Travis Hunter Live Commitment

Advertisement
Very rarely do i disagree with your takes LCE, but this is one of those rare exceptions. Completely agree with bullet #1. Nothing brings me more joy than watching FSU suffer. Today has been beautiful for that. Complete agree with the next point about the seedy undercover bag culture in SEC and other top programs. However, that bag game was only for a smaller percentage of recruits per year and/or smaller payouts and it will still CONTINUE in the NIL age. Let's not fool ourselves, kids will still get paid on top of the NIL money.

With NIL, you see nobodies on Texas's 3 deep getting paid for pancakes. They haven't even proven they can block a scout team kid yet but are being paid. That's not lifting a veil. That's going down a slippery slope. What makes those 15 players different than the 3-deep guy at Iowa or Vandy? Will you occasionally see a Hunter situation? Sure.....we just did. Will it be the norm or really change things? I doubt it, at least not without a lot of additional "shady payments" from outside sources like Barstool. The return on investment for many of the deals wouldn't pass the sniff test as a normal company investment from a P&L standpoint. If revenue doesn't match contribution for many of these companies and they fade, we'll be left with the same big paying schools as before.

Let me circle back for a second. I'm against the high coaching salaries as much as the pay-tp-play college free agency and portal stuff. HC's making $10M? Ridiculous. A position coach simply on staff to recruit is routinely paid more than doctors. Makes perfect sense to me. That's a much longer discussion for another time.

I SUPPORT the NIL stuff as it pertains to true NIL intent.....jersey sales, video game likeness, autographs, maybe a speaking engagement or something (fair market value payment), etc. I do feel the kids lying their body on the line deserve something, even if i am a college athletics purist. That type of NIL activity embraces the school/sport, promotes hard work to be great and is linked to true on-field success. I also support mandatory contributions for medical care and injury insurance to help protect players' future. It's a violent contact sport and should have those included, since the sport has the profits to support it.

I am NOT in support of being paid by non-profits to do nothing, paid by gambling websites to do nothing, paid by boosters to do nothing except sign the dotted line. That's not NIL nor a level playing field for college athletics. Professional, "open-market" sports have more limits, rules, boundaries and fairness to them. This activity promotes more shady dealings (as far back as high school), serving self interest for short-term gains, and promotes more effort off field than on, which is a disservice to the team and game itself.

We have complained collectively as fans for years that college football results should not be dictated by which schools cheat the most. Instead of fixing that, we are embracing NIL? Not me. College football results should also not be based on which schools have the shadiest NIL boosters or booster contacts. For those who have negged my other posts, have at it.....

All of that.

To add to it, the transfer pool is going to be nuts as well. Someone will whisper in the ear of star player wherever, man, look at how much they're paying that guy over there. He can't even hold your jockstrap and you're getting peanuts over here.

I hate NIL, the unlimited aspect of it. They should've tried to cap it somehow. How, no clue, but **** is getting crazy.

Also, Hunter could've certainly handled that commitment with far more grace, but it's what kids do these days.

Jedi,
Did you wonder if the Ewers kid that left high school early to get a $1M+ NIL deal at OSU and then transferred to Texas without playing a down or going through a whole season was "sincere" when he signed?

Of course I did...but this one is even worse. This kid didn't pick an OHIO STATE, he picked St Brendan's in DIVISION TWO which just so happens to currently carry a head coach with major ties to the school he grew up rooting for and was committed to for a LONG *** time.

Like I said before. If AFTER next season this kid is still at JSU, then good on him for getting paid and being a trailblazer. However....questions MUST and SHOULD be asked if this kid magically appears on FSU's roster within the next year and a half or two.....even moreso if that coincides with Deion ending up at FSU as the eventual HC.

Let's revisit this thread after the 2022 season.

Last edited:
Doesn't make a difference what school is picked, it's the same concept and is even worse in the case of Ewers. Ewers secured the bag and promptly tranfers to get another bag and hasn't played one down of football in college. Your whole "if AFTER next season" statement is flawed if it only pertains to this one situation and only because this kid picked Jackson State.
Of course I did...but this one is even worse. This kid didn't pick an OHIO STATE, he picked St Brendan's in DIVISION TWO which just so happens to currently carry a head coach with major ties to the school he grew up rooting for and was committed to for a LONG *** time.

Like I said before. If AFTER next season this kid is still at JSU, then good on him for getting paid and being a trailblazer. However....questions MUST and SHOULD be asked if this kid magically appears on FSU's roster within the next year and a half or two.....even moreso if that coincides with Deion ending up at FSU as the eventual HC.

Let's revisit this thread after the 2022 season.

As a fan of college football, you don't care if the sport is ruined? Interesting
Its more interesting that you think the status quo of some hypocrite like Dabo Sweeney getting paid $10M a year while his players get nothing and their families struggle is better so that you can enjoy college football as it was in the good ole days.

Advertisement
Its supposed to be amateur athletics. Why even have college football if its going to be professional? We can get into why they should be paid, but the reality is, it does detract from what makes college football what it always has been. If you want two NFL's then so be it, but I don't think the game itself is a better product compared to what it once was.
Amateur athletics? Man it hasn't been hasn't been what you say "it has always been" for a very long time. Maybe in the 70s when coaches made little money and actually cared about the kids education. But now coaches are earnings millions and so are schools, streaming company's and tv execs while the kids were getting nothing. And even the education was not great cause schools actively don't want you wasting time on classes.

Everyone will have to adjust and maybe it'll be 30 teams with alot of paid players going for in essence a minor league title.....so be it. You can remember the good old days and see what the new days look like.

Doesn't make a difference what school is picked, it's the same concept and is even worse in the case of Ewers. Ewers secured the bag and promptly tranfers to get another bag and hasn't played one down of football in college. Your whole "if AFTER next season" statement is flawed if it only pertains to this one situation and only because this kid picked Jackson State.
I disagree . I’ve already posted about this on multiple threads so I’m not going to continue posting about that same crap. I’ll be watching what BOTH this kid and Deion do a year from now . That will tell me everything I need to know with regards to the kid's true intentions here.

Last edited:
the (throat) GOAT
brittany-renner-deion-sanders-relationship-talk.jpg

Advertisement
This kid gonna get to Jackson, Miss and have immediate buyers remorse. Doubt he ever plays a down there.

seems like Hunter visited Jackson State for Homecoming weekend, they hosted Mark Pope that same weekend. Seems like that weekend won him over

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back