Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement

I would still prefer two grad transfers but with the coaching change, he may get a waiver to play immediately. Also, if he is like Sam, a stretch 4 who does not rebound then that could be a problem.

I would still prefer two grad transfers but with the coaching change, he may get a waiver to play immediately. Also, if he is like Sam, a stretch 4 who does not rebound then that could be a problem.

At this point, we're lucky to get anyone. I can easily see them taking no one based on how they've approached this the last X years.

Advertisement
At this point, we're lucky to get anyone. I can easily see them taking no one based on how they've approached this the last X years.

That would be bad because technically, Miami only has 8 active, healthy guys for the four exhibition games in August and the start of the regular season. Brooks needs to be a waiver to play this season and Gak (December) and Stone (January) are recovering from ACL tears. Who knows when they will be cleared to practice and play.

There are still 190 grad transfers available so filling the last two scholarships is not impossible. D.J. Williams from GW is still available and Moustapha Diagne is a 6-9 245 C from Western Kentucky who is immediately eligible. The question is how much playing time is Coach L looking to give these players. Coach L seems pretty confident that Rodney Miller will start at the 5 and Sam Wardeenburg is his stretch 4.

Not unless the coaches think a kid or two will reclassify late into the 2019 recruiting class.

Last edited:
I keep coming back to this thread just to see the words "considering Miami" and yet I haven't seen it going on 2 months. L and his staff are a joke and IMO this is a fire able offense alone. Not to mention his coaching the last few years and recruiting last year.

Not going to happen with this university, but this guy should be on the clock

Advertisement
That would be bad because technically, Miami only has 8 active, healthy guys for the four exhibition games in August and the start of the regular season. Brooks needs to be a waiver to play this season and Gak (December) and Stone (January) are recovering from ACL tears. Who knows when they will be cleared to practice and play.

There are still 190 grad transfers available so filling the last two scholarships is not impossible. D.J. Williams from GW is still available and Moustapha Diagne is a 6-9 245 C from Western Kentucky who is immediately eligible. The question is how much playing time is Coach L looking to give these players. Coach L seems pretty confident that Rodney Miller will start at the 5 and Sam Wardeenburg is his stretch 4.

Not unless the coaches think a kid or two will reclassify late into the 2019 recruiting class.
I don't want to hear lack of depth excuses from L and co if we struggle this year. They aren't even going after any more grad transfers to fill out the roster, and our current position is still very scary, particularly in the frontcourt.

I keep coming back to this thread just to see the words "considering Miami" and yet I haven't seen it going on 2 months. L and his staff are a joke and IMO this is a fire able offense alone. Not to mention his coaching the last few years and recruiting last year.

I understand and share your frustration. Fact is, though, L has recruited better than any coach in UM hoops history.

So, while L and staff need to be accountable there also needs to be a deeper look at WHY the UM hoops program has never (with the exception of the tie for the Big East Championship back around the turn of the century (Coach Ham), and the more recent ACC "double" we pulled off) the program has never really gotten off the ground. No matter who the coach has been.

I understand and share your frustration. Fact is, though, L has recruited better than any coach in UM hoops history.

So, while L and staff need to be accountable there also needs to be a deeper look at WHY the UM hoops program has never (with the exception of the tie for the Big East Championship back around the turn of the century (Coach Ham), and the more recent ACC "double" we pulled off) the program has never really gotten off the ground. No matter who the coach has been.

This is true, we had our chance though. Horrible coaching by L and staff with brown, huell, and walker & sprinkle in ncaa investigation.

Advertisement
I don't want to hear lack of depth excuses from L and co if we struggle this year. They aren't even going after any more grad transfers to fill out the roster, and our current position is still very scary, particularly in the frontcourt.

For the record, I am not making any excuses. I am on record (multiple times) that Miami should sign two more grad transfers for this season and use the 5 available scholarships on the 2020 recruiting class. It gives Coach L 5 seniors and 4 juniors on the roster and he does his best coaching jobs with "older teams".

I am a supporter of Coach L and his staff so I fully expect Miami to win 20 plus games this season, compete for the ACC Championship and make the NCAA tournament along with getting one or two wins in the tournament.

For the record, I am also the person who asked the question in another thread, if Miami loses this season and Billy Donovan has resigned or been fired from OKC, does Miami consider a coaching change.

Just to set the record straight, this is where I stand. Miami should and I expect them to be better this season.

Yeah Coach L is one of the MOST respected coaches in college basketball. You are a troll!

Advertisement
For the record, I am not making any excuses. I am on record (multiple times) that Miami should sign two more grad transfers for this season and use the 5 available scholarships on the 2020 recruiting class. It gives Coach L 5 seniors and 4 juniors on the roster and he does his best coaching jobs with "older teams".

I am a supporter of Coach L and his staff so I fully expect Miami to win 20 plus games this season, compete for the ACC Championship and make the NCAA tournament along with getting one or two wins in the tournament.

For the record, I am also the person who asked the question in another thread, if Miami loses this season and Billy Donovan has resigned or been fired from OKC, does Miami consider a coaching change.

Just to set the record straight, this is where I stand. Miami should and I expect them to be better this season.
Dude Billy Donovan is NEVER coming here. You posted this before and you were rightfully ridiculed. Probably time for you to drop this one and move onto to something else.

Dude Billy Donovan is NEVER coming here. You posted this before and you were rightfully ridiculed. Probably time for you to drop this one and move onto to something else.

LOL. Ridiculed. Ridiculed for what? Making people think. Thinking outside the box. Not accepting failure as an option. That is what I did.

