Tre Johnson

Johnson has a long, long way to go. He does have natural tools in terms of length and athleticism. I'm hoping for a Sonny-like progression, but he needs to add a ton of strength.

Advertisement
Big Sonny has been solid but he's now suffered two major season ending injuries and I'm not sure what he'll look like when he returns. Same with Linder. Ideally those guys would be key backups but it might be better to let Herbert, Gaynor, Dykstra, Brown to get those reps.

Nothing against Linder and his performance may have suffered because of his shoulder but I really hope we don't have him in the 2 deep at C. That would mean Gauthier took the job and Gaynor can provide depth. Linder was awful last season., AWFUL!

linder was bad, mcdermott was worse

McDermott actually looked better when they moved him to LT, agree he was terrible at G though. I still think Linder was worse.

that's true, you are right. he did improve at LT.

Big Sonny has been solid but he's now suffered two major season ending injuries and I'm not sure what he'll look like when he returns. Same with Linder. Ideally those guys would be key backups but it might be better to let Herbert, Gaynor, Dykstra, Brown to get those reps.

Nothing against Linder and his performance may have suffered because of his shoulder but I really hope we don't have him in the 2 deep at C. That would mean Gauthier took the job and Gaynor can provide depth. Linder was awful last season., AWFUL!

linder was bad, mcdermott was worse

McDermott actually looked better when they moved him to LT, agree he was terrible at G though. I still think Linder was worse.

that's true, you are right. he did improve at LT.

Not saying he was great but he wasn't a turnstile either.

Really can't wait to see the youngsters get to work and rework the depth chart and talent on the ol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnson has a long, long way to go. He does have natural tools in terms of length and athleticism. I'm hoping for a Sonny-like progression, but he needs to add a ton of strength.

fck...this is NOT what I wanted to hear.

Advertisement
Thanks but I really think this kid can take that jump this offseason and be out swing tackle

His athletic ability and size plus I believe searles knows what he's doing coaching wise

No. In fact, I'll be surprised if all of the incoming FR aren't in the 2 deep.

LT McDermott -- Herbert
LG Darling -- Dykstra
C Gauthier -- Gaynor
RG Donaldson -- Hillery
RT St. Louis -- Brown
Hillery is a RT

Wherever he ends up playing, I'd personally rather see him and Herbert and Gaynor out there flying around than another year of Linder and Dgoflu.

Nothing against Linder and Dogflu but they had their chances.
Agree with you on Linder, he should never see the field again, unless it's 4th quarter vs Bethune.

However, I disagree with you on McDoormat, I think Brown will be starting ahead of him.

Also, if Herbert is going to be playing as a Freshman it will have to be at Guard, he's simply not ready yet to play Tackle day 1, even as a backup.

Gaynor could possibly play early on at G/C, that kid reminds me Marshal Yanda. I know that's a big comparison to make, but his upside is scary good.

LULZ @ McDoormat! Now to be fair, he showed significant improvement after moving to LT but his body of work to this point has been subpar and disappointing for sure. Even with he realization that OL is one of if not the most difficult position to project from highschool, KC's play has been to me at least surprisingly underwhelming for a prospect of his caliber.

I would welcome one of our resident OL gurus to analyze and breakdown what McDermott's problems have been so far, where they stem from and what his prospects for improvement are. Additionally, I would like to hear opinions on whether or not he was overrated coming out of high school and why his play has not translated to the college level thus far.

Advertisement
No. In fact, I'll be surprised if all of the incoming FR aren't in the 2 deep.

LT McDermott -- Herbert
LG Darling -- Dykstra
C Gauthier -- Gaynor
RG Donaldson -- Hillery
RT St. Louis -- Brown
Hillery is a RT

Wherever he ends up playing, I'd personally rather see him and Herbert and Gaynor out there flying around than another year of Linder and Dgoflu.

Agree with you on Linder, he should never see the field again, unless it's 4th quarter vs Bethune.

However, I disagree with you on McDoormat, I think Brown will be starting ahead of him.

Also, if Herbert is going to be playing as a Freshman it will have to be at Guard, he's simply not ready yet to play Tackle day 1, even as a backup.

