Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
That's a load of crap.

"Every time they make a move...the board is FULL of 'but it's not sustainable' comments" is simply untrue.

Nobody gives a **** about "every move Norvell makes" or every breath he takes or anything else.

Look, if you and all the rest of the panicky Chicken Littles on the boards want to freak out, that's up to you.

What I am correctly describing is that there is a ton of backchanneling going on. Therefore, if Norvell has already contacted certain guys (that a lot of other schools are contacting) and those guys choose F$U, then that is fine. Because you have no idea who Miami has contacted and who Miami likes and who likes Miami. All you know is what is public. And, yes, there is a difference between a kid that spends a couple of days in the Portal, visits nobody, and chooses one school...and other guys who take visits.

Sure, F$U got a couple of guys last year in whom Miami also had interest. That doesn't mean it's the entire class. F$U took 14 transfers last year, Miami took 11. F$U had the 11th highest rated transfer class last year, Miami had the 12th highest rated class last year. Nobody disputes that F$U actually had more of their transfers perform better last year.

Instead, you are mixing and matching arguments, and it's really unnecessary, unless you honestly think that Mario is going to spend the next 8 months sitting on 4 Transfer Portal signees.

So let's separate the two arguments.

If you are arguing that we should judge Mario's portal activity by what has happened in the first 4 weeks, and that somehow Norvell is "moving fast" and Mario isn't, then I suggest you take a look at both what we know, as well as have patience for what we do not know.
---a) what we do know is that Miami has 4 Portal verbals and F$U has 8 Portal verbals, so I'm really not sure what the cause for concern is AT THIS TIME. If F$U had 14 verbals right now, then maybe you would have a point
---b) what we don't know is who Miami is talking with vs. who F$U is talking with, so if F$U contacted a bunch of guys from teams that missed bowl games (such as this Jackson character from Miami), then it makes sense that they have "early momentum", while another coach who might be backchannelling guys at schools who are still playing bowl games MIGHT not get as many guys as quickly

If you are arguing that anyone is arguing AGAINST getting Portal players, well, that's just flat out nuts. The ONLY criticism that has been levelled at guys like Kiffin and Norvell DURING THIS TIME PERIOD OF NO IC LIMITATIONS is that they have surprisingly small HIGH SCHOOL signing classes. And that would be fine under the OLD RULES of being limited to 25 signees from BOTH high school AND the Portal. But it doesn't make as much sense to take FEWER high school recruits and MORE Portal recruits WHEN THERE IS NO IC LIMITATION. And that's the argument on "sustainability".

If you actually look at the facts, Miami has 26 high school/JuCo recruits (including Cormani) AND AND AND will take a bunch in the Portal. On the other hand, F$U is sitting on 17 HS/JC signees and Ole Miss has 12. Now, F$U is on a few more "finalist lists" for February-signee recruits than Ole Miss is, so maybe that F$U number will get a bit larger. But if we ALL have 85 ICs to give out...then the RATIO of Portal signees to HS/JC signees will be higher for F$U and Ole Miss. Which is not a sustainable long-term strategy. Yes, it fills scholarships TODAY (so does giving a scholarship to a walk-on), but it doesn't address the need to ALSO bring in guys who have the potential to be with the team for 4-5 years. And let's not forget, the IC rules are due to return at some point.

But, again, "sustainability" is a separate argument.

So let's go back to my original point, which you seem sooooooo bothered by.

Norvell is all over the girls who walk into the bar at 9 pm. Absolute truth. He already has verbals from 8 of them.

But if a bunch of other attractive types walk in NOW, he has already shot 8 of his loads. How many spots on his 85-man roster do you think he has? There might be some very good players who NOW enter the Portal, or who shoot for the May window. If you bothered to do a tiny amount of research, you would see how many Portal guys LAST YEAR had commit dates between mid-January and May. A LOT.

So maybe, just maybe, you won't get your Mike-Norvell-lover panties in a bunch when I make a joke about him jumping all over the first guys who enter the Portal. Don't white-knight for your boy by telling me about how much he's getting laid.

I posted elsewhere that Norvell had 7 portal guys at this time last year and Miami had 1. Yet we finished one spot behind them in the rankings. I'm not using that as a justification or an excuse, I'm just pointing out that "4 weeks into the process" is a bit too early to judge.

And, sure, maybe Norvell's eye for Portal talent last year was better than Mario's. Which Miami has been addressing via the process Alonzo is leading to improve and professionalize our scouting and talent identification.

How about we calm down for a few weeks and see how things play out? About half of last year's Portal decisions came after January enrollment. So we're not even to halftime yet.

Relax.
"panicky Chicken Littles", "Mike Norvell panties in a bunch"..lol. Overreact much? But the entertainment value IS high😂. I'll really know I'm under your skin when you tell me to go get my shine box (classic,btw 🤣). Good point about the 85, with FSU being well over and us an estimated 3 under. TBD.

Last edited:
Again, what does "flip the roster" mean? Or mean to you?

I've been told all along that the number could be as high as "40". And you would agree that this would be a nearly 50% turnover, right?

Which means that if we have 26 HS/JC guys (including Cormani) and 4 Portal guys thus far, then it's 10 more max.

We had 1 Portal guy at this time last year, and finished with 11.

Quality is BY FAR the most important thing. But I think we'll get to Quantity as well. People are just freaking out 4 weeks in.

And you are correct, DT is a real problem, not just because of where we sit, but also because there just aren't a lot of great guys to be had. At least we'd have a better possibility of getting WRs who contribute, there are so many available.
Flipping the roster means getting rid of players that aren’t cutting it and replacing them with players that are cutting it. Yes, last year we had 1 and this point and ended up with 11 but only 3 were worth a ****. My reasoning for that was simple. All 11 were brought in with the opportunity to make an impact and only 3 did anything with any of it. In terms of the numbers, yes 40 or so is what has been thrown around by those close to the program but 40 has never been a hard number. Bottom line is that if we don’t want a repeat of last year, we need to bring in difference makers and there are only so many out there. That is the concern.

Advertisement
Still waiting to see what crazy rb or WR comes here first to break the streak of no new offensive commits minus the oline lol

Advertisement
Any update on Kiyaunta Goodwin? I remember Zo tweeted something like "I'm on it" when he entered and subsequently deleted it... might be a good addition with the UCF center

Advertisement
You mean the 580 pages where there isn't a portal WR yet committed? And apparently now Thornton who was supposed to be interested is now visiting Tennessee? Not looking good ... doesn't UM's WR coach have any strong followers?
Mario has plenty of flaws but I can imagine given his tendency to operate quietly behind the scenes that he has some options lined up.

You mean the 580 pages where there isn't a portal WR yet committed? And apparently now Thornton who was supposed to be interested is now visiting Tennessee? Not looking good ... doesn't UM's WR coach have any strong followers?
I think Thornton’s last visit is actually Arkansas, but I could be wrong.

Advertisement
0D8F0886-6441-494B-84D0-C49351F1A125.jpeg

5 star recruit in 2020 class

Advertisement
Back