Top Head Coach Candidates

Put me down for Heupel. Guy showed he has balls in that Memphis game and knows quarterbacks and offense. He establishes the run well and his backs are playing well. Seems like a fired up guy too. Yeah his defense sucks but maybe that’s Randy’s fault lol

Advertisement
Matt Campbell makes the most sense to me.

Doesn’t run a gimmick offense - but smart enough to understand modern concepts.
Successful- what he has built in Ames is really incredible.
Young - but has a lot of head coach experience.
His defense has been nasty.
Intense guy, demands perfection.
I believe he would do well with recruits.

However, it would be a challenge to get him. 1. He is paid very well at ISU. 2. With his success it opens up many opportunities for him. I could see him staying in Ames until Ohio St. opens up. That’s his home state and the ISU people are concerned that is his eventual landing spot.

Advertisement
What list will Korn Hole and Fairy come up with? Leach is my guy same age as Babers and Leach.

winkler_display_image.jpg

**** I thought he was already our coach

Advertisement
Would love it if somehow the week of the Pitt game that Rick annonces he's leaving. I understand it's probably not happening, and I certainly don't want to find out there's something seriously wrong with his health. He's a good guy. Game has passed him by. Two different things. As a "good guy" and an alumni, maybe someone will have the right Come to Jesus meeting with him that he will listen to. Again, I don't believe for a second this will happen, but still hoping. Recruiting class suffers during December signing period either way. With him or without him. Hire the right guy, get a few 4 stars in February. Gear up for big signing class 2020. Rick has to go sooner than later.

Anything would be an improvement over what's happening right now..... Honestly that's about all I have to add.... On other sites I post too I've written all I can write over and over and over and I just have nothing left.... We need change... We really need change.

Hey SBERG, glad to see you on the site. Yeah I know you write extensively on SOTU so it’s good to see another brotha join up here.

As to preferences on HC’s I love the list you put together Liberty. My pick would be Campbell first then Novell. I’m not sure we could pull Campbell away from Iowa State it would cost us a bunch of money in what could be a biddding war. Day’s the heir apparent for Ohio St. Heupel is a very interesting thought - if you could couple him with Diaz boy would the Canes be super exciting to watch. It would be magical to see our offense scoring 30+ points a game. With Diaz at DC, we would blow out these pathetically weak sister teams in the ACC Coastal, and very much challenge Clemson as king of the ACC. Babers could also do the same I believe, and like you said he could generate a ton of momentum for the program in the living rooms of potential recruits.

I’m game for anyone off your list as long as they either keep Diaz or if they can’t get along, bring in a similarly accomplished DC. I don’t want us having to win games like Oklahoma does and did yesterday when Ok St inexplicably went for the 2pt conversion instead of tying up the game and playing on in to OT. I’m praying the BoT sees the incredibly huge amount of backlash that’s mounting every week with each additional loss. Richt could’ve maybe saved his hide by playing Perry and using it to give him game experience. But he mucked that up constantly wavering between Rosier and N’Kosi so much so that he probably has screwed Perry up badly. He’s probably going to only get better with a new QB/OC anyways. The BoT has to see all of this, plus the repercussions of losing 10,000-15,000 season ticket holders which would equate to easily more millions than what we’re paying Richt annually. It’s time....time to move on from this failed experiment, time to seriously look at a new AD, and bring in a new HC that will modernize our playing style and get us into the 21st century. Thanks for the crap show Richt, don’t let the door hit you on the way out with your packed box.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Any competent AD would force Richt to hire an OC and make him his heir as HC like FSU with Bowden and Fisher. If he refuses to do this, push Richt to retirement by making his life here unbearable.

Put me down for Heupel. Guy showed he has balls in that Memphis game and knows quarterbacks and offense. He establishes the run well and his backs are playing well. Seems like a fired up guy too. Yeah his defense sucks but maybe that’s Randy’s fault lol

But can he recruit and build a program? Frost built UCF.

Advertisement
Matt Campbell makes the most sense to me.

Doesn’t run a gimmick offense - but smart enough to understand modern concepts.
Successful- what he has built in Ames is really incredible.
Young - but has a lot of head coach experience.
His defense has been nasty.
Intense guy, demands perfection.
I believe he would do well with recruits.

However, it would be a challenge to get him. 1. He is paid very well at ISU. 2. With his success it opens up many opportunities for him. I could see him staying in Ames until Ohio St. opens up. That’s his home state and the ISU people are concerned that is his eventual landing spot.

I think Day will get the HC gig over Campbell, especially seeing as he’s already on the staff and showed during Urbie’s suspension that he had a firm grip on the team. That why I think we can land Campbell but as you stated, it won’t come cheaply.

Advertisement
Back