Tracy Howard CB

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
Tracy Howard is part of a very talented Miramar team and he talked about his senior season after seven games.

"Everything’s going real good," Howard said. "I’m playing my best football ever right now. It feels great and I'm excited to keep going."

Howard, 6-feet and 175 pounds, has become one of the nation's most heavily recruited cornerback prospects.

"A lot of schools are still recruiting me hard," he said. "Florida, Florida State, West Virginia, USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama, and Miami are just some of the schools whose coaches are still calling me," he said. "It's a lot."

There's been a lot of talk about Howard's top choices and he's named a few different ones over the last several months but now he's keeping things more open than ever.

"There are a lot of great programs on there and it's gotten tougher," he said. "At this point I can’t narrow it down to any favorites. I just want to be patient and see what happens. I'm talking to the schools I mentioned and we'll see what happens from here. I just wanna find the best opportunity for me."

Howard will get to choose up to five of those schools to visit but he's not sure which ones yet.

"I don’t have any official visits scheduled yet," he said. "I'll probably start doing that soon."

Inside the classroom Howard claims a 3.3 GPA and an 18 ACT score.

Advertisement
Instinctively, Howard reminds of Nick Waisome from the 2011 class but he brings more of a physical element to his game. He has very good size and speed, not elite, and is extremely versatile in coverage and overall skill-set. Understands schemes and shows great anticipation skills. Very reactive to the ball in both man and zone coverages and seems to routinely put himself in correct position to make plays. Pedal is tight, controlled and transitions in and out smoothly and quickly. Hips are very fluid. Very effective in press and playing off the ball. Will play receivers aggressively off the line using strong hand technique to reroute, retain inside leverage and does not over extend. Mirrors tightly over the top of receivers in off-man coverages and opens his hips to turn and run showing little wasted movement. He could become a bit more crisp out of his breaks but is direct and very well balanced in his overall footwork. Shows very good breaking burst closing the cushion in zone schemes or when peeling off in man-to-man. In deep coverage he can provide favorable matchups on taller receivers with his good length and leaping skills. Ball skills could be polished. Keeps proper positioning on the jump-ball. Flashes great recovery and football speed when he is caught out of position. Run support skills are solid but it's one area that can be improved and should be as he adds more size. He will come up and tackle on perimeter run and pass support and is reliable in the open field. Overall, Howard is one of the top lock-down corners in the country and should be able to step in early and play a similar role at the next level. True cover corners are hard to find at the high school level; but he has the instincts, physical ability and technique coaches covet.

Advertisement
Instinctively, Howard reminds of Nick Waisome from the 2011 class but he brings more of a physical element to his game. He has very good size and speed, not elite, and is extremely versatile in coverage and overall skill-set. Understands schemes and shows great anticipation skills. Very reactive to the ball in both man and zone coverages and seems to routinely put himself in correct position to make plays. Pedal is tight, controlled and transitions in and out smoothly and quickly. Hips are very fluid. Very effective in press and playing off the ball. Will play receivers aggressively off the line using strong hand technique to reroute, retain inside leverage and does not over extend. Mirrors tightly over the top of receivers in off-man coverages and opens his hips to turn and run showing little wasted movement. He could become a bit more crisp out of his breaks but is direct and very well balanced in his overall footwork. Shows very good breaking burst closing the cushion in zone schemes or when peeling off in man-to-man. In deep coverage he can provide favorable matchups on taller receivers with his good length and leaping skills. Ball skills could be polished. Keeps proper positioning on the jump-ball. Flashes great recovery and football speed when he is caught out of position. Run support skills are solid but it's one area that can be improved and should be as he adds more size. He will come up and tackle on perimeter run and pass support and is reliable in the open field. Overall, Howard is one of the top lock-down corners in the country and should be able to step in early and play a similar role at the next level. True cover corners are hard to find at the high school level; but he has the instincts, physical ability and technique coaches covet.

WOW. Just saw this for the first time. Looks like USC is in play for him.

Do you mind if I copy this for one of my USC Boards? I will give you credit.

This is OUT****INGSTANDING.

On the Other Miami Board, there was a guy who posted there that Coached DB's at Miramar.

Are you that same guy?

Advertisement
I find it very interesting that so many 4 & 5 star kids are really THIS wide open with only a month to go.

Probably wouldn't mind if we actually had a chance, but his mom sure likes the attention.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I love it how we always seem to miss the "cant miss" recruits

Duuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkeeeeee

But yeah I know you know....I feel your pain.

+1, thank God for Duke. I just pray he gets a little help. Our defense needs a drastic upgrade.

Still shocks me that we have trouble with elite DB's. I mean Brandon Harris was about it. McGee was a QB they thought would transition well and other guys like Rogers and Payne were laughably overranked.

You would think some more would want the playing time at DB that will be opening up.

Advertisement
Back