Transfer Portal watch

@Liberty City El what do you think of Darrell Jackson at DT? He's visiting Miami this weekend. Do you have him as a Caleb Johnson/Agude/Mesidor/Coleman type of addition?
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2021-de-darrell-jackson-receives-offer.159775/

I was high on him when we were recruiting him out of HS, he’d be a terrific pickup for us at DT.

I just didn’t calculate him into the equation, because he’s a Havana FL kid from just outside of Tallahassee & his former HS coach is on staff at FSU, so the odds are likely low we land him. But Stroud was on him heavy when was in HS so maybe we have a shot, we’ll see.

Advertisement
Can anyone refresh my memory of the local DT recruit from maybe 2 years ago that didnt have the grades to get in? We all loved him as either a guard or DT. He ended up going to a smaller school.

Can anyone refresh my memory of the local DT recruit from maybe 2 years ago that didnt have the grades to get in? We all loved him as either a guard or DT. He ended up going to a smaller school.
Willie Moise. He’s in line to start this upcoming season at Coastal Carolina. Named their most improved OL in Spring ball.

Advertisement
The majority of the kids who will be hitting the Portal between now & May 1st are kids who haven’t been playing & weren’t able to crack the 2-deep this Spring.

I don’t think you’re going to see a mass exodus of high caliber starting quality players entering the Portal in these last few weeks of April, just off the simple fact if they’re good enough to start or at least be in their teams starting rotation there isn’t much incentive to leave where they’re at.

It makes perfect sense if you’re a small school upperclassman looking to increase your draft profile, but most P5 level starters aren’t just walking away from their current team unless they just didn’t like their new coaching staff or are looking for some good NIL money.

I think we’ll add Mesidor, hopefully DJ Coleman & Caleb Johnson, that would be 3 crucial pickups at positions of need.

A big play WR I’m doubtful we’ll be able to get one, unless it’s a G5 or FCS kid looking to come up.

But we’ll see how everything shakes out in the next week, whoever is supposed to be entering the Portal has to eventually get a move on, I mean idk what the **** else they could be waiting on lol
And most kids who fall into this bucket (small school upperclassman, don't like current coaching staff, NIL $$) entered the transfer portal in Dec./Jan. following the end of the season. The vast majority of kids entering post-Spring Practice are, like you said, the kids that aren't cracking the starting lineups at their respective schools.

I think we need to ask around about this (i.e., is this a new rule?), you may very well be correct. But Jarrid Williams enrolled in August of 2020. Maybe because he was a grad-transfer and not a "regular" transfer? Rules on the enrollment date are confusing.
Jarrid enrolled in August because he was gray-shirted for roster management purposes.

Jarrid enrolled in August because he was gray-shirted for roster management purposes.

Agreed. But still, we were allowed to enroll him in August, not May. There's something funky in the rules. I think we'll have most of our 2022 Portal guys enrolled by May, but we might see an exception or two.

Advertisement
Willie Moise. He’s in line to start this upcoming season at Coastal Carolina. Named their most improved OL in Spring ball.

It's guys like Moise that I was hoping would hit the Portal (after back channeling first so they don't get caught without a landing place). Osborne and Dee Delaney type G5 starters who are too talented for the minor leagues and want to position themselves better before going pro.

No chance of that? Disruptive NGs are as rare of unicorns, so I'm not getting my hopes up at DT. But I'm really hoping another speedster WR like the Harrell kid signals interest in trading up. I know Louisville isn't G5, but there's got to be a WR out there at a lesser program who can Go! and blow the top off of coverage?

He was in the rotation but that’s really it. I would take Cowan and this kid. Take the upside on both of them over production.
I think he got buried in the depth chart didn't see him much in UGA spring game.....I'd definitely take one or both..... especially if Mesidor doesn't choose Miami soon...

I think he got buried in the depth chart didn't see him much in UGA spring game.....I'd definitely take one or both..... especially if Mesidor doesn't choose Miami soon...
I’m taking them even with mesidor especially if we’re going to be an odd front defense. Mesidor gives you the flexibility of playing him as a SDE or 3T depending on matchups. Take the 2 traditional DTs and Cowan and the UGA kid so Mesidor isn’t forced to be a full time DT.

Advertisement
He's on the OL now. Is he an RT? If not, I don't know if I see a win/win. His pops used to post on here. Great guy.
Jordan Davis was OL before they discovered his skills at killing QBs even though he was a DT in HS.

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of creepy the whole shirtless thing with the tiger?

Music Video GIF

The majority of the kids who will be hitting the Portal between now & May 1st are kids who haven’t been playing & weren’t able to crack the 2-deep this Spring.

I don’t think you’re going to see a mass exodus of high caliber starting quality players entering the Portal in these last few weeks of April, just off the simple fact if they’re good enough to start or at least be in their teams starting rotation there isn’t much incentive to leave where they’re at.

It makes perfect sense if you’re a small school upperclassman looking to increase your draft profile, but most P5 level starters aren’t just walking away from their current team unless they just didn’t like their new coaching staff or are looking for some good NIL money.

I think we’ll add Mesidor, hopefully DJ Coleman & Caleb Johnson, that would be 3 crucial pickups at positions of need.

A big play WR I’m doubtful we’ll be able to get one, unless it’s a G5 or FCS kid looking to come up.

But we’ll see how everything shakes out in the next week, whoever is supposed to be entering the Portal has to eventually get a move on, I mean idk what the **** else they could be waiting on lol

While I agree with the quality of the player you outline here and likely to enter, regardless of talent level, one reason to stay quiet: you have to finish the semester at your current school. Given sometimes these kids know where they are going before they enter, this at least keeps coaches (if in the dark, though unlikely) and fans (more likely) off your back about leaving.

Advertisement
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2021-de-darrell-jackson-receives-offer.159775/

I was high on him when we were recruiting him out of HS, he’d be a terrific pickup for us at DT.

I just didn’t calculate him into the equation, because he’s a Havana FL kid from just outside of Tallahassee & his former HS coach is on staff at FSU, so the odds are likely low we land him. But Stroud was on him heavy when was in HS so maybe we have a shot, we’ll see.
DT is like the one position fsu has quality depth at according to a friend of mine. If he wants to play early us or Florida is the pick, or he might just want to play in front of family

DT is like the one position fsu has quality depth at according to a friend of mine. If he wants to play early us or Florida is the pick, or he might just want to play in front of family

Yes, FSUs starting DTs are both NFL guys. Not sure on UFs DT situation.

Advertisement
Back