Trequan ***ans Decommits

Advertisement
Y'all want to fire the entire athletic department (and I can't really argue against it). Well, this is what happens when you do. Remember, firing coaches in 2021 is more painful than it was in the past due to ESD. You used to be able to fire a coach after Thanksgiving and hire someone in December and salvage a class. All the timing is now moved up. So, firing Manny and everyone else and not hiring a new coach until December/January essentially kills an entire class.

Am I reading this correctly? You’ll lose commits if you fire the entire department right now? Last I checked, this kid decommited with no one fired yet!

We’d have a better chance of getting some of these kids to stick if the move is made right now. It signifies a change and these kids aren’t dumb. They hear the rumors and the potential names.

Advertisement
See USC. You get a valuable head start in the search for the replacement and you might even salvage some* momentum if your current kids rally around the interim.

I guess. But what value is this head start? You can't interview candidates. And again, who leads up this head start? Blake James? Your premise is correct, and I'm not arguing with you. I just think you're stuck completely between a rock and a hard place right now with a lame duck coach and no leadership.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I guess I was more indifferent on timing before this but if he loses this weekend I think you make the change now. Better for certainty - a new regime eventually coming - than in than dealing with the uncertainty narrative as we recruit going forward.

I guess. But what value is this head start? You can't interview candidates. And again, who leads up this head start? Blake James? Your premise is correct, and I'm not arguing with you. I just think you're stuck completely between a rock and a hard place right now with a lame duck coach and no leadership.
When USC fired Helton, I voiced the same. However, I entirely get why you cut bait now that I am seeing what's going on with our program because of inaction. It is toxic, people, recruits, current players are left in limbo in that toxic environment. You have to give people the one clear sign and hope that things will turn around, let the current players not be surrounded by everyone talking about how terrible the current staff is. Don't forget, with the portal, you also now need to keep the current players engaged and together.

Advertisement
Ohhhh, I essentially agree. We're fizucked unless they're willing to move on from Blake too. Both him and Manny should've been canned going into this bye week. Hire a new AD quickly and let them take advantage of the head start (there's a lot that can be done even sans interviews but remember Golden secretly interviewing at Pedo State?).

This is indicative of the programs current state of stagflation. At least when you fall, you have an opportunity to pick yourself back up. Nothing is worse than paralysis.

Advertisement
Back