Transfer Portal watch

Could Mario be managing spots in the class - portal v high school signees/commits like the OC/DC search - SLOWPLAY?

Advertisement
But of bad news here, but not surprising.

Ole Miss was hoping to get DJ James on campus this weekend. He’s a no-show. The 247 mod said he’s hearing that DJ is gonna sign with Auburn soon.

Last edited:
1DC69FB1-46E2-4825-9D94-2515C6EC2B4C.png

Advertisement
It's absolutely critical to be on the portal guys first and get the first visit. They want a one week recruiting process in most cases. Every situation is different but I think we need to be more aggressive early on.
That's my only criticism so far. Seems we're a step behind offering some of these guys. I'm sure that'll change once we have a full staff/support staff/recruiting department in place. But we're wasting critical time rn.

Advertisement
That's my only criticism so far. Seems we're a step behind offering some of these guys. I'm sure that'll change once we have a full staff/support staff/recruiting department in place. But we're wasting critical time rn.
Yup, exactly. We have coaches moving across country, roles not filled, etc. Everything is new so this shouldn't be a surprise but I hope to see Mario and staff adjust a bit once the staff gets finalized.

Advertisement
Yeah I've said all three of those guys were coming over the last few days. Ladson I said over a month ago lol. Moultrie concerned me because of so much talent in this wave that it could throw things off a bit. If he can commit I'd expect it to be soon, Ladson too. Parrish is also coming but I wouldn't put a date on that.

Id expect some more guys before its all said and done when school starts. Then hit it again after spring. I posted last week another big wave is coming after the natty game and as you see there's a lot more talent entering. Maybe that throws things off with other guys that were interested. Predicting the portal and landing spots is dangerous business lol.

Yup, exactly. We have coaches moving across country, roles not filled, etc. Everything is new so this shouldn't be a surprise but I hope to see Mario and staff adjust a bit once the staff gets finalized.
Depends also what are the philosophy of our new coaches on portal.. They might not be as aggressive as we used to be, does anyone know how they attacked portal when at Oregon? I know they killed it with recruiting high school kids so maybe they just wanted to develop their own talent but have they any quotes how they feel about it overall? I know guys like Dabo is against it but all the top teams have benefited from it BIG TIME, LSU, Bama, Okla, OSU, etc. Including us, arguement can be made last few years are best players were transfers..

Advertisement
These guys are fine and will improve the quality of the team, but none of them move the needle for me to be quite honest. And that’s fine to an extent, because we need to improve the overall quality of the roster. However, we’re missing a big-time, eye opening impact player - a Stevenson-esque, Rambo-esque transfer. Even Phillips was exciting because of his potential (not saying Ladson isn’t). Hopefully this second wave of portal entries and/or Spring portal entries bring us that guy or two.
People said Rambo was a meh take last year since he fell off from at OU after a good season. I’d say half the board or more. Ladson is more talented and has potential juat like Rambo. FL has issues with injures. He was a begging burn most of his time at Clemson before injuries or covid.

I like the take because it’s money time for him, it’ll be all business because he knows he’s running out of time , and this is his moment to shine. It’s very low risk with unlimited reward.

Yeah I've said all three of those guys were coming over the last few days. Ladson I said over a month ago lol. Moultrie concerned me because of so much talent in this wave that it could throw things off a bit. If he can commit I'd expect it to be soon, Ladson too. Parrish is also coming but I wouldn't put a date on that.

Id expect some more guys before its all said and done when school starts. Then hit it again after spring. I posted last week another big wave is coming after the natty game and as you see there's a lot more talent entering. Maybe that throws things off with other guys that were interested. Predicting the portal and landing spots is dangerous business lol.
I just appreciate the info, i understand everything is fluid,.

Depends also what are the philosophy of our new coaches on portal.. They might not be as aggressive as we used to be, does anyone know how they attacked portal when at Oregon? I know they killed it with recruiting high school kids so maybe they just wanted to develop their own talent but have they any quotes how they feel about it overall? I know guys like Dabo is against it but all the top teams have benefited from it BIG TIME, LSU, Bama, Okla, OSU, etc. Including us, arguement can be made last few years are best players were transfers..

Im just going to say it...I think Manny worked the portal better. He was zerod in and stealth on guys. I dont think Mario had to play that game all too much as they were recruiting fits better at his stops from hs kids from BAMA TO oregon.

I think we land some guys, and Mario will adapt to it fast as **** and figure out who to hit. The portal is quick...on elite guys. you have to jump ont hem...there isnt slow plays as the other schools are applying more pressure as well.

Advertisement
Back