Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
He probably put out behind the scenes that he is reclassifying is why there is a flurry of offers and lack of early offers.

I’ve explained this 1,000 times & people still don’t understand it lol
I am confused as to why a receiver would not want to portal here with this kid under center. Are we over rating TVD? Just makes zero sense. You may have explained this already and I am just slow. Entirely possible. Does the ground and pound potential scare receivers off? I am hoping there is a kid on the roster who sees the opportunity and crushes the off-season and the light goes on.

Advertisement
I am confused as to why a receiver would not want to portal here with this kid under center. Are we over rating TVD? Just makes zero sense. You may have explained this already and I am just slow. Entirely possible. Does the ground and pound potential scare receivers off? I am hoping there is a kid on the roster who sees the opportunity and crushes the off-season and the light goes on.
If I had to guess I’d say they shot their shot on Ladson early on and really felt he would be that guy.

Realized during spring that maybe they over valued him and got really picky not wanting to make the same mistake twice. They went after Worthy, Zay, and Robinson but it didn’t work out.

This seems like the rare miss from Mario and his staff. Things like this will happen. But the home runs will far exceed the misses.

Yes

The Breakfast Club Reaction GIF

When we’re average 275 through the air and 200 on the ground

Advertisement
Gonna have to be a committee this year, I believe. Gattis put up a Top 15-20 offense last year with no WR having more than a little over 600 yards. The more I think about his offense, with Mario's overall philosophy, the makeup of the skill position players, and who we've targeted in the portal, the more and more I'm thinking this is going to be a lot more of a ground and pound, physical, run-first, shorten the game type team than we think.

If we didn't have such a potential stud under center, I'd be fully convinced. I really don't see how you can go into a season with a plan to neuter a kid who is getting Round 1 buzz, but I'm starting to think it might go that way.

We added a back in the portal who is physical and played in the SEC, we added another back in Citizen, we added Denis and Sagapolu to the offensive line, and we only added 1 portal WR who isn't exactly a burner, and 1 HS recruit at WR as well.

None of this should be earth-shattering, given who Mario is and what he's done, but I just don't see the personnel nor the staff to run any semblance of a high-flying offense. Michigan was in some blowouts last year so this does factor, but they ran the ball 575 times and threw it 395. Miami, for example, ran it 415 times and threw it 464 times.

Given the fact that they were unable to add any dynamic playmakers on the outside, just prepare yourselves to see a steady diet of 4 backs rotating through, a lot of them used in the passing game, and a ton of Mallory, Arroyo, and Skinner. It honestly wouldn't shock me to see Restrepo, Arroyo, and Mallory all in the top 5 in receptions this season. Michigan's 2nd leading WR last year in catches AND yards was a TE.
We're people really expecting an Air Raid Up tempo 80 plays a game offense? Lol I hope everyone is ready for a bunch of 15 play 75 yard drives that take up 8 Mins off the clock.

We're people really expecting an Air Raid Up tempo 80 plays a game offense? Lol I hope everyone is ready for a bunch of 15 play 75 yard drives that take up 8 Mins off the clock.
Look at 2017 Penn State, 2018 Alabama and 2019 Michigan for what you can expect.

Those teams had the biggest things to consider, legitimate and experienced NFL talent at QB and RB.

Team ———Pass Yards /Rush Yards / Plays Per G

2019 Mich ———- 250 / 151 / 69
2018 Bama ——— 323 / 198 / 67
2017 Penn St —— 290 / 170 / 69

2022 UM ————287 / 173 / 68 ——that’s doable and a very balanced attack that takes advantage of strengths (QB, TE, RB) just the way Gattis likes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Let's make this really simple.

For those who paid attention to how and where TVD threw the ball last year...we could absolutely DESTROY teams with a big, tall WR who can go up and high-point the ball and come down with it.

All this "but what's his 40 time" misses the point completely. We've got plenty of WRs and RBs who can catch 5 yard passes and be off to the races. But we need a different kind of WR that we don't really have on the roster right now.

Take this Lackawanna kid and then we roll with the WR room we have. We are **** close to 85 and ICs no longer apply. Maybe we'll lose a couple of kids in August, maybe we'll find a couple of grad-transfer gems this summer. We are pretty close to being done for 2022, though everything is still written in pencil until mid-August.

Advertisement
Back