Travis Williams Officially Gone!

Advertisement
mad the rock GIF

Chise here trying to bankrupt an entire university. Where does it stop? With the medical school becoming insolvent because Lashlee has a good season next year and wants 500k more to stay? Slippery slope, my friends. Next thing you know we wake up broke, with no country and married to animals.

Lol. Only UM fans would claim that overpaying a position coach who was fired from his last job and who hasn't coached a single game as a UM coach is a sign of "big boy football."

Apparently our fans think a big boy program would give a position coach it just hired a couple weeks ago a huge raise and promote him to DC because another program showed interest.

These same fans would then immediately claim that Miami proved it was run by amateurs if it did that, and then return to their mope circle jerk.

If Manny really wants him, he should make a power move and offer him and TRob as Co-DCs now, bump the salary, and promise to let them run the defense in 2022. I'm sure TRob and TWill can coexist as they are best friends.

IMO, I make that move. Williams is a very good LB coach and a **** of a recruiter. It's too much to walk away from. I just don't see getting a better LB coach or recruiter. You need the Jimmy's and Joes.
This would show incredible weakness

It hasn’t been mentioned but I’m not sure UCF is in position financially to get into bidding wars for any coach. Especially if Randy still has a contract that needs to be bought out. The covid situation of 2020 obviously put a crunch on a lot of athletic budgets. They were looking into stadium expansion last year but that erector set stadium already has structural issues that need to be repaired before it can be further expanded. Not to mention their naming rights contract with Brighthouse Networks expired and they were unable to secure a new deal with anybody (they literally named their stadium “Bounce House Stadium” for the 2020 season. This is literally the worst year, financially, for any school to try to restock their coaching staff. Especially a g5 program who doesn’t have a huge TV contract.

Advertisement
Lol. Only UM fans would claim that overpaying a position coach who was fired from his last job and who hasn't coached a single game as a UM coach is a sign of "big boy football."

Apparently our fans think a big boy program would give a position coach it just hired a couple weeks ago a huge raise and promote him to DC because another program showed interest.

These same fans would then immediately claim that Miami proved it was run by amateurs if it did that, and then return to their mope circle jerk.
I'm gonna split the difference here a little bit. I think the point is absolutely valid that if this is the staff that head coach wants that you simply don't get outbid by a non P5 school to keep a dude. If someone is leaving for more money and (what they view) as a bigger title then I'd absolutely agree witb you that you don't promote the likes of TWill to DC- even if it's in name only. I think that's a title and a bargaining chip you save for bigger fish.

It hasn’t been mentioned but I’m not sure UCF is in position financially to get into bidding wars for any coach. Especially if Randy still has a contract that needs to be bought out. The covid situation of 2020 obviously put a crunch on a lot of athletic budgets. They were looking into stadium expansion last year but that erector set stadium already has structural issues that need to be repaired before it can be further expanded. Not to mention their naming rights contract with Brighthouse Networks expired and they were unable to secure a new deal with anybody (they literally named their stadium “Bounce House Stadium” for the 2020 season. This is literally the worst year, financially, for any school to try to restock their coaching staff. Especially a g5 program who doesn’t have a huge TV contract.

yeah i mean, i keep reading about this big promotion. ok, maybe in title, but how much does the DC make at fuggin UCF?

Advertisement
yeah i mean, i keep reading about this big promotion. ok, maybe in title, but how much does the DC make at fuggin UCF?
Randy Shannon was the highest paid G5 assistant in the US. He makes a base salary of $1 Million per season and his deal runs through January, 2022. His buyout would be the full million dollars too.

Randy is getting paid. I think his buyout is like $1mill.

that's randy shannon. not travis williams. has this dude ever called plays? i mean plus the potential to build an ACC force vs UCF? meh. $ is the bottom line for some guys, but i'm not sure travis is getting randy shannon money

Very interesting. Good stuff. It's curious that Gus would go from Auburn where he likely had a blank check to a program that has restrictions on his independence to do what he thinks is best. Now, maybe the programs bows down to him because he's the biggest name coach they've had, but still curious nonetheless.

that's randy shannon. not travis williams. has this dude ever called plays? i mean plus the potential to build an ACC force vs UCF? meh. $ is the bottom line for some guys, but i'm not sure travis is getting randy shannon money
It's not necessarily a financial situation. If T Will's goal is to keep rising up the ladder, the next step is calling plays. He can't do that here. For his own career, he needs to look into that potential. Also, the standard of living in Central Florida vs. Miami is very different; so, even presuming that he gives up some $, his money likely goes a lot farther in Orlando than Miami.

Advertisement
Very interesting. Good stuff. It's curious that Gus would go from Auburn where he likely had a blank check to a program that has restrictions on his independence to do what he thinks is best. Now, maybe the programs bows down to him because he's the biggest name coach they've had, but still curious nonetheless.
I’m not personally familiar with Gus’ deal but I’m willing to be UCF is giving him a great deal of autonomy. Still, the budget at any G5 program is significantly smaller than a P5 program. The TV contracts alone are in another stratosphere

You asked how much does the UCF DC make. All the other stuff is negotiation points. Of course he won't get the same salary as a former HC and experienced DC, but that's likely to be the same anywhere using that logic.

Jayblaze was dialed in on the hire, If he says T-Will is staying, I’m good w that. I do think he will be one heck of a coach/ recruiter for us, so I’m glad he’s staying.

Advertisement
It's not necessarily a financial situation. If T Will's goal is to keep rising up the ladder, the next step is calling plays. He can't do that here. For his own career, he needs to look into that potential. Also, the standard of living in Central Florida vs. Miami is very different; so, even presuming that he gives up some $, his money likely goes a lot farther in Orlando than Miami.
solid points. the cost of living thing difference is enormous just a few hours up the road

Last edited:
You asked how much does the UCF DC make. All the other stuff is negotiation points. Of course he won't get the same salary as a former HC and experienced DC, but that's likely to be the same anywhere using that logic.

yeah but that's really the only relevant point. how much is he going to make. if i ask what's the head coach at ohio state going to make, and you tell me urban meyer makes $10mil, that's not relevant. i see what you are saying. either way travis would absolutely make more as DC, i just wonder what the real difference would be.

I’m not personally familiar with Gus’ deal but I’m willing to be UCF is giving him a great deal of autonomy. Still, the budget at any G5 program is significantly smaller than a P5 program. The TV contracts alone are in another stratosphere

Gus gets paid like 2.3 mill or so, which is prolly on par with the g5 but lower than the average p5 obviously (I would think at least). what makes it easier for UCF and him is that he gets his AU buyout no matter what

UCF has some big issues w that stadium and it isnt even old. must have used the FIU bridge contractors to build that thing

Advertisement
Back