Tourney Central (It’s time for ball!)

Then why not sit him, if you see him struggling? There is also a big difference playing against the teams on our yearly schedule and playing in a playoff game. Some players can't handle the pressure of playing on a larger stage.

He pinch hit for him, but like Fraser used to say "if the pinch hitter was better, he'd be starting". And he has the power to leave the yard, so you hope the pitcher misses his spot (high fastball obviously), and he runs into one.

Advertisement
If you asked anyone prior to the season if they "would be satisfied with 7 players batting 0.300, winning ~41 games and losing to the #6 team in the nation in a close Regional", they would have expressed satisfaction.

All services universally laud our recruiting class, and this year's freshmen-class might be the best in the country based on actual production.

My expectations next year are winning a Regional. IF we end up hosting the Supers, then my expectation would be to definitively win the Super because Morris never lost a Super that he hosted.

My main concern is pitching. They probably will not draft Van Belle, and we will have Cecconi, McMahon and Keysor next year. Federman, McKendry and Veliz are gone, but Federman may return if they do not meet his salary demands. Federman's father is one of the top neurosurgeons in Miami, so he may stay another year. Di Mare keeps mentioning the "pitching haul" they are bringing in, and UM always seems to end up with an Ace in each class, so we should definitively be better next year.

Am thrilled with 2019.....

He pinch hit for him, but like Fraser used to say "if the pinch hitter was better, he'd be starting". And he has the power to leave the yard, so you hope the pitcher misses his spot (high fastball obviously), and he runs into one.

Sit Gates? He hit .340 (.320 in ACC games) as a true freshman.

Unreal

If you asked anyone prior to the season if they "would be satisfied with 7 players batting 0.300, winning ~41 games and losing to the #6 team in the nation in a close Regional", they would have expressed satisfaction.

All services universally laud our recruiting class, and this year's freshman might be the best in the country based on actual production.

My expectations next year are winning a Regional. IF we end up hosting the Supers, then my expectation would be to definitively win the Super because Morris never lost a Super that he hosted.

My main concern is pitching. They probably will not draft Van Belle, and we will have Cecconi, McMahon and Keysor next year. Federman, McKendry and Veliz are gone, but Federman may return if they do not meet his salary demands. Federman's father is one of the top neurosurgeons in Miami, so he may stay another year. Di Mare keeps mentioning the "pitching haul" they are bringing in, and UM always seems to end up with an Ace in each class, so we should definitively be better next year.

Am thrilled with 2019.....

Why don't you just take your positive outlook and shove it, you obviously accept "mediocrity" and are the reason the program has fallen so far...I hope your happy!

Advertisement
You are either a troll or new to the program. He's done more with less than just about any pitching coach in the country year in and year out.

He has screwed up too many players arms. I asked the question previously about when was the last season UM didn't have pitchers who missed all or part of a season with arm problems. So far, no answer.

When you have first line pitchers out for all or part of a season, it only puts a strain on the rest of the staff. At the end of the season, all you have left is a staff with a bunch of tired arms. this makes the staff as a whole, less effective.

Why don't you just take your positive outlook and shove it, you obviously accept "mediocrity" and are the reason the program has fallen so far...I hope your happy!

Well............ I am happy! (I kid, I kid.....)

Am fairly certain that we will have 9 players batting over .300 next year. Look at how much Toral improved year-over-year..... We may have too much production and may suffer from attrition after "Fall Ball". There will be at least 3 freshman that could bat over 0.300 that may be "on the bench" next year. Hopefully, they "wait their turn", or Di Mare finds a way to keep everyone happy...........

McMahon seems to suffer an injury every year, but he made it through 75% of 2019 intact. If he stays healthy during all of 2020, we could be special. They may not draft McKendry..... One never knows.

Arteaga always finds a new starter in every class. I think that he is one of the best in the country, but would be interested in knowing what pro scouts think of Arteaga.

