Toughest Cane Ever

tradesmencane

Recruit
We have had a lot of great players that have played at the U. One player that most Canes fans are not familiar with is an old school Cane player. Jim Otto. Young Blood Cane fans takes notes. You are about to get a history lesson on what a bad *** is in real life. He was an All-Star in the first 13 of his 15 seasons-every year in the old AFL from 1960 through 1969 and three of his five seasons in the NFL. He was also named the starting center on the AFL All Time Team.
He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980, the first year he was eligible.

This dude body was punished greatly during his NFL career, resulting in nearly 74 operations, including 28 on his knee. That’s right 28 operations on his knee. Nine of those operations were during his playing career. Ouch!!! His freaking joints became riddled with arthritis, and he developed debilitating back and neck problems. He has a book that he wrote “The Pain of Glory”. In his book he described the near-death experiences from medical procedures including fighting off three life- threatening infections due to complications from his artificial joints. WTF!!! During one six-month stretch, he was without a right knee joint because he had to wait for an infection to heal before another artificial knee could be implanted. Otto eventually had to have his right leg amputated. This dude says he has no regrets and wouldn’t change a thing even if given the opportunity to do it over again. This dude is one tough individual. He must be in Ripley Believe It Or Not record for most operations on one freaking knee. 74 operations have to be a Guinness World Record. I can see it now the doctor operating of his knee saying not you again. His wife saying retire already and this dude telling his wife I love this freaking game. That’s insane. Not only is he the toughest Cane ever he has to be the toughest football player EVER.

Jim Otto you are one tough individual. This is one dude I would love to sit down and have a beer with and discuss football. The football stories this dude must have would be off the chain.

Last play of the game your down by 4 or 5 points. Let’s paint a picture. You’re on the opposing team 1-yard line. One play for all the marbles. Jim Otto will state “don’t worry I got this follow my lead block”. This bad *** will either pancake the DL or block the DL all the way to the goal post up the stadium walkway aka a Randal Hill remember the Texas game in the tunnel and the QB will walk it in the end zone. This old school bad *** as an old school Cane will raise his arms up to signal a TD. If this bad *** played during the current time frame he would raise his arms up to signal a TD and throw up the U. He has the it factors, determination, grit and perseverance. I’m betting house money on that one block to win the game.

Jim Otto the man, the myth, the legend. You are a bad ***.

Advertisement
I'm not reading all that.
It's actually a good read. I learned some history of Jim Otto. To summarize some of the highlights.

1. All-star in 13 of 15 seasons
2. Elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980, his first year of eligibility.
3. Body punished greatly in NFL career resulting in 74 operations, including 28 on his knee
4. Nine operations were during his playing career.
5. Wrote a book called, "The Pain of Glory."
6. Describes in book the near-death experiences from medical procedures, including fighting off three life-threatening infections due to complications from
his artificial joints.
7. Eventually had to have right leg amputated
8. Last play of the game, down by a few points with chance to win. Run it behind Otto. He will either pancake the DL or block the DL all way to goal post.
9. Jim Otto the man, the myth, the legend. You are a bad ***.

Advertisement
Ok… I’ll paraphrase. Jim Otto is a real life, bad ***! Probably the toughest SOB the Canes or the NFL has ever had to lace ‘em up. The end!
Ya scanning I saw Otto, but appreciate the cliffs lol.

Advertisement
We have had a lot of great players that have played at the U. One player that most Canes fans are not familiar with is an old school Cane player. Jim Otto. Young Blood Cane fans takes notes. You are about to get a history lesson on what a bad *** is in real life. He was an All-Star in the first 13 of his 15 seasons-every year in the old AFL from 1960 through 1969 and three of his five seasons in the NFL. He was also named the starting center on the AFL All Time Team.
He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980, the first year he was eligible.

This dude body was punished greatly during his NFL career, resulting in nearly 74 operations, including 28 on his knee. That’s right 28 operations on his knee. Nine of those operations were during his playing career. Ouch!!! His freaking joints became riddled with arthritis, and he developed debilitating back and neck problems. He has a book that he wrote “The Pain of Glory”. In his book he described the near-death experiences from medical procedures including fighting off three life- threatening infections due to complications from his artificial joints. WTF!!! During one six-month stretch, he was without a right knee joint because he had to wait for an infection to heal before another artificial knee could be implanted. Otto eventually had to have his right leg amputated. This dude says he has no regrets and wouldn’t change a thing even if given the opportunity to do it over again. This dude is one tough individual. He must be in Ripley Believe It Or Not record for most operations on one freaking knee. 74 operations have to be a Guinness World Record. I can see it now the doctor operating of his knee saying not you again. His wife saying retire already and this dude telling his wife I love this freaking game. That’s insane. Not only is he the toughest Cane ever he has to be the toughest football player EVER.

Jim Otto you are one tough individual. This is one dude I would love to sit down and have a beer with and discuss football. The football stories this dude must have would be off the chain.

Last play of the game your down by 4 or 5 points. Let’s paint a picture. You’re on the opposing team 1-yard line. One play for all the marbles. Jim Otto will state “don’t worry I got this follow my lead block”. This bad *** will either pancake the DL or block the DL all the way to the goal post up the stadium walkway aka a Randal Hill remember the Texas game in the tunnel and the QB will walk it in the end zone. This old school bad *** as an old school Cane will raise his arms up to signal a TD. If this bad *** played during the current time frame he would raise his arms up to signal a TD and throw up the U. He has the it factors, determination, grit and perseverance. I’m betting house money on that one block to win the game.

This Jim Otto? He was friends and played high school ball with my father in laws dad. Gave me these since he knows I’m a die hard Cane.
IMG_3819.jpeg

IMG_3820.jpeg

IMG_3821.jpeg

A lot of those dudes from that era were like that. Different mentality back then. Not taking anything away from Otto who was an absolute badass. I remember Chuck Bednarik talked to my team in high school. Dude worked a job in the off season, fought in WW2, and of course his hands being all f-d up. Those guys would laugh at things like load management and rest days.

Advertisement
Advertisement

He was a genuine badass. Dude played in pain at such a high level. Difficult to do. Go Canes 🏈

Advertisement
Back