Off-Topic Top Gun Maverick 🇱🇷

GOCANES05

Recruit
Boys and girls,

You are in for a MACH full afterburner ride hang on tight , if you’ve seen the the original it ties right into it .

A summer proud to be an American movie, by the way Tom flies a lot of F-18 flying himself YEP plus he flies his personal F-14 TOMCAT.

A see again movie no doubt

Have fun and enjoy the ride 🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

Advertisement
Boys and girls,

You are in for a MACH full afterburner ride hang on tight , if you’ve seen the the original it ties right into it .

A summer proud to be an American movie, by the way Tom flies a lot of F-18 flying himself YEP plus he flies his personal F-14 TOMCAT.

Seen the first one dozens of times. I can recite the lines to most of the scenes. I own a Maverick flats skiff and my yellow lab's AKC registered name is "Maverick Top Gun of the Glades".

I hated the second film, and I'm shocked at how positive the reviews are. Maybe I've just become a grumpy old man.

*** Spoiler Alert - Stop Reading Now if you haven't seen it ***

How anyone can think that two pilots getting shot down over land, finding each other in the forest, running to a conveniently nearby Iranian Air base and stealing an F-14 to fly back to the aircraft carrier - is anything close to the tone or believability of the original, is beyond my comprehension. This was almost Sharknado level stupid. Here's a list of other issues I had with the movie:

1) When did Iran acquire territory that allows them to bury a uranium enrichment facility in an alpine forest, inland of a cold ocean?
2) The "mission" was a total ripoff of Star Wars and Luke Skywalker making the suicide run to blow up the death star
3) The Russian Air Force doesn't even have fifth gen fighters in their fleet yet, but the Iranians do?
4) The moment that Hangman was assigned to standby it was obvious how the dramatic ending would play out
5) Aside from Tom Cruise, Jennifer Connelly, and John Hamm, the acting sucked.
6) Almost every joke was a ripoff from the original

I thought it was really good. It had more flying and action. That lack of that action is what kept the first one from being a great movie, IMO. Movies don’t have to be believable to be enjoyable.

Advertisement
I don't think all movies have to be believable, but if I'm going to see the sequel to Full Metal Jacket, I don't want to get Rambo. Now I loved Rambo, and it was an appropriate sequel to First Blood which was also great, if not believable.

It's great people are finding something to enjoy and be excited about with this movie. Just didn't do it for me.

@GOCANES05 I didn't catch the Chuck Yeager tribute. Also, I read that Tom Cruise was not allowed to touch the controls as the Pentagon strictly prohibits this. He was just a passenger. Great flying scenes nonetheless.

I don't think all movies have to be believable, but if I'm going to see the sequel to Full Metal Jacket, I don't want to get Rambo. Now I loved Rambo, and it was an appropriate sequel to First Blood which was also great, if not believable.

It's great people are finding something to enjoy and be excited about with this movie. Just didn't do it for me.

@GOCANES05 I didn't catch the Chuck Yeager tribute. Also, I read that Tom Cruise was not allowed to touch the controls as the Pentagon strictly prohibits this. He was just a passenger. Great flying scenes nonetheless.

Chuck Yeager had no college education this held him back from space program and anything other than certain test flights or combat.

The Air Force was about to break the sound barrier and didn’t want him because he wasn’t smart enough.

So Chuck went and took the plane up and launched from a larger plane carrying the rocket plane.

He hopped inside and used a broom stick to steer the rocket plane and was the first man to break sound barrier he ended up crashing and walked away all burned up .

In the TG movie they canceled the Mach 10 program early so a general could do his program, Maverick took up the plane and broke Mach 10 speed record and crashing it an also walked away .

Many didn’t pick up on this

Seen the first one dozens of times. I can recite the lines to most of the scenes. I own a Maverick flats skiff and my yellow lab's AKC registered name is "Maverick Top Gun of the Glades".

I hated the second film, and I'm shocked at how positive the reviews are. Maybe I've just become a grumpy old man.

