Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
This kid's from Clearwater; Tarquin from Ocala. Better not end up at FSU😝.

*are we sure 'Noles portal strategy can't be successful? Not sure I ascribe to that bit of conventional wisdom that's prevalent around here.
This year they were more successful than Miami with that strategy. The issue becomes the one year that they can’t cover all their traditional recruiting sins with portal blood. Then they have nothing to fall back on, and their class this year is terrible, top 20 or not.

This year they were more successful than Miami with that strategy. The issue becomes the one year that they can’t cover all their traditional recruiting sins with portal blood. Then they have nothing to fall back on, and their class this year is terrible, top 20 or not.
And that was the pathway Diaz was headed down. But who's to say Norvell can't manage it better? Some are saying well wait til Travis is gone..ok, hit the portal and find a replacement. What I'm saying is that the portal as well as NIL are frontier-like territory. Toss the categoricals out the window. So with these unknowns the approach taken by programs is vitally important. Mario recruits his *** off, and we should ultimately benefit from that. But this has become an extreme makeover, and kids want to win  now. Would be lying if I said I felt like we have a formula for success - on the new frontier.

Advertisement
Norvell is just kicking the can down the road. They'll have most of their starters back next year. Then the wheels are going to fall off. There's no depth because of his ****** recruiting. The portal can't fill the entire roster.

Advertisement
And that was the pathway Diaz was headed down. But who's to say Norvell can't manage it better? Some are saying well wait til Travis is gone..ok, hit the portal and find a replacement. What I'm saying is that the portal as well as NIL are frontier-like territory. Toss the categoricals out the window. So with these unknowns the approach taken by programs is vitally important. Mario recruits his *** off, and we should ultimately benefit from that. But this has become an extreme makeover, and kids want to win  now. Would be lying if I said I felt like we have a formula for success - on the new frontier.
I think Norvell is a better version of Manny. Both rely on portal and player development. Difference is Norvell can succeed in both departments, while Manny is simply a stooge. All of us Memphians want Norvell back sooo bad lol.

Norvell is just kicking the can down the road. They'll have most of their starters back next year. Then the wheels are going to fall off. There's no depth because of his ****** recruiting. The portal can't fill the entire roster.
Hope you're right, but there's a different landscape at hand and I'm not sure previous standards apply.

I think in the Holier then thow SEC if you portal to another SEC team you must sit out a full year before playing.

Not sure if anyone knew this ?

GOCANES

Advertisement
Give yourself some self-care my friend. I dont know how u do it with some of these op's lol. Thank you for doing the Lord's work🤙🤙🤙
Lesssgoooo
Facts @Cribby just know there's folks that's barely comment that appreciate everything you bring to the board! I know these folks can be rentless just ignore them. You don't ever have to repeat yourself everyday either there's posters that see what you say an repeat it for you lol Merry Christmas! And Souljah respect you bro I'm from the South never heard of a Samoan or Tongans till I moved to Utah for High School! Awesome people nothin but love an respect!!!

Advertisement
stan against evil GIF by IFC

I agree but if you look closely at all the four team in the playoff. With the exception of Michigan THIS YR. Every team success was built on recruits. They use the portal to sprinkle too competition or a starter for they weakness. U don’t see GA/Bama/OhioSt heavy in the portal cuz they recruit and promote from within. Kids want to win now. But have to ball out or wait their turn to show to they a hot commodity in the portal. Teams nitpicking and only going after the best guys not just ankther name in the portal regardless of HS ranking. So the formula is to recruits strong. So yes Mario do have a foundation. Mario weakness is not a good on field coach. That’s where he need to hire assistants that really know their X and O’s to assure the team success. But most def the winning formula is recruiting. More staying rather then hitting the portal from each recruiting class.

Not to get biblical, but one of my favorite scriptures is Eccl. 1:9 which says in part, there is nothing new under the sun. NIL, Transfer Portals…these tools used for recruiting or fortifying a roster is nothing new or frontier. Before, they were known as transfers & bags. Some of our greatest players have been transfers, one of UCLA’s greatest QB was a transfer. The only difference between yesteryear & today is that student-athletes were not transferring at an alarming rate as today b/c you had to sit out a year. The only difference between NIL & bags is that it’s now “technically” above board.

Data shows u cannot sustain success as a program if u’re relying upon the portal, strictly. Why? B/c most portal kids r going to be in ur program for a year. See MSU as a prime example; see us as another example. You will never find top teams relying upon the portal as a means for sustained success. Bama used the portal the most they’ve ever had last yr, & u could see chinks in the armor on offense w/ the guys that transferred in who made up the core.

Portal Kids r fickle, & these r not ones u want to rely upon. Either they r transferring b/c they r looking for the best opportunity for a final shot to make the NFL, they’re looking for immediate playing time, or they can’t accept discipline/tough coaching. You build ur team through recruiting 1st & foremost, & use the portal strategically to shore up any holes.

I’m not discounting The Portal b/c it has its place, & of course NIL under its current construct which is bags on roids is enticing, but one must use each tool strategically & not recklessly. Notice SC’s class of ‘22 vs. ‘23. Riley stacked his team w/ portal kids in 2022 b/c the high school recruiting of 2022 was shot dead. Diaz didn’t do nearly as much damage, recruiting wise, like Helton. At one point they only had 3 players committed before Lincoln got hired. He had no choice but to build the class of ‘22 via The Portal; however, the class of ‘23 is much different b/c he had time to do his full evaluation & recruit.

Advertisement
Back