Torrence Gibson......

Why are people so sure he can't play QB? Right now he is not a refined passer, but its not as if he has a quirky release or anything unfixable. He's inaccurate because IMO he has very poor footwork, which is not all that uncommon for young QB's. Especially for a guy like Gibson who has only been playing the position for ~3 years.

He's tall at 6'4, has a frame to carry around 220, and is uber athletic. He's everything today's NFL is looking for. All you have to do is look at the recent trends in drafting QB's. If he wants the position I see no reason why he shouldn't pursue it. Every tall, fast guy doesn't automatically make a great receiver.

Advertisement
Heres what I think happens, he commits to Auburn as a qb and becomes very close to Cam Newton BUT he'll only play most likely 1 year and blow up that year while looking suspect as a qb. He'll enter the draft and teams will try him out at wr, he'll get drafted in the 1st 2 rounds to a team with an elite qb and then he'll give up and play wr while being a multi time pro bowler. The difference with him and other dt qbs is that even though he doesnt have a long future there he has elite athleticism and size that can't be taught and NFL teams will drool over him regardless so he can play qb now and it won't hurt his draft stock. That's what he's thinking

Why are people so sure he can't play QB? Right now he is not a refined passer, but its not as if he has a quirky release or anything unfixable. He's inaccurate because IMO he has very poor footwork, which is not all that uncommon for young QB's. Especially for a guy like Gibson who has only been playing the position for ~3 years.

He's tall at 6'4, has a frame to carry around 220, and is uber athletic. He's everything today's NFL is looking for. All you have to do is look at the recent trends in drafting QB's. If he wants the position I see no reason why he shouldn't pursue it. Every tall, fast guy doesn't automatically make a great receiver.

just like every big athletic qb doesn't equal a good qb. if he's gonna have any success at qb, it will have to be a gimmicky offense tailored to him like the dude from auburn. and a lot of those qb's you're referring to in the nfl aren't panning out as well as some thought early on.

Honestly I wouldn't come here if I was him. Hes made for Auburn or OSU imo

I think his ultimate goal is NFL money, not a Heisman. Playing quarterback for those schools won't help him get that money.

Cam was able to buck the trend, but Gibson doesn't have that sort of pure passing ability. Miami needs to sell him on developing into a pro-- either at quarterback in a pro-style system, or if that fails, as a wide receiver in a pro-style system.

All you need to do is sit him down and show him two case studies: Anquan Boldin and Denard Robinson. Both committed to their respective schools based on a promise that they would play QB. Both had the physical makeup to be premier at a different position. Boldin is set for life. Robinson is trying to make a roster as a running back.

You couldn't have said it any better. I remember Denard turned us down, because we wanted him as a WR or Corner. Yeah he was nice in College, but what about afterwards? Bolding ending up being a star receiver and multiple time pro bowl receiver.

Gibson could end up being a QB but it will take some more extensive development and practice. He could be plug and play at receiver and has more upside there. He has many things to polish as a QB but I do see the potential.

I wouldn't want to come here to switch to WR. With the talent already there and the 2016 class he would be going against after red shirting, PASS.

Advertisement

just like every big athletic qb doesn't equal a good qb. if he's gonna have any success at qb, it will have to be a gimmicky offense tailored to him like the dude from auburn. and a lot of those qb's you're referring to in the nfl aren't panning out as well as some thought early on.

Are people really still on the spread=gimmick kick? Because that offense is dominating the NFL right now, albeit most of those offenses are spread to run.

And I honestly wasn't even talking about QB's like Cam. Even the 'pocket' guys are insanely athletic now. Luck for example was 6'3 225 and ran a 4.6. Athletic QB's are now the norm in the NFL, Gibson has the athleticism to excel at the position. Again, he's very raw but he has no glaring issues. Just because he's tall and fast doesn't mean he'd be a good WR. That may have been the thought process years ago, but teams are looking for guys with his physical profile to throw the rock now.

Sorry I've been sold that a mobile can't play college QB too many times only to be wrong... For as many failure stories u have just as many success stories...there have also been some big time mobile QBs comin outta college that failed at WR.... I'd let him stay at QB and also bring him at QB

The difference with him and other dt qbs is that even though he doesnt have a long future there he has elite athleticism and size that can't be taught and NFL teams will drool over him regardless so he can play qb now and it won't hurt his draft stock. That's what he's thinking
So did Terrelle Pryor. Means nothing in the long run.

Bring in Torrance as a QB. See T.Pryor, B. Miller, N.Marshall, C.Newton, T.Smith, M.Vick, J.Manziel, RGIII, R.Wilson, V.Young, D.Robinson among plenty of other successful college QBs.

Advertisement
Sorry I've been sold that a mobile can't play college QB too many times only to be wrong... For as many failure stories u have just as many success stories...there have also been some big time mobile QBs comin outta college that failed at WR.... I'd let him stay at QB and also bring him at QB

He may have a decent college career at QB, but if he wants to play in the NFL he will have to play WR. At WR he has a chance at QB he has ZERO chance. Mobile QB's suck in the NFL. Hard to run when a 250 Pound LB can run as fast or faster than you can.

He may have a decent college career at QB, but if he wants to play in the NFL he will have to play WR. At WR he has a chance at QB he has ZERO chance. Mobile QB's suck in the NFL. Hard to run when a 250 Pound LB can run as fast or faster than you can.

Yea but you gotta follow your heart mane...if his heart is at QB by all means ya gotta pursue it

Yea but you gotta follow your heart mane...if his heart is at QB by all means ya gotta pursue it

Well he can pursue that **** somewhere else. Kid would never see the field here anyways behind Kaaya and Allison.

I think things with him could get interesting.....

Ohio State has most recently been named his leader. Let's say J.T. Barrett, the redshirt freshman QB that's taking over for Miller at Ohio State, has a great season. This will mean that Torrence will have to sit on the bench for at least another two years to wait his turn. I think Auburn and Ohio State are the only schools that are really offering him a chance to play QB. Tennessee has already signed a 4-star QB for next year's class, so I'm not sure if he is a priority for them anymore. I think his love for the spotlight and the decision to wait to make his decision has caused other schools to sign other QBs for the 2015 class. Maybe he decides to listen to what the experts are telling him and make the switch to WR, commits to the #Revolution, redshirts to get more acclimated to the position, and comes in as another weapon for the 2016 season. What do you think? Too far fetched, or realistic?

Coming right from a heavy hitter at UT, Butch plans on switching him to WR if Gibson signs with them. I do some work with this guy who is a mega booster for UT & is personal friends with Butch. UT would absolutely take his commitment with this in mind. I also think Gibson is probably aware of this and it's why he's toned down the UT talk.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know we are all Miami fans but he has offers from programs that are far better than we have been to play the position he wants to. And hes not smart because he wont switch to WR????

Advertisement
Back