 5th year guy who can be a leader especially for a guy like Hill who has had off the field issues and Rousseau who is still young..

That said, its going to be hard to fend Hill off come Fall ball and it will be even harder to keep him off the field. The whole "Doesn't matter who starts, they all will play" narrative sounds great but in the end..you want Garvin/Hill as your alpha starters. That's an ACC championship type starting DE tandem.

Eh, I’m still excited to see what Rousseau is going to do. I think He has loads of talent and garvin/Rousseau >>>> garvin/ patchan. Patchan is who he is a solid 3rd or 4th de or so but not sure he should be starting, good to see him healthy last year though
While I agree with you in general, I myself am extremely excited about Scott Patchan this year. Do I think he is better than Garvin, Rousseau or Hill? No but he doesn't necessarily need to be. Coach Baker said that Patchan had an amazing spring and that he should have been a much bigger story. My point is that if Patchan is back to 100% then that makes our DE rotation that much nastier. Just imagine opposing offenses going against a rotation of Garvin, Hill, Rousseau, Patchan and just for fun we will throw Jafari Harvey at them as well. If anyone can name a more formidable 4-5 man DE rotation in the country then I want to hear it. I literally cannot wait for the season to begin.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Back