Top FLORIDA Defensive Prospects of the last 5 years

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'd include VHIII, and I think Perryman (although smaller) is a better football player than Jones.

With that said, I agree with Thomas's spot at the top. Too versatile.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd include VHIII, and I think Perryman (although smaller) is a better football player than Jones.

You would have had Perryman over Jones coming out of HS, though?

Yes. Jones was bigger and very smooth for his size, but Perryman had better instincts and more pop IMO.

I don't think he would have been anywhere near my top 10, but fair enough. Make a list. I'd be curious to see it, at least.

As a prospect, I feel that Gary Brown could be in the 8-10 spot.

Tony Steward, Eddie Williams, Lamarcus Joyner are right behind the top 10.

VHIII - I know that he may have filled out most of his potential, when compared to most prospects. Regardless, player development can be crap shoot. One of, if not the safest bet to be a very good player/productive, in that 5 year class.

I just think it's a little absurd to not have VHIII on this list. If it's based on where they're at coming out of hs then he has to be on here bc he is far more developed now than any db this year. And I absolutely despise this bc he's a gator. I mean I hate those sneaky smug ***** but he is top ten on that list

Advertisement
Lamarcus Joyner was a speed demon, but he wasn't a good high school DB, IMO.

Helped coach him on the SFl Express. During his first practice, his technique was almost pop-warneresque (his stance, coming out of his break, transitioning out of his back peddle, spent too much time trying to maul during a jam, as well as a few other issues). Regardless, he was so athletically talented and aggressive that it allowed him to recover and look dominant against every top prospect that he played against in the badger 7v7 practices and games.

[video=youtube;DXeRrWoaRvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXeRrWoaRvA[/video]
[video=youtube;T50tkDTKjr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T50tkDTKjr0[/video]

I just think it's a little absurd to not have VHIII on this list. If it's based on where they're at coming out of hs then he has to be on here bc he is far more developed now than any db this year. And I absolutely despise this bc he's a gator. I mean I hate those sneaky smug ***** but he is top ten on that list

I said my piece. The guy is the safest bet to be at least a 3rd round pick. I just think he's closer to his ceiling as a prospect than some other guys I have above him.

Advertisement
I have been shocked that Karlos Williams hasn't got a starting S spot at FSU yet. He did seem like he was playing more at the end of the year for them. He's a physical freak.

I have been shocked that Karlos Williams hasn't got a starting S spot at FSU yet. He did seem like he was playing more at the end of the year for them. He's a physical freak.

I think you'll see him settle in now a bit more. FSU struggled to develop him immediately, but I guess he was caught between positions. He's playing LB now.

Here was a recent article: http://tampabay.sbnation.com/florid...12/12/4/3729376/karlos-williams-florida-state

It's said a lot, but a lot of this process can be luck. I referenced above how Perryman was a highly debated pickup during his year. A lot of people thought he'd come in at MLB. I thought he'd be a WLB. On the old grassy board, many of us liked him a lot and others thought he was too small. Our coaches, as D$ and some others close to the program can attest, straight up questioned/delayed whether to finally bring him on board or not. In other words, on a list like this, our coaches would have had Perryman at about 80 or something.

And, look at that: he made an almost immediate transition to the college game and was an impact player in just his 2nd year.

LuCane, what did you think of Ryan Shazier as a prospect? Not in the top 10, but a prospect that I thought very high of. Fastest kid on the 2010 SFL express team.

Have to have Demar Dorsey on there imo, and Lynch would be higher for me. One player I really liked and wanted was the Maggitt kid from Dwyer. Not sure if he would break my top ten as he was a bit of a tweener (similar to Quinton Powell this year) but, boy, was he a blur coming off the edge.

Advertisement
Back