Trequon Fegans '22 CB - Now in portal

Advertisement
i Have no knowledge on this, but just in general: we cannot be scared to overspend on a player. It’s going to happen at some point. You’re not going to hit 100% on everyone you sign.

Unfortunately college football is becoming what it is. Spend, or get left behind.
The only teams who don't overspend are teams that can't afford to. Literally everything in college football is overspending.

Could be tampering to a school could be on a kid before us. Anyone from bama UGA and OSU you have to look at quickly. But you right they got to get on that quick unless they are waiting for a specific guy we ourselves are tampering with. Who knows?

That's my position. I mean, we all know Mario is relentless in recruiting. Do we really believe he was letting things slide with these portal kids? The only reasons for him to let off the gas would be 1. He had someone higher on his list and was sequencing the offers or 2. to stay within compliance rules whereas guys like Neon are flagrantly ignoring them.

That's great and all but starting to think this Rodgers guy from MSU isn't pulling his weight given how late we've been to start recruiting portal guys. We seem to have way more urgency with high school kids.
You and I don’t know where the delay is. This guy had no issues getting decisions and players on board at MSU. As I said previously, based on the staff hiring process and in-game clock management we’ve seen, I’d think the delay is more likely with the HC.

You and I don’t know where the delay is. This guy had no issues getting decisions and players on board at MSU. As I said previously, based on the staff hiring process and in-game clock management we’ve seen, I’d think the delay is more likely with the HC.

I think the issue (and purely speculative) is Mario applies his HS approach in recruiting to portal kids. We know Mario is thorough with HS kids. he builds relationships with the kid, his parents etc. Has strict visit requirements, wants kids to visit with parents before making a decision to help cut down on issues down the line. he wants to fully vet them and have the kids fully vet us. It is fine in HS when you have months (or years) to do that.

However he needs to adjust that in the portal. Portal will be much more hit or miss and you have only days. You cant go with the lets analyze this kid then get everyone and your grandma on a visit, take your other visits then make an informed decision. Basically he needs to go from realtor for luxury homes sales approach (where you uncover every rock), to pressure used car salesman tactic. There is ZERO reason Manny should be more successful in the portal than Mario. Yes this approach will leave you with the Tommy Kennedys of transfers but those are the risks you need to take to get the good ones.

Advertisement
I think the issue (and purely speculative) is Mario applies his HS approach in recruiting to portal kids. We know Mario is thorough with HS kids. he builds relationships with the kid, his parents etc. Has strict visit requirements, wants kids to visit with parents before making a decision to help cut down on issues down the line. he wants to fully vet them and have the kids fully vet us. It is fine in HS when you have months (or years) to do that.

However he needs to adjust that in the portal. Portal will be much more hit or miss and you have only days. You cant go with the lets analyze this kid then get everyone and your grandma on a visit, take your other visits then make an informed decision. Basically he needs to go from realtor for luxury homes sales approach (where you uncover every rock), to pressure used car salesman tactic. There is ZERO reason Manny should be more successful in the portal than Mario. Yes this approach will leave you with the Tommy Kennedys of transfers but those are the risks you need to take to get the good ones.
We have done well in the portal. It’s not a home run but we got the best center, arguably the best Mike and a solid guard and solid corner. It’s not doomsday cause usc is nutting all over the portal

We have done well in the portal. It’s not a home run but we got the best center, arguably the best Mike and a solid guard and solid corner. It’s not doomsday cause usc is nutting all over the portal
my apologies if the post came across as me ****ting on our portal takes. I agree we are better than most, top 10 for sure. But out of the people you just listed, we had the brothers of the corner and the mike already on the team so it would take away some of the vetting mario would traditionally do as he is already familiar with those kids and their family and Mario has no problem pulling in elite OL. He gets credit for that obviously, but my point was he is using a tried and true method for recruiting HS kids and is trying to apply it to the portal and I think that is an oversight.

My guess - Probably initially we were priced out, then when he realized he wasn’t getting what he wanted he lowered his NiL target range (basically when he tweeted Recruitment still open tagging all the schools) and now we are in it that demands are more in line with value…

Milk Conjure GIF by zoefannet

Advertisement
What is your theory on paying "asking price" for a portal kid, when the position group he is coming in to is as/or more talented, but are making less NIL money, even if it's a major position group of need? An example may be DT. We have LT and JHH who probably make decent coin, but the group is thin overall. Do you pay exorbitant amounts of money to sure up a position by paying someone like Bear and risk fracturing the locker room?

You'd think after a 4 month hiring process you'd be confident in the abilities of your hires to go out and scout/offer/ and close talent. Nope, gotta micromanage everything.

What is your theory on paying "asking price" for a portal kid, when the position group he is coming in to is as/or more talented, but are making less NIL money, even if it's a major position group of need? An example may be DT. We have LT and JHH who probably make decent coin, but the group is thin overall. Do you pay exorbitant amounts of money to sure up a position by paying someone like Bear and risk fracturing the locker room?
I think no matter what we should treat it like we have a salary cap yearly - assuming money isn’t unlimited which imo is a good assumption. That is how we will have long term success. You can’t afford to overpay guys more than their true value unless you’re entire team is already built to win a championship and that’s the handful of pieces that take you over the top.

Could be tampering to a school could be on a kid before us. Anyone from bama UGA and OSU you have to look at quickly. But you right they got to get on that quick unless they are waiting for a specific guy we ourselves are tampering with. Who knows?
smells like a pivot to me, seems like someone decided to not enter @Cribby

Advertisement
Or pay $2M to Player A, and then have to outlay additional millions to keep your other players?

Advertisement
Hey, Wouldn’t shock me based on what I’ve seen.

It’s funny to me that people are saying definitively that this is based on micromanagement when it might not be that at all, I think it’s much more likely that people aren’t opting to come for whatever reason.

Man, our portal execution needs to improve if we want to make it back to the big boy table. The fact that we are playing catch-up on a player who we've already evaluated at the HS level is disappointing---and at a position of need, no less. We need to be on these kids the second they hit the portal or the teams like USC that reach out earliest with bags will continue to win these battles.

How do you know we are paying asking price?

UM's various NIL payors have been VERY disciplined for two years. Not a lot of counteroffering or matching or renegotiating.

Also, a lot of people don't realize that Fegans had a bunch of NIL lined up at Miami before he committed. So I can imagine that it might not be impossible to reactivate some of those deals.

We shall see. We shall see.

Is Mario delegating too much to Rodgers when it comes to the portal? I know he’s hands on when it comes to the HS prospects but honestly..WTF is going on with the portal? How can we be so passive AGAIN? He needs to delegate a full staff to the portal right now, all hands on deck.

Advertisement
Back