Transfer Portal watch

The NCAA needs to admit it made a mistake and reinstate the requirement that transfers sit a year. This portal **** is going to turn football into a pickup game.

It’ll change if coaches do a better job a recruiting too. If the portal turned into a last resort as opposed to a priority it’ll be a different story. I have heard stories of p5 coaches recruiting a group of guys from a particular region one year then return back the following year and say they players they brought in were trash. I’m like “but you recruited those players. Everyone in the area knew they weren’t that talent level but you took them anyway…”

Advertisement
can the ncaa tell a kid now to sit a year if the kid has endorsement deals? would that survive a lawsuit of idk, restraint of trade?

i suspect the ncaa can't stuff this genie back in the bottle

The NCAA needs to admit it made a mistake and reinstate the requirement that transfers sit a year. This portal **** is going to turn football into a pickup game.
Disagree the portal benefits more teams. Helps gather talent from the bamas and Georgia’s of the world so they can’t just lie and stack talent away from the rest of the country and hold kids hostage Bc if the fear of sitting out a year

Advertisement
The portal was started before they dropped the one year wait. Jaelan Phillips had to wait a year before he could play here. Only grad transfers could play immediately. That immediate eligibility rule was only supposed to be for last year. I have not seen whether or not they extended it.

Coaches don't have to sit out a year when they up and leave for more MONEY.
For the good of the game (and, imo, the players), the one year requirement was an important stabilizer. You could write a book on why. I'm not going to. If you asked me a few years ago how to most effectively turn college football into a circus, I would've probably told you let the kids get paid (essentially without oversight) and transfer without penalty. Those two things, however well intentioned, are quickly transforming college football for the worse imo.

For the good of the game (and, imo, the players), the one year requirement was an important stabilizer. You could write a book on why. I'm not going to. If you asked me a few years ago how to most effectively turn college football into a circus, I would've probably told you let the kids get paid (essentially without oversight) and transfer without penalty. Those two things, however well intentioned, are quickly transforming college football for the worse imo.
I understand how you feel. I have a teenage son that's going through it right now. It causes a lot of damage when coaches make promises to kids and their parents and then leave said program for a bigger payday.

Advertisement
1638823642445.png

1638824943614.png

Oluwatimi has been named one of three finalists for the Rimington Trophy on Monday. This trophy is annually awarded to most outstanding center in college football. Oluwatimi is the first UVA center to be a finalist for the award. Oluwatimi has started all 12 games for Virginia in 2021 and has started 32-straight dating back to the 2019 season. This past season he has helped the Cavaliers average 515.8 yards per game of total offense, the third most of any team in the country. According to Pro Football Focus, he is ranked second-highest among all FBS centers with a 90.2 run blocking grade and only allowed three sacks and five QB hits in 2021. He earned Second Team All-ACC Honors.

Advertisement
View attachment 166015
Oluwatimi has been named one of three finalists for the Rimington Trophy on Monday. This trophy is annually awarded to most outstanding center in college football. Oluwatimi is the first UVA center to be a finalist for the award. Oluwatimi has started all 12 games for Virginia in 2021 and has started 32-straight dating back to the 2019 season. This past season he has helped the Cavaliers average 515.8 yards per game of total offense, the third most of any team in the country. According to Pro Football Focus, he is ranked second-highest among all FBS centers with a 90.2 run blocking grade and only allowed three sacks and five QB hits in 2021. He earned Second Team All-ACC Honors.
Idk. Jakai played really well last year when he replaced Corey.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back