My post highlighted three events that would have to occur to make people think. Russell Westbrook gets traded (which has happened), Billy Donovan resigning (could happen but he may get fired during the season) and Miami having a second consecutive losing season in men's basketball. Those were the three scenarios that would have to occur that prompt my article to ask a question? Should Miami consider hiring Billy Donovan.

I was "ridiculed" because it made people think outside of their box and some people became uncomfortable. They never gave a legitimate reason. Their excuses were he will take a bigger job (low self esteem about Miami), it will not happen (accepting being average or below) and can't (I just use can't because thinking of a reason requires too much work). I laugh because that is the same way people thought of the football program before Howard Schnellenberger had a crazy idea about the University of Miami. His idea was "I can win in football at the University of Miami".

I laugh because the perception of the University of Miami is this poor little private school with no money or resources to compete in any sports. I laugh because the football, baseball, women's basketball, tennis and track and field teams participated in post-season play with one tennis player (Estela Perez-Somarriba) along with a track and field (Michelle Atherley) winning a National Championship. Pretty good for a school "allegedly" not good in sports. So the real question is, does Miami have the right people in place to take the next step as expectations are being raised where making the postseason is the norm and winning in the postseason is the goal. That is where people became uncomfortable and the "ridicule" began.

Billy Donovan will go where he can get paid and where he thinks he can win. If he thinks that is the University of Miami than he will come. Surely, if he can recruit kids to Gainesville, FL (no disrespect to Gainesville but it is not Miami or Coral Gables) than recruiting kids to come to Miami will be much easier giving the reputation and success he has experienced. Would if cost a lot of money to get Billy Donovan to coach at the University of Miami? Absolutely but the true question is, how much money would that generate for the school and how soon will the school see that money? The buzz of having Billy Donovan as the head coach would sellout the Watsco Center. I don't mean selling the allotment of season tickets. I mean turn on the TV and you don't see any empty seats selling out the arena. It means more Nationally televised games and it puts Miami in the National spotlight in the college basketball world. There are more pros than cons but you get my point.

Finally and again, I am a firm supporter of Coach L and his staff. I greatly appreciate what he has done in raising the expectations and showing people that winning at Miami is a true possibility. I fully expect him to win 20 plus games this season, compete for the ACC championship and make the NCAA tournament (winning a game or two) after adding two more grad transfers to use all 13 scholarships. Unfortunately, if that does not happened and Miami does not meet those expectations and Billy Donovan is available. Then the AD has to ask himself, what is best for the program?

Again, that is too much for some people to process so I will not comment anymore about this. All I wanted to do is make you think.

Last edited:
This is true, we had our chance though. Horrible coaching by L and staff with brown, huell, and walker & sprinkle in ncaa investiga
LOL. Ridiculed. Ridiculed for what? Making people think. Thinking outside the box. Not accepting failure as an option. That is what I did.

My post highlighted three events that would have to occur to make people think. Russell Westbrook gets traded (which has happened), Billy Donovan resigning (could happen but he may get fired during the season) and Miami having a second consecutive losing season in men's basketball. Those were the three scenarios that would have to occur that prompt my article to ask a question? Should Miami consider hiring Billy Donovan.

I was "ridiculed" because it made people think outside of their box and some people became uncomfortable. They never gave a legitimate reason. Their excuses were he will take a bigger job (low self esteem about Miami), it will not happen (accepting being average or below) and can't (I just use can't because thinking of a reason requires too much work). I laugh because that is the same way people thought of the football program before Howard Schnellenberger had a crazy idea about the University of Miami. His idea was "I can win in football at the University of Miami".

I laugh because the perception of the University of Miami is this poor little private school with no money or resources to compete in any sports. I laugh because the football, baseball, women's basketball, tennis and track and field teams participated in post-season play with one tennis player (Estela Perez-Somarriba) along with a track and field (Michelle Atherley) winning a National Championship. Pretty good for a school "allegedly" not good in sports. So the real question is, does Miami have the right people in place to take the next step as expectations are being raised where making the postseason is the norm and winning in the postseason is the goal. That is where people became uncomfortable and the "ridicule" began.

Billy Donovan will go where he can get paid and where he thinks he can win. If he thinks that is the University of Miami than he will come. Surely, if he can recruit kids to Gainesville, FL (no disrespect to Gainesville but it is not Miami or Coral Gables) than recruiting kids to come to Miami will be much easier giving the reputation and success he has experienced. Would if cost a lot of money to get Billy Donovan to coach at the University of Miami? Absolutely but the true question is, how much money would that generate for the school and how soon will the school see that money? The buzz of having Billy Donovan as the head coach would sellout the Watsco Center. I don't mean selling the allotment of season tickets. I mean turn on the TV and you don't see any empty seats selling out the arena. It means more Nationally televised games and it puts Miami in the National spotlight in the college basketball world. There are more pros than cons but you get my point.

Finally and again, I am a firm supporter of Coach L and his staff. I greatly appreciate what he has done in raising the expectations and showing people that winning at Miami is a true possibility. I fully expect him to win 20 plus games this season, compete for the ACC championship and make the NCAA tournament (winning a game or two) after adding two more grad transfers to use all 13 scholarships. Unfortunately, if that does not happened and Miami does not meet those expectations and Billy Donovan is available. Then the AD has to ask himself, what is best for the program?

Again, that is too much for some people to process so I will not comment anymore about this. All I wanted to do is make you think.
Why don't you write a few more paragraphs. Lol Go back and read the comments you were ridiculed.

Does anyone know if Brooks and the school applied for a waiver? LaQuill Hardnett, out of Cinn, just received one and he is going to Buffalo.

Advertisement
Back