Top OC & DC choices for next head coach?

Regarding Jeff lebby. How does he get judged being that his previous boss was heupel who called the plays. And then now kiffin who calls the plays ?
Small sample size, but they had an early game this year when Kiffin had covid. Lebby called plays

Advertisement
There are numerous DC'S and OC's at top programs that "might" consider coming to Miami. I would definitely consider any interested candidates.

I also would consider top coaches at lower NCAA divisions.

For years S. Dakota's HC developed championship teams and was snapped up by Minnesota and immediately turned that program around. I'm sure there are other proven winners who if given the chance can also be successful at higher levels.

It's time we stop looking down our noses at these proven winners thinking that we can land bigger fish. We simply aren't as attractive as we think we are.We're a middle aged former beauty pageant winner who thinks she can compete today against a changed world.

Facilities are important but a good culture changing coach is far more important. One step at a time. There are coaches out there who can do more with less.

Fact is, we need a complete cultural makeover and a hard realty check. We cannot compete financially with the big guys NEVER COULD.in the past and especially now. Yet in the past we competed successfully with less. Yes the administration can do more but their financial resources as a private University are limited. That's not going to change.

There are examples of successful private Universities Duke, Stanford and Notre Dame immediately come to mind. What they have that
we don't are outside contributions from their fans and rich donors.

Small sample size, but they had an early game this year when Kiffin had covid. Lebby called plays
They produced on offense

BC3CEFBD-83A2-4A9F-B479-5F7C1BB314C4.png

Advertisement
Regarding Jeff lebby. How does he get judged being that his previous boss was heupel who called the plays. And then now kiffin who calls the plays ?
He’s learned under some of the best Offensive architects in the business being with Heupel & Kiffin.

But even before them he’s another one of the branches from the Art Briles tree that has produced some of the most innovative minds in offensive play design & play calling, he’s a very smart young guy that is highly heralded as a top tier OC. There’s a reason why he was Kiffin’s first hire once he got the Ole Miss job.

And he actually did call plays when he was OC at Southeastern, obviously that’s a much lower level than D1 P5 ball, but Lebby is not a fish out of water when it comes to being a play caller.

Advertisement
Kiffin does not call the plays, it is 100% Lebby. And this is from someone on staff. I thought the same until they informed me on it.
If true:

1. Makes me like Lebby even more
2. Makes me like Kiffin even more.

Manny elects to make himself DC meanwhile Kiffin hires a bright mind to work underneath him

Fact is, we need a complete cultural makeover and a hard realty check. We cannot compete financially with the big guys NEVER COULD.in the past and especially now. Yet in the past we competed successfully with less. Yes the administration can do more but their financial resources as a private University are limited. That's not going to change.

There are examples of successful private Universities Duke, Stanford and Notre Dame immediately come to mind. What they have that
we don't are outside contributions from their fans and rich donors.
This is only half true. The University could absolutely put the resources together for a huge splash hire. Failing that then the next best option is a legit program builder. The problem is I don't trust them to make the right move in either of these scenarios.

Advertisement
This is only half true. The University could absolutely put the resources together for a huge splash hire. Failing that then the next best option is a legit program builder. The problem is I don't trust them to make the right move in either of these scenarios.

We simply disagree.

I don't have a problem with that.

Could they do more? It's possible

It's always easy to say how someone else should be spending THEIR MONEY. .

Last edited:
Yep. I remember a press conference before 2020 season where he talked about handing off playcalling and being more of a CEO
If true:

1. Makes me like Lebby even more
2. Makes me like Kiffin even more.

Manny elects to make himself DC meanwhile Kiffin hires a bright mind to work underneath him
For sure, I just don’t know how realistic getting him would be for that reason. I think his next move would be a HC move vs a lateral move. IF we did get him, that is a grand slam hire.

Advertisement
There is no doubt Miami athletics is at a crossroads similar to Target a few years back.

Continue doing the same thing and trend towards bankruptcy. Commit to change and innovation, inject more cash to facilitate change, and watch your investment flourish under the right leadership

I do agree that this current administration has NOT recently made good choices and definitely should seek outside help in making this decision

For sure, I just don’t know how realistic getting him would be for that reason. I think his next move would be a HC move vs a lateral move. IF we did get him, that is a grand slam hire.
I think he's pretty loyal to Lane at this point. You're right it might take a HC opportunity and he might not be far from a G5 job.

Hitch your wagon to good coaches and don't leave that situation. Good philosophy.

Lebby 100% is not ready to be a HC at a school like Miami.

I could def argue going from Ole Miss to Miami would be an upgrade.

Advertisement
Back