Top FLORIDA Defensive Prospects of the last 5 years

LuCane, what did you think of Ryan Shazier as a prospect? Not in the top 10, but a prospect that I thought very high of. Fastest kid on the 2010 SFL express team.

I always liked him, but couldn't fairly say I'd have him on this list because I had seen him play with his hand down quite a bit and didn't know how he'd transition. His athleticism popped, though. Which, by the way, is something you see out of Thomas. When he's on the edge, it looks like everyone else is in slow motion.

Advertisement
I hate uf as much as anyone but Vernon hargroves iii was very impressive at ua game

This list says a lot about where we are now and where we haven't been the previous 4 years.

What are the ranking criteria?

- Last 5 years
- Defense
- From the state of Florida
- Where you'd rank them coming out of HS; not after they've already played in College.

It looks to me like you're ranking them as future pro prospects rather than college ones. Your commentary on VHIII says so. Heck, you even concede he's a 'safe bet' to be a third round pick. But implicitly because he's not a future first round pick, he slips on this list.

IMO he's a no brainer to be a very good college player, which should put him on that list. He's every bit the college prospect as Lemonier, IMO. Better, actually, because Lemonier had to put on a good amount of weight before he could hit his potential.

Advertisement
Have to agree with Thomas as the #1, kid is so versatile and athletic it's scary to see how he develops over the next 3 years.

Denard Robinson, we recruited him as a safety and he could of been pretty special there

Last edited:
Advertisement
is Chick not on that list because of last year because he was alot more saught after then alot of guys on that list....or could you see last years drop off coming?

is Chick not on that list because of last year because he was alot more saught after then alot of guys on that list....or could you see last years drop off coming?

+1 Chick was a beast coming out, he even outplayed Clowney in the UA game and took the MVP.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dallas Crawford needs some love.

Was there a bigger playmaker at DB than Dallas who had 19 picks his last 2 years in HS?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the ranking criteria?

- Last 5 years
- Defense
- From the state of Florida
- Where you'd rank them coming out of HS; not after they've already played in College.

It looks to me like you're ranking them as future pro prospects rather than college ones. Your commentary on VHIII says so. Heck, you even concede he's a 'safe bet' to be a third round pick. But implicitly because he's not a future first round pick, he slips on this list.

IMO he's a no brainer to be a very good college player, which should put him on that list. He's every bit the college prospect as Lemonier, IMO. Better, actually, because Lemonier had to put on a good amount of weight before he could hit his potential.

Solid points. You know I struggle with finding this balance. It's hard for me to think of them as "prospects" (meaning what their ceiling is and how they'll fulfill it) without that coming into play because I'm thinking of these guys more as what they'll be like in their last year or 2 years in college than their first two years. Hence, my commentary on VHIII. It was the same when we did the all-time Canes draft. When I look at these lists, I gravitate toward thinking of the players long-term, and therefore weigh in their ceiling.

I agree with others on Tony Steward. I'd put Derrick Henry in there on pure athleticism if he'd just agree to play defense

Advertisement
Back