Transfer arguments on Bleacher Report

The schools ARE the ncaa. They don’t need to leave, just change their own rules.

Are they though, I've heard on more than one occasion that schools chose to be in the NCAA, that it's not mandatory. I looked , but couldn't confirm anything, anyone know for certain?

Advertisement
You're acting like these kids haven't already turned down bags of they're here in the first place. A kid like Lingard for example, has already been offered all sorts of bags and obviously turned them down. If he's here and thriving, why would he all of the sudden start chasing bags?

IDK for sure if lingard took a bag but I do know that 9/10 5⭐ do take a bag in some form. Let's not act like Miami doesn't play the bag game, they do, maybe not as much as others, but Kosi definitely showed we have bagmen. Even Golden was able to get some highly ranked recruits.

Are they though, I've heard on more than one occasion that schools chose to be in the NCAA, that it's not mandatory. I looked , but couldn't confirm anything, anyone know for certain?
If they want to play vs other teams they need to be members.

IDK for sure if lingard took a bag but I do know that 9/10 5⭐ do take a bag in some form. Let's not act like Miami doesn't play the bag game, they do, maybe not as much as others, but Kosi definitely showed we have bagmen. Even Golden was able to get some highly ranked recruits.

Some of the fans still hold on to the belief that the kids who commit here are immune to the money. Kid signs in the SEC, they are taking money, kid signs here, they just want to be here and turned down all the money from other schools.

Advertisement
You're acting like these kids haven't already turned down bags of they're here in the first place. A kid like Lingard for example, has already been offered all sorts of bags and obviously turned them down. If he's here and thriving, why would he all of the sudden start chasing bags?

Right, Miami gets all the kids who turn down money and sign here because of all the other reasons.

Some of the fans still hold on to the belief that the kids who commit here are immune to the money. Kid signs in the SEC, they are taking money, kid signs here, they just want to be here and turned down all the money from other schools.

I know lol. There was a period where we were atop of the bag game and it wasn't even close. Manny will bring that back.

Right, Miami gets all the kids who turn down money and sign here because of all the other reasons.
No. I'm sure kids at. Miami get some extra benefits. It happens everywhere. What's actually laughable is people who think Miami is competing on a bag level with schools like Alabama and Georgia. They have deep networks of boosters that Miami couldn't dream to have.

You’re talking about sunk cost in a situation where the university is profiting off these kids in a company store type system.

If the athletes aren’t being paid, then they shouid have some right to go somewhere else. If the schools want protect their investment in these kids, then it shouid be incumbent on them to give the athletes an environment that they don’t want to leave.
I agree that they should get a larger stipend, but transferring without actual cause (which is what it's going to occur, if it hasn't happened already (e.g. kid that signed an NLOI w/USC and then proceeded to transfer to Texas)) is not acceptable in my book. Something needs to be done, and it should be carried out by a completely independent 3rd party (not the NCAA). I understand & respect your perspective, and look forward to quick and fair actioning.

Advertisement
I agree that they should get a larger stipend, but transferring without actual cause (which is what it's going to occur, if it hasn't happened already (e.g. kid that signed an NLOI w/USC and then proceeded to transfer to Texas)) is not acceptable in my book. Something needs to be done, and it should be carried out by a completely independent 3rd party (not the NCAA). I understand & respect your perspective, and look forward to quick and fair actioning.

That kid signed with USC to play for Kliff Kingsbury. When Kingsbury left to take the Cardinals job, USC agreed to let him out of his letter of intent. He did not transfer. When you pick a program because you feel the coach and his system best benefits you and that coach sudden leaves and takes his system with him, what are you supposed to do? Coaches aren't forced to stay at one school. Why should players?

SEC hates this because it renders bags a general waste of money. If someone gets 100k to sign with Bama/UGA/LSU etc... and then leaves after redshirting a year, that’s a horrible return on investment, and I would bet my life would probably result in some violence.

For any school can’t play bag game it’s great because those will generally be good landing spots.

The other issue here is you gotta probably limit how many schools you can go to. You shouldn’t be able to transfer 4 times. Basically once as an undergrad and then once as a grad transfer. You would typically only get a grad transfer if they redshirted, and something tells me, most kids will just transfer after a redshirt year because they are prissy *******.

This is literally Pandora’s box. I do suspect Tate will get denied though. If he gets his waver approved it would send the whole process into a tailspin, so for his sake, I hope they are doing a great investigation on urban and somehow linking Tate’s lack of playing time to some crazy coaching issue caused by him. Probably the only way.

Why would Tate's approval cause the tail spin when he'd only be one of the 80%+ approved?

I don’t believe there should be unrestricted free agency. That might hurt the game. And honestly I don’t realky know what the solution is other than maybe a one time transfer w no penalty rule.

I do tho think that the impact of transfers is being overstated. Generally speaking, the kids moving around haven’t been contributors on the 2 deep. After all, what’s the point of moving if you’re already playing? I’m just not sure that teams are going to lose much more than some depth.

Last edited:
That kid signed with USC to play for Kliff Kingsbury. When Kingsbury left to take the Cardinals job, USC agreed to let him out of his letter of intent. He did not transfer. When you pick a program because you feel the coach and his system best benefits you and that coach sudden leaves and takes his system with him, what are you supposed to do? Coaches aren't forced to stay at one school. Why should players?

^^^
This.

Advertisement
And honestly I don’t realky know what the solution is other than maybe a one time transfer w no penalty rule.

Get rid of the graduate transfer rule for kids at a 4 year University.

IOWs, treat a kid that's in good academic standing for 2 years at a 4 year University, the same way you treat JUCO graduates that can transfer to most schools...basically treat the former like He/She had an Associates Degree.

Went into the portal and then re-signed with Texas.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back