How anyone can think that two pilots getting shot down over land, finding each other in the forest, running to a conveniently nearby Iranian Air base and stealing an F-14 to fly back to the aircraft carrier - is anything close to the tone or believability of the original, is beyond my comprehension. This was almost Sharknado level stupid. Here's a list of other issues I had with the movie:

1) When did Iran acquire territory that allows them to bury a uranium enrichment facility in an alpine forest, inland of a cold ocean?
2) The "mission" was a total ripoff of Star Wars and Luke Skywalker making the suicide run to blow up the death star
3) The Russian Air Force doesn't even have fifth gen fighters in their fleet yet, but the Iranians do?
4) The moment that Hangman was assigned to standby it was obvious how the dramatic ending would play out

The SU-57 began entering the Russian Air Force in 2020. However the nation in the movie was clearly not Russia - it was most likely Iran as I do not believe any other countries operate F-14s. The Russians have an export version on the SU-57 but I am unaware if any have been sold yet.

At the same time, they didn’t show us Maverick living on an island in isolation, hating himself and the Navy, and drinking blue milk like a certain other legacy character from the 1980s.

Advertisement
At the same time, they didn’t show us Maverick living on an island in isolation, hating himself and the Navy, and drinking blue milk like a certain other legacy character from the 1980s.
In all fairness, look at that blue milk drinking character in his first film in that role. All he does is whine and complain.

It was entertaining but VERY unrealistic. The love story felt forced and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Totally agree, Vin Diesel said this was a bit much lol

Last edited:
Advertisement

To be fair I thought the acting sucked in the first one as well and the whole point was to mirror the first movie. Ripping off every joke and scene was for the nostalgia. That’s what the entire movie was for, nostalgia.

When it comes to the getting shot down and finding each other, there was no way they were gonna let Goose and his kid die in both movies. And they couldn’t let Mav die bc they had to finish the love story.

I enjoyed it, but I can see why people wouldn’t. It was very predictable, but so are plenty of other movies like, I’ll use Jurassic Park as an example bc a new one is coming out. It’s obvious what’s gonna happen but those are still solid movies.

Last edited:
Absolutely loved it. Best theater experience I’ve had in as long as I can remember…maybe ever. I was born after the original for reference.

I wish more movies would use practical effects more…maybe this is a trend setter. I’m sick of watching CGI filled action movies…it just takes you out of the movie. I felt like I was flying the f-18 when I saw this in imax.

Advertisement
3) The Russian Air Force doesn't even have fifth gen fighters in their fleet yet, but the Iranians do

The uranium facility was actually in Russia, see, they didn't tell us that cause it's classified!

Also, since you loved the first movie so much, there is no such thing as a MiG-28....those were portrayed by the F-5 Tiger which is an American trainer aircraft.

Just saw the movie. I thought it was great and really enjoyed that it wasn't all CGI like was said above. I also agree that 90% of the premise was silly but 90% of the movies today are jokes when it comes to reality. If you enjoyed the first one, I'd be surprised if you couldn't enjoy the new one. And Jennifer Connelly is just insanely hot.. she gets even better with age. I've always tried to hate Tom Cruise but the man just keeps making good movies.

Boys and girls,

Great movie, flight scenes were incredible. Not sure where you came up with Tom "flying" the f-18 himself, the USN was very clear in stating he was not allowed to fly, but rode back seat for F18 sequences just like the other actors. The plane HE DOES OWN is the P51 Mustang that he was shown working on in the opening scene and also in the closing scenes. That is an amazing plane that he had totally refurbished. He doesn't own an F14 Tomcat (The USN stated that there are 40 F14's still operational in the world ... all 40 are operated by the Iranian Air Force ... there are NO operation F14's in the USA ... only shells used for display in museums and on the USS Lexington). His planes are the P51 Mustang, a Gulfstream G4, and I believe he has another corporate jet. The entire cast that played pilots WERE exposed to intense Forces riding backseat and were taught how to run the cameras as well. Seeing that movie in an Imax theater adds another dimension with the larger screen and amazing sound.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back