Travis Homer and the Run Game (GIFs)

@ghost2 I'm not saying your wrong about the information your posting cause you're not, just a little bit off.

First play, not an outside power concept, this play has been a staple since the 50's, double G pull toss play, but this is done out of the gun and a hand off. Don't like the design even a little, got lucky the end pinched and Herndon sealed the end.

Second play, the LB hesitates and doesn't go his gap because he's worried about Malik running, which allows Homer to use his speed.

Third play, this definitely is not an inside trap play, this is split zone. The cut back is where its supposed to go the backside end and backside LB are messed here and are not coached up on it, they are losers, hence the big play.

Not sure any of these play exemplify any of Travis Homer's skill-set. He's fast and has a burst and run through contact. These plays are form an OL perspective executed really well and that's the reason why they are successful.

Advertisement
@ghost2 I'm not saying your wrong about the information your posting cause you're not, just a little bit off.

First play, not an outside power concept, this play has been a staple since the 50's, double G pull toss play, but this is done out of the gun and a hand off. Don't like the design even a little, got lucky the end pinched and Herndon sealed the end.

Second play, the LB hesitates and doesn't go his gap because he's worried about Malik running, which allows Homer to use his speed.

Third play, this definitely is not an inside trap play, this is split zone. The cut back is where its supposed to go the backside end and backside LB are messed here and are not coached up on it, they are losers, hence the big play.

Not sure any of these play exemplify any of Travis Homer's skill-set. He's fast and has a burst and run through contact. These plays are form an OL perspective executed really well and that's the reason why they are successful.

Thanks so much for the insight @Arehel I really appreciate it. Great points all around and I totally agree on the OL execution. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on our run game concepts!

Duke is one of the only guys I've seen who's acceleration is noticeably faster than anyone else on the field. If his top end was just a tick faster he'd have had many more TDs and all the yards.

This. All of this.

Loved watching that kid play.

Thanks so much for the insight @Arehel I really appreciate it. Great points all around and I totally agree on the OL execution. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on our run game concepts!

No problem at all.

Overall the play designs are extremely simple, should have used split zone more often. Once something worked once CMR called it too often, especially the wrinkles. He has a very simple offense, not sure if that was a product of him (which is unlikely since he's been around so long) or the players and the football IQ that comes with them.

I can do play breakdowns not a problem, or what plays you see other teams run that you think can be run at UM and how they could fit and I can tell you if it goes well with CMRs offensive design. My specialty is the run game or in the box play.

Awesome man! I'm not a former player/coach so sometimes it's hard for me to process and codify exactly what I'm looking at on film - I'm always looking to learn more so please feel free to chime in anytime!

Advertisement
Kid balled out on special teams too. True cane
I’m a huge fan kid was tough as nails, him and Walton would have killed folks last year. Like Walton also he was crazy good on special teams. The offense this year should be really fun to watch

This... Baller

Just found this (admittedly kinda old) article on the split zone that @Arehel was referencing: http://www.syedschemes.com/split-zone/

Good stuff!

Yeah it really is a great play, put the defense in a bind leverage wise.

Look at what Joe Moorhead did at PSU, and while do that MSU if you want further explanation how great it can be. Essentially ran RPo as often as CMR but with that play and different pass concepts behind it.

Advertisement
Disagree. I love the way Homer hits the hole but I think Duke had perhaps the best short burst of any RB we've had at UM. Duke had elite acceleration.

Edit: sifting through Duke Johnson videos forced me to relive just how God-awful our uniforms really were...

Gore bro.. Peep those highlights. It is the reason he is still getting over 1k a year at his age. His true Freshman year just talking burst, I don't think there is any comparison.

Gore bro.. Peep those highlights. It is the reason he is still getting over 1k a year at his age. His true Freshman year just talking burst, I don't think there is any comparison.

Yes! Gore pre-injury was just a bad dude.

Perhaps, but you're comparing a senior with 4 years of college S&C to an incoming freshman who isn't on campus yet. Just from a wear-and-tear/conditioning perspective I'd be concerned about relying on either freshman TE in the same way we did Herndon last year. I have no doubt that Jordan is as or more talented than Herndon - it's just going to take a bit for that to develop in the run game.

yea I think we have to hope that Polendry can be that blocking tight end cause i'm not sure Brevin is going to be strong enough yet to handle some of the guys he'll be trying to block.

Travis homer still looked more explosive on his run vs va tech and he didn’t get hawked down by anybody

Advertisement

Yeah I remember watching him as a FR. His burst was unreal. While he has never been a speed demon, his acceleration is what set him apart.
That's also what I noticed last year with Deejay. His burst over 5-10-15 yards is almost Gore-esque.

Frank Gore - burst, vision, and thick and tough at 5'9 220.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back