Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Live feed from Andrew Rodgers' office.

Animated GIF

Not sure at this point. At worst, he's a good guy to have in the rotation. At best, he's a serviceable/solid starter.
Saw action as a starter at inside linebacker in all 7 games ... led the Bruin team with 44 tackles and 5.5 sacks ... second on the squad in tackles for loss at 7.0 ... his 0.79 sacks per game average ranked 27th in the nation and third in the Pac-12 Conference ... picked off a pass against Cal ... credited with a season-best 10 tackles in games at Arizona State and versus Stanford ... made 5 or more stops in 5 games ... had a season-high 2.5 tackles for loss at Arizona State and versus Cal ... honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection by the league coaches ... second-team All-Pac-12 pick by AP.

Thats a pretty good starter. Dude had more sacks in 2020 at mlb than anyone on our dl last year. A guy that’s on the second team all conference squad ( power five ) would be a very nice addition.

Advertisement
It did but 4.19 40 sounds like the most hand-timed, wind assisted, downhill, hype up my mans bogus I've ever heard. Dude is fast but I HIGHLY doubt he is the fastest ever timed official 40 fast.
I really wasn't understanding why all the buzz until I heard he was running 4.19. And his highlights show tough catches in traffic. He seems to have put it all together last year.

He definitely warrants his own thread

Advertisement
And I’m not one that’s into Twitter follows but Mario and the whole offensive coaching staff follows him now so it does indeed look like we will shoot our shot here.
Guy a Columbus Alum, if we want him more than likely it was setup before he stepped and we should be difficult to beat here.

Advertisement
I see Johnson as an upgrade over Flagg because he’s more athletic but I don’t think he’s that much better. There has to be some better LBs jumping in the portal in the next week or so.
You think there’ll be power 5 all conference second team / honorable mention level lb’s jumping in the portal ? And that’s not much better than Flagg?

Interesting.

I feel like the expectation many of us have is that these transfers are for them to be potentially 1st round talents or All ACC type players. This shouldn't be the case.

The question should be are they an upgrade? It could be this guy is a starter and is viewed as an upgrade over the existing starter. Or this guy is a depth player and viewed as an upgrade over the backup. Let's not forget injuries happen. And they bring significant playing experience to units that don't have that.

Obviously you'd love 1st round players like Mims across the board. But what you are getting are significant upgrades to every key positions of need. If all of these moves happen, we've completely rebuilt starters and depth across the board at DL, OL, CB, WR, and LB. That's absolutely insane.

It completely changes your expectation going into the season. A 10 win regular season and ACC title seemed farfetched. Now? A lot more doable.

Advertisement
so is Caleb Johnson legit? Is he instant day 1 starter at MLB for us? I know nothing about him
Yes, his overall ability notwithstanding...

But he’s a day 1 starter for us at MLB because as of now our starting MLB’s are Steed & Flagg.

And while the board loves the feel good stories, if we’re being as objective as possible that’s simply not good enough to field a Defense that can contend for the ACC. It simply boils down to people removing emotion from it & looking at it clearly, the Defense needs upgrades at Mike LB, DE, DT & CB.

Last edited:
Yes, his overall ability notwithstanding...

But he’s a day 1 starter for us at MLB because as of now our starting MLB’s are Steed & Flagg.

And while the board loves the feel good stories, if we’re being as objective as possible that’s simply not good enough to field a Defense that can contend for the ACC. It simply boils down to people removing emotion from it & looking at it clearly, the Defense needs upgrades at Mike LB, DE, DT & CB.
being subjective as possible, i still have high hopes for steed!

Advertisement
Back