Transfer Portal watch

I wanna know why it isnt sustainable?.
The transfer portal isnt closing. For schools like Ole Miss..this can be done yearly.

I mean the Miss schools and Kansas State FOR YEARS live off of the JUCO TRANSFERS. Its the same thing. Recruit regularly high school guys..but plug in immediate starters with upper classman transfers.

We honestly could live off of it some as well...but we sit in the high school mecca. Places like Miss, Michigan State dont have that luxury
Let’s see how Michigan state does this year. I just think depending on the portal will come back to bite you every few years depth wise. But we will see. Michigan state is a good case study to see if it is something you can depend on to keep your program afloat year after year.

Advertisement
It's unrealistic to throw a bunch of guys together out of the Portal and expect them to gel as a team. Yes, a few players, but not your entire starting lineup. Michigan State struck gold, but it’s not sustainable in the long run and why would you want to rely on the Portal for a majority of your players? It means you lack in recruiting and failed to to develop the guys you did recruit.

If you simply leave your roster empty at each recruiting cycle because you think you can do better in the portal than with high school kids, you're making an assumption you'll get top players out if the Portal. That's a risky proposition.

The teams thst really heavily on the Portal are just not recruiting at a high level and/or not developing their players. That's what happened with Diaz. Had he been retained we would have had a 30-40ish class and forced to go heavy in the Portal.

Not everyone of our Portal transfers were productive. Tste Martell, Asa Martin, Trevor Hill, Tommy Kennedy, DeAndre Johnson.

Once Mario signs top 5 classes there will be very little need to hit the Transfer Portal. Maybe 2-3 per year due to guys transferring out.
TWO of the names you listed were starters. (Hill, Johnson) We hit in the portal more than we miss.

I mean you COMPLETELY dismissed what i stated...The Miss schools, KSTATES, MICHIGAN STATES dont have the recruiting pool...it doesnt mean they are lacking in recruiting..it has become a weapon currently the portal...because kids dont have to sit out a year like before.

Its not what happened with Diaz...he just couldnt coach. Bama has had top 5 classes for over a decaade and still have to jump in the portal for kids at positions they have landed multip[le 5 star kids at.

Let’s see how Michigan state does this year. I just think depending on the portal will come back to bite you every few years depth wise. But we will see. Michigan state is a good case study to see if it is something you can depend on to keep your program afloat year after year.
Michigan State is a sh*t program with or without the portal. They have a cap on what they do. I dont need to look at them i can look at my own team who were the portal kings...with Manny bum *** without the portal we wouldve been UF 4-5 win level.

Michigan State is a sh*t program with or without the portal. They have a cap on what they do. I dont need to look at them i can look at my own team who were the portal kings...with Manny bum *** without the portal we wouldve been UF 4-5 win level.
Ok fair enough but even with the portal we couldnt even make the ACC title game let alone win it..So it still didnt benefit us... You mentioned KState using the JUCO route but is that who we are striving to be? Lol. Im not saying dont use it at all. What I am saying is bringing in 15-25 portal kids in one offseason? And doing that every offseason? Meh. Okay, lets see. Time will tell if any of those teams on that list are hoisting a conference or national title in the next few years.

14F64F0A-2F1E-4A92-9C1A-5BD870D89DD9.jpeg

Advertisement
Ok fair enough but even with the portal we couldnt even make the ACC title game let alone win it..So it still didnt benefit us... You mentioned KState using the JUCO route but is that who we are striving to be? Lol. Im not saying dont use it at all. What I am saying is bringing in 15-25 portal kids in one offseason? And doing that every offseason? Meh. Okay, lets see. Time will tell if any of those teams on that list are hoisting a conference or national title in the next few years.
Ok i think some stuff is getting confused in my post.

My post isnt for us to go ALL portal. My post is questioning why folks dont think its sustainable. Teams like the Miss schools, Mich state, K STATE, will NEED the portal to just be competitive. Nebraska needs to use it to. Ole Miss would have seen a drop off this year...but with the portal they gonna be on teams *** and a tough out.

Its obvious we will be active for awile in the portal though(got a whole coach dedicated to it)...i think we will sit with anywhere from around 3-7 kids yearly out of there.

TWO of the names you listed were starters. (Hill, Johnson) We hit in the portal more than we miss.

I mean you COMPLETELY dismissed what i stated...The Miss schools, KSTATES, MICHIGAN STATES dont have the recruiting pool...it doesnt mean they are lacking in recruiting..it has become a weapon currently the portal...because kids dont have to sit out a year like before.

Its not what happened with Diaz...he just couldnt coach. Bama has had top 5 classes for over a decaade and still have to jump in the portal for kids at positions they have landed multip[le 5 star kids at.
Bama has to jump in the portal? You going there, really? They don't have to go to the Portal. They choose to because they're getting 2-3 elite players.

Bama has to jump in the portal? You going there, really? They don't have to go to the Portal. They choose to because they're getting 2-3 elite players.
They have to...to remain elite..The 2 kids they are bringing in are better than what they have at the position off head. They had no legit rb behind their starter and Gibbs likely was better than their starter anyway...Their best wrs going on 2 years will be portal guys in Jameson Williams and now the kid from UGA.
Their young wr's in the champ game looked like Wiggins and Pope.

Advertisement
They have to...to remain elite..The 2 kids they are bringing in are better than what they have at the position off head. They had no legit rb behind their starter and Gibbs likely was better than their starter anyway...Their best wrs going on 2 years will be portal guys in Jameson Williams and now the kid from UGA.
Their young wr's in the champ game looked like Wiggins and Pope.
They're only getting a couple to ad to a team that's already loaded

I wanna know why it isnt sustainable?.
The transfer portal isnt closing. For schools like Ole Miss..this can be done yearly.

I mean the Miss schools and Kansas State FOR YEARS live off of the JUCO TRANSFERS. Its the same thing. Recruit regularly high school guys..but plug in immediate starters with upper classman transfers.

We honestly could live off of it some as well...but we sit in the high school mecca. Places like Miss, Michigan State dont have that luxury

I think because of roster numbers and counters.

In the most extreme scenario, say you use your counters to take 25 transfers every year, all seniors, and ***** high school recruiting. Well, then in 4 years, you would only have 25 kids on the roster.

Of course no team is gonna do that, but the point is to show the downside of transfers which is it drives your roster #’s down.

For the record, I think we should take 10 transfers this year. But just mentioning as far as the sustainable part goes.

Advertisement
I’m not sure what the argument is. No one is saying Miami should be Michigan State. But it’s clear transfers have had a massive impact on teams, even good teams.

Is it sustainable to be a championship team and need to rely on the portal? probably not. But the second level programs can stay relevant because of the portal and the top programs can differentiate themselves because of the portal.

Right now we have holes. We can not count on ACCCG level play at multiple positions. So you got to fill those if the portal has kids you can trade up for. Especially given this is a transition year and the new staff made no promises to the current players.

The argument about culture seems strained. D’Eriq King was a portal kid and was a massive positive force for culture. Think about the mess in the QB room before King. The LSU and OSU and Oklahoma QBs didn’t upset the culture. Coaches set the culture. I’m quite sure Mario can manage through it.

No one likes losing. If you’re a player on a team that has a lot of kids leaving and a lot of new kids coming in, you look at WHO is leaving and WHO is coming in. If the inbound players give the team a better chance to win and are quality kids, then the returning players will love the change.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back