Tough Night Last Night

Last night was 27 years to the day I lost a good friend to leukemia. We were only 15 years old then. In May, he set the junior high 400m track record. In the fall, as a freshman, he was getting snaps as the 2nd string tailback on a high school football team that went to state. November 7 he was gone. Shortly after he passed, his father gave me the Miami hat he wore in the hospital to hide his chemo ravaged balding head. The next season, UM went undefeated and won a National Title. I was hooked. Years later, I had the U and his football # tattooed on my shoulder on October 30, 1997. UM was I believe 2-4 at the time, struggling through probation. But I believed that it’s always darkest before dawn. The sun would rise again on Miami. UM became my way to hold on to my friend. My loyalty paid off. 16 years ago, I sat in the Rose Bowl to watch us win another ring. 27 November 7ths have come and gone. 27 straight November 7ths I’ve been at that cemetery to visit him. We talk about old times. We talk about girls. And we talk about Miami football. After 27 years, my love of this university has grown so deep. It’s been an honor and a priveledge to be a part of it all. It’ll be an honor and a priveledge to enjoy what’s to come. I love you my Cane brethren...and I love this U.

Advertisement
U Family!

Exactly brother! I still have the "U Family" shirt from the Bryan Pata fundraiser! The sad thing is, that happened on the same day. 11 years ago I returned home from visiting my friend, only to see the news across the ESPN scroller. I couldn't believe it.

Advertisement
Last night was 27 years to the day I lost a good friend to leukemia. We were only 15 years old then. In May, he set the junior high 400m track record. In the fall, as a freshman, he was getting snaps as the 2nd string tailback on a high school football team that went to state. November 7 he was gone. Shortly after he passed, his father gave me the Miami hat he wore in the hospital to hide his chemo ravaged balding head. The next season, UM went undefeated and won a National Title. I was hooked. Years later, I had the U and his football # tattooed on my shoulder on October 30, 1997. UM was I believe 2-4 at the time, struggling through probation. But I believed that it’s always darkest before dawn. The sun would rise again on Miami. UM became my way to hold on to my friend. My loyalty paid off. 16 years ago, I sat in the Rose Bowl to watch us win another ring. 27 November 7ths have come and gone. 27 straight November 7ths I’ve been at that cemetery to visit him. We talk about old times. We talk about girls. And we talk about Miami football. After 27 years, my love of this university has grown so deep. It’s been an honor and a priveledge to be a part of it all. It’ll be an honor and a priveledge to enjoy what’s to come. I love you my Cane brethren...and I love this U.

I think Sat. night you will be watching the game as your friend looks down on you and you will both be cheering, smiling, laughing and celebrating a huge win with each other and with your U family. GO CANES!

Keep him as your strength and always hold him close like you are. I lost my best friend in ‘99 during hurricane Irene so I somewhat know how you feel, brother. Good on you for never forgettkng your friend like lesser people may have. Rep that hat, remember your friend, and gain strength through it all.

With you man. Win or lose he's watching and grateful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Thanks for sharing that very personal story. We have all kinds of People on this forum. Republicans, Democrats, Christians,Jews, Hispanics, Blacks,Liberals, Conservatives and independents. Your story reminds us all that we are ultimately bound by our humanity made in the image of our creator and with his great capacity for Love. Your story is an example of a lasting love between young friends. You were lucky to have him but my friend he was lucky to have you. Thanks again

I'd like to think that if there is an afterlife, your friend is still shouting down at the stadium on third and short.

I remember a call that I did in Liberty City where a 55 year old black man was having a heart attack.

As we were loading him into the truck, he insisted we bring him his hat, and a family member brought out a wore out early 90's M-I-A-M-I logo hurricane hat.

He had it on his stomach.

"I always gotta have my hat, man."

Advertisement
****, is someone cutting onions in my office?

Great story. I'm sure your friend is always with you in spirit.

****, is someone cutting onions in my office?

Great story. I'm sure your friend is always with you in spirit.

I'm not crying, you're crying....

What a great story and wonderful remembrance of your friend. He's smiling down on you and our U, cheering for every win.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back