Gaynor could possibly play early on at G/C, that kid reminds me Marshal Yanda. I know that's a big comparison to make, but his upside is scary good.

LULZ @ McDoormat! Now to be fair, he showed significant improvement after moving to LT but his body of work to this point has been subpar and disappointing for sure. Even with he realization that OL is one of if not the most difficult position to project from highschool, KC's play has been to me at least surprisingly underwhelming for a prospect of his caliber.

I would welcome one of our resident OL gurus to analyze and breakdown what McDermott's problems have been so far, where they stem from and what his prospects for improvement are. Additionally, I would like to hear opinions on whether or not he was overrated coming out of high school and why his play has not translated to the college level thus far.

IMO, McDermott advantages in hs were his size and aggression. He could overwhelm most kids in hs and earned his rating. His problems at this level is that he does not have the strength and "body mass" to consistently control powerful DT's when playing guard or strong and quick DE's when playing LT. I actually expect to see remarkable improvement from him being his second season in the training program and coaching.

Johnson has a long, long way to go. He does have natural tools in terms of length and athleticism. I'm hoping for a Sonny

Pretty much what your saying as more talent comes in the further he gets pushed down ? Can he play DT?

Hillery is a RT

IMO, McDermott advantages in hs were his size and aggression. He could overwhelm most kids in hs and earned his rating. His problems at this level is that he does not have the strength and "body mass" to consistently control powerful DT's when playing guard or strong and quick DE's when playing LT. I actually expect to see remarkable improvement from him being his second season in the training program and coaching.

I remember McDermott had injuries that were not made public until the end of the year. I am not knowledgeable enough with OL to know what the injury was to McDermott and how much it may have limited his ceiling. Am I reaching, hoping for a major jump in production because he will see improvement from being healthy and another year of development physically and technically??

Advertisement

I remember McDermott had injuries that were not made public until the end of the year. I am not knowledgeable enough with OL to know what the injury was to McDermott and how much it may have limited his ceiling. Am I reaching, hoping for a major jump in production because he will see improvement from being healthy and another year of development physically and technically??

You are reaching. Its football everybody is banged up at some point.

The number 1 problem w McDermott and Linder is that they never got a proper chance to develop during a RS year. Both badly needed to add strength and good weight and cut bad weight. Talking about these guys as a rJR compared to a SR is a big difference. Kc also has been played largely out of position, he's a RT imo and nothing else. Moving him around has hurt his development. If Linder was able to RS and add needed strength he may have never suffered the injuries that he did.

This is my 2-deep:

LT: St Louis, Brown Jr, KLH (#2 could be starting RT)

LG: Darling, Jones/Mahoney, Dykstra (RS)

C: Gauthier, Linder, Gaynor (RS)

RG: Donaldson, Jones/Mahoney

RT: McDermott, Odogwu, Johnson, Hillery (RS)

Advertisement
The number 1 problem w McDermott and Linder is that they never got a proper chance to develop during a RS year. Both badly needed to add strength and good weight and cut bad weight. Talking about these guys as a rJR compared to a SR is a big difference. Kc also has been played largely out of position, he's a RT imo and nothing else. Moving him around has hurt his development. If Linder was able to RS and add needed strength he may have never suffered the injuries that he did.

This is my 2-deep:

LT: St Louis, Brown Jr, KLH (#2 could be starting RT)

LG: Darling, Jones/Mahoney, Dykstra (RS)

C: Gauthier, Linder, Gaynor (RS)

RG: Donaldson, Jones/Mahoney

RT: McDermott, Odogwu, Johnson, Hillery (RS)

A post that doesn't s#!* all over our current players... how refereshing

The OT has 4 decent to quality guys. But that guard spot has me worried after Darling. I agree Donaldson has the inside route to winning the RG spot. But I think Gauthier gets a hard look there with Linder and Gaynor suppling snaps. And I wonder if Brown or even Sunny could move inside if needed.

2016 shows you that you can never take only 1 OL in a class. Should always be at least 2 and ideally 3. Now we will be filling that gap for the next two classes.

Advertisement
Back