Trajan Bandy - local recruiting influence?

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
I thought that Trajan Bandy was one of those kids that players in SoFla follow? Where has his recruiting influence been?

Wasn't he close with Harley?

He couldn't even help us with his teammate, Henderson.

Advertisement
Shows that kids will do what they want. I'm not going to knock Bandy. Especially considering he appears to be one of those rare kids that want to put on for his hometown, and he's a really good player on top of that. It is what it is, don't knock Bandy for others actions.

I'm not knocking Bandy at all or do I want to. I just thought that he would have a recruiting impact on other guys and it seems like he has had zero impact

I really don't buy any of that stuff to be honest with you. We heard the same thing about Jaquan Johnson.

I really don't buy any of that stuff to be honest with you. We heard the same thing about Jaquan Johnson.

This at the end of the day kids are going to do what they want. But there are certain kids you simply can't miss on like Quincy Wilson who had a good bit of influence, dalvin cook, cooper and others. Who knows how that 2012 class would have ended up if duke johnson didn't go to Miami...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Building Bandy up to be a south Florida leader that other kids will follow was the problem. Lots of unnecessary words to exaggerate the situation. Bandy has been great, none of the other kids should reflect on him.

Building Bandy up to be a south Florida leader that other kids will follow was the problem. Lots of unnecessary words to exaggerate the situation. Bandy has been great, none of the other kids should reflect on him.
Same im glad bandy is a cane as he should be. At the end of the day kids are going to go where they want

We probably need to start realizing that the "leader" schtick only works in closing with down low brothers like Tyler Byrd that like to lick male bellybuttons. At this point we're best just counting on legacies and the occasional non-local kid that tries to assume the role of recruiter/Canes propagandist.

Advertisement
I don't personally subscribe to that narrative. Seems like those recruiting package deals rarely work out that way. Kids typically go down different paths as they approach NSD. Just another piece of the rhetoric you hear about why Miami needs to do this or that to improve recruiting when there are other overwhelming factors people overlook ($, negative recruiting, program culture)

That "he's a local legend - kids will follow" line of thinking has been one of the bigger lines of BS I've heard in recruiting in the past 5+ years. Point blank - that kind of nonsense affects maybe 2% of recruits. We've recruited countless "local legends" and none has really yielded results.

Heard it with Jaquan, yearby and countless others.

So now we are blaming the kids from SF who committed to us for the recruiting failures of our coaches. We need more bags and better evaluation of talent. No excuse for offering Scott and Dingle before some of these other kids.

Advertisement

This at the end of the day kids are going to do what they want. But there are certain kids you simply can't miss on like Quincy Wilson who had a good bit of influence, dalvin cook, cooper and others. Who knows how that 2012 class would have ended up if duke johnson didn't go to Miami...

I guess what I'm saying is, that only seems to work against us, and not in our favor. I mentioned Jaquan Johnson, but the same could be said about Duke Johnson as well. He's a local high school legend they said. Everyone looks up to him they said. None of that stuff mattered. We had one good class, and I'm not sure what that had to do with Duke. Meanwhile those other guys you listed have supposedly reaped benefits for other schools for years. Bottom line is the coaches need to find good football players (shouldn't be a problem in South Florida), recruit the **** out of them, and then coach them up. All the other talk is just that imo.

Last edited:
Recruits having 'influence' is always overrated. Kids are gonna go where they wanna go and where they think its best for them. This is the same reason package deals almost never work out. On occasion there have been transcendent players that other recruits look at and say "i wanna be on that dude's team" but that is rare.

Kids only have negative influence down here. If a kid comes here, other kids won't follow. If they leave, somehow they can pull multiple kids away, sometimes years after they graduated. If Amari Cooper comes to the U, I don't think we would be having other WRs say "I need to follow Cooper to the U and continue the SFL WR Tradition" like Jeudy said this week. We are an outlying case in almost everything.

Advertisement
Recruits having 'influence' is always overrated. Kids are gonna go where they wanna go and where they think its best for them. This is the same reason package deals almost never work out. On occasion there have been transcendent players that other recruits look at and say "i wanna be on that dude's team" but that is rare.

The last kid I remember having that type of influence was Chris leak for you guys a while back.

Recruits can only act as a conduit for other croots...

Unless your staff is handing bags to a high profile recruit in order to recruit his teammate, then they don't have much (if any at all) influence on getting other kids on board.

The only thing they can do is tell other croots about the staff & give them the real about how the program works.

Also, if you payed attention, McFarland stated that Bandy was a huge reason as to why Miami is his #1 school...
He said Bandy is his guy & that he tells him everything he wants to know about the program & the Coaching staff.
Bandy has been a big part of Mac's recruitment.

Kids only have negative influence down here. If a kid comes here, other kids won't follow. If they leave, somehow they can pull multiple kids away, sometimes years after they graduated. If Amari Cooper comes to the U, I don't think we would be having other WRs say "I need to follow Cooper to the U and continue the SFL WR Tradition" like Jeudy said this week. We are an outlying case in almost everything.

Puzzling....

Recruits can only act as a conduit for other croots...

Unless your staff is handing bags to a high profile recruit in order to recruit his teammate, then they don't have much (if any at all) influence on getting other kids on board.

The only thing they can do is tell other croots about the staff & give them the real about how the program works.

Also, if you payed attention, McFarland stated that Bandy was a huge reason as to why Miami is his #1 school...
He said Bandy is his guy & that he tells him everything he wants to know about the program & the Coaching staff.
Bandy has been a big part of Mac's recruitment.

The bandy stuff with mcf is all window dressing. Mcf has had a strong relationship with Richy and brown for a long time now - even while bandy was committed to OU

Advertisement
Back