Di Mare diametrically improved batting year-over-year. The guy hired Bascolm Palmer to develop batting practice glasses for the team. They showed him during the game yesterday staring at a dugout wall of statistics. Am impressed with him thus far. He seems highly motivated. He can be rough. We have known him for 40 years and he is not "an easy person" unless he is fond of you.... He did a great job this year, in my opinion......

The pitching staff as a whole was criminally misused. Put the blame on Gino or Arteaga or both, it doesn’t matter. But I have always wondered why we couldn’t land the studs UF and FSU get. We have always lacked true front line guys and have always had short bullpens. Who’s fault is that?

Advertisement
He has screwed up too many players arms. I asked the question previously about when was the last season UM didn't have pitchers who missed all or part of a season with arm problems. So far, no answer.

When you have first line pitchers out for all or part of a season, it only puts a strain on the rest of the staff. At the end of the season, all you have left is a staff with a bunch of tired arms. this makes the staff as a whole, less effective.

I don't know what you are basing that on, because all I have seen are the mid-week and weekend rotation guys throwing once a week. Hardly a stressful situation that injuries can be blamed on.

The pitching staff as a whole was criminally misused. Put the blame on Gino or Arteaga or both, it doesn’t matter. But I have always wondered why we couldn’t land the studs UF and FSU get. We have always lacked true front line guys and have always had short bullpens. Who’s fault is that?

I don't know the answer to that (although central and N Fl seem to put out more power arms), but I always wondered how UF seemed to get a few high draft choice guys to return for their final year. Our recent classes are an improvement though - just need more of them.

Advertisement
Two things, the partial scholarship took a while for private schools to work around, thus starting the trend of losing top recruits to the holes and turds, and secondly, it is clear the recruiting under Morris took a hit, for whatever reason. The talent we lost to the draft plays a part too, baseball is by far the trickiest of all to recruit. All went downhill after Correa's class, that was the kick in the *******.

Yeah ok. We lost our top 2 starters for 6 weeks and the team didnt crater. Maybe they should make you the coach. Also, UF and FSU are state schools MUCH cheaper than going to UM. Much easier to get players in a sport where there are no full scholarships

Advertisement
Yeah ok. We lost our top 2 starters for 6 weeks and the team didnt crater. Maybe they should make you the coach. Also, UF and FSU are state schools MUCH cheaper than going to UM. Much easier to get players in a sport where there are no full scholarships

As everyone on the Board knows, the scholarships are my biggest concern.

It is not fair to force athletes to opt for state schools due to arbitrary scholarships restrictions. The scholarships were at 19 in the early seventies and are now at 11.7. That is ridiculous. Why force an economically disadvantaged Cuban-American baseball player to endure chants of "row, row, row your boat" in Tallahassee or Gainseville...............

You are forcing students to choose between free tuition (at a "Southern" school) or a $193,880 loan. That is ridiculous!

It is not fair to force athletes to opt for state schools due to arbitrary scholarships restrictions. The scholarships were at 19 in the early seventies and are now at 11.7. That is ridiculous. Why force an economically disadvantaged Cuban-American baseball player to endure chants of "row, row, row your boat" in Tallahassee or Gainseville...............

You are forcing students to choose between free tuition (at a "Southern" school) or a $193,880 loan. That is ridiculous!
And all of your usual top ranked private schools seemed to fall off the college baseball map for a minute, even Vandy did back then if I recall. They were the first to "regain" some plight. USC hasn't recovered. We are almost there, Stanford seems to have rebounded.

The private school excuse doesn’t work when other private schools pump out big league talent every year. We held together fine this year with how little number arms we had. I’m talking about a decade of this, not just this year. If you can’t see that it’s held us back then I can’t help you

And then you see the crowd last night, only color you would see would be the **** marks from their shoes walking to the stadium. yeah lol at their bs excuse for diversity and women's sports, title ix, all that nonsense. It was the start of all this participation trophy **** in society. Who knew that was the catalyst.

Advertisement
Back