Transfer Portal watch

So, you would have our coaching staff replace players that haven't left the program and those same coaches have had 1 week to evaluate the players in t-shirts and shorts? That's not smart.

Yes I would. Because the transfers out are going to happen regardless of evals.

Experience wins over intelligence in this case. Never claimed to be smart here, just seen this story for a few decades now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Don’t think the German is a viable option at DT. DE yes. How big is Moultrie right now. Have heard conflicting things.
I thought they brought him in to be a DT. I thought he came in at 270. He would be a situational player at DT. Probably a swing player at both. LT needs to be an every down player. Really, HH as well. These guys should only come off the field from fatigue. I don't want to see wholesale package subs like Diaz did. LT and HH are probably the two best rush DTs. So, why would anyone take them out of the game on 3rd downs?

I thought they brought him in to be a DT. I thought he came in at 270. He would be a situational player at DT. Probably a swing player at both. LT needs to be an every down player. Really, HH as well. These guys should only come off the field from fatigue. I don't want to see wholesale package subs like Diaz did. LT and HH are probably the two best rush DTs. So, why would anyone take them out of the game on 3rd downs?
Which makes the German even more unlikely and effective at DT. I could see him in obvious passing downs but why when you have those two. Otherwise he is just too light.

Advertisement
Bleacher Report Miami hurricanes community page is saying Justin Flowe is jn Miami right now, can anyone verify???

1647551348130.png

Everyone using the "Michigan State - Win Now!" formula. Not sustainable but if you need a quick steroid shot to your program then its not a bad route to take.

I wanna know why it isnt sustainable?.
The transfer portal isnt closing. For schools like Ole Miss..this can be done yearly.

I mean the Miss schools and Kansas State FOR YEARS live off of the JUCO TRANSFERS. Its the same thing. Recruit regularly high school guys..but plug in immediate starters with upper classman transfers.

We honestly could live off of it some as well...but we sit in the high school mecca. Places like Miss, Michigan State dont have that luxury

Advertisement
Those are 4 pretty lousy choices. Guess he didnt get the buzz he thought he would.
It would be Kentucky or Indiana for me if i were him. He is a kid i want us to go after...might not though based on what Al Blades and DJ Ivey does this spring.

The transfer portal isnt closing. For schools like Ole Miss..this can be done yearly.

I mean the Miss schools and Kansas State FOR YEARS live off of the JUCO TRANSFERS. Its the same thing. Recruit regularly high school guys..but plug in immediate starters with upper classman transfers.

We honestly could live off of it some as well...but we sit in the high school mecca. Places like Miss, Michigan State dont have that luxury
It's unrealistic to throw a bunch of guys together out of the Portal and expect them to gel as a team. Yes, a few players, but not your entire starting lineup. Michigan State struck gold, but it’s not sustainable in the long run and why would you want to rely on the Portal for a majority of your players? It means you lack in recruiting and failed to to develop the guys you did recruit.

If you simply leave your roster empty at each recruiting cycle because you think you can do better in the portal than with high school kids, you're making an assumption you'll get top players out if the Portal. That's a risky proposition.

The teams thst really heavily on the Portal are just not recruiting at a high level and/or not developing their players. That's what happened with Diaz. Had he been retained we would have had a 30-40ish class and forced to go heavy in the Portal.

Not everyone of our Portal transfers were productive. Tste Martell, Asa Martin, Trevor Hill, Tommy Kennedy, DeAndre Johnson.

Once Mario signs top 5 classes there will be very little need to hit the Transfer Portal. Maybe 2-3 per year due to guys transferring out.

I think we take up to 3 OL, DE, 2 LB, CB and maybe another WR. I think this is what we are looking at regardless of transfer's out and their will be many. Between transfer's in's and out's, I wouldn't be shocked if up to 20 roster changes happen. I hope some of these names being whispered hit the portal and come here. No doubt, several are plug and play starters. It's just BS until they hit the portal. Long way until May.

Advertisement
It's unrealistic to throw a bunch of guys together out of the Portal and expect them to gel as a team. Yes, a few players, but not your entire starting lineup. Michigan State struck gold, but it’s not sustainable in the long run and why would you want to rely on the Portal for a majority of your players? It means you lack in recruiting and failed to to develop the guys you did recruit.

If you simply leave your roster empty at each recruiting cycle because you think you can do better in the portal than with high school kids, you're making an assumption you'll get top players out if the Portal. That's a risky proposition.

The teams thst really heavily on the Portal are just not recruiting at a high level and/or not developing their players. That's what happened with Diaz. Had he been retained we would have had a 30-40ish class and forced to go heavy in the Portal.

Not everyone of our Portal transfers were productive. Tste Martell, Asa Martin, Trevor Hill, Tommy Kennedy, DeAndre Johnson.

Once Mario signs top 5 classes there will be very little need to hit the Transfer Portal. Maybe 2-3 per year due to guys transferring out.
I think the thing you missing is that most of the transfers you talking about were evaluated and chosen by Manny and dem. The Transfer Portal is another resource that all teams even the top team will use, though less than other lower regarded P5 teams. You are right in that you cannot build through the Portal, but like you said, as we build with top recruiting classes, we can cherry pick from the portal as some guys transfer out. The new college football model includes two recruiting modes where kids can play immediately, high school and the portal. You must have resources dedicated to monitoring and evaluating for players to strengthen your team.

I think the thing you missing is that most of the transfers you talking about were evaluated and chosen by Manny and dem. The Transfer Portal is another resource that all teams even the top team will use, though less than other lower regarded P5 teams. You are right in that you cannot build through the Portal, but like you said, as we build with top recruiting classes, we can cherry pick from the portal as some guys transfer out. The new college football model includes two recruiting modes where kids can play immediately, high school and the portal. You must have resources dedicated to monitoring and evaluating for players to strengthen your team.
Keeping it on context, I was responding to building a program around the Portal. That's where Manny was sliding to because his recruiting had diminished and development wasn't there.

It’s not sustainable because Mel Tucker and his staff was successful at it lol.

I agree. I look at it like the NFL. They acquire players either via draft, free agency or trade. There is no equivalent of draft process in College, I would say free agency is HS recruits, the best available go for the most money or the team that gives them the best chance to win. I see the portal as a trade. If you bring in a stud WR, you may lose a WR. All this "disrupt the locker room" stuff is BS to me. Unless they are just off the wall like Antonio Brown, you are seeing more and more "super teams" where top players go play with other top players.

For example if we had Jarvis Landry, people would complain about bringing in OBJ in. (I get it did not work for the browns but that was not for OBJ or Landry being upset)

Advertisement
Back