Top 50 Head Coaches in Mens CBB

Advertisement
Shouldn’t Mark Few win a NC before he comes in art #2 considering the pro talent he has had?
Matt Painter just lost as a #1 seed in the 1st round And always underachieves in the tourney.

There are some really good coaches right now in college basketball. And we have one of them. But let me argue that if this list was simply “best tournament coaches” that L would be higher.

Shouldn’t Mark Few win a NC before he comes in art #2 considering the pro talent he has had?
Matt Painter just lost as a #1 seed in the 1st round And always underachieves in the tourney.

There are some really good coaches right now in college basketball. And we have one of them. But let me argue that if this list was simply “best tournament coaches” that L would be higher.

Tbf to Few, Gonzaga only in the past couple of years has started getting the high level recruits and I can only think of 3 (Jalen Suggs, Sabonis Jr, amd Chet). The rest are homegrown or foreign guys that stay 3-4 years.

If Nike bought Few the players Adidas has brought for Self, he definitely would have 3-4 titles.

Advertisement
You're not gonna find 16 NCAA coaches better than Coach L. Any list that has him that low is trash. Took an unheard of program that nobody had heard of, to the F4.... Then hitched his wagon to us, a school at which if you even considered talking about us being involved in a F4, other than football or baseball.... you would probably be declared clinically insane..... and actually took us to a F4....if heen in your top 10, or higher. Throw away the list.

This list looks like a popularity contest. Some names on there that have no business being there. Don't see how they have Sampson as a top 5 coach. I think Coach L should be somewhere between 5-10. They've got Shaka Smart way too low as well. He should be closer to the top 10. Jon Scheyer and Juwan Howard are too high. Neither has done done anything to warrant to be on any top coaches list. If anything they should be in that 45-50 range. A name that should be on this list is Wes Miller. My top 5 in no particular order would be Izzo, Pitino, Calipari, Few and Self.

Advertisement
This list looks like a popularity contest. Some names on there that have no business being there. Don't see how they have Sampson as a top 5 coach. I think Coach L should be somewhere between 5-10. They've got Shaka Smart way too low as well. He should be closer to the top 10. Jon Scheyer and Juwan Howard are too high. Neither has done done anything to warrant to be on any top coaches list. If anything they should be in that 45-50 range. A name that should be on this list is Wes Miller. My top 5 in no particular order would be Izzo, Pitino, Calipari, Few and Self.
No serious person would ever have Sampson above Izzo. I think that's actually a far greater disrespect than even our correct annoyance at the slight to L.

He should be at 12, ahead of Pearl and Oats. With absolute certainty.

Those two ethical disasters should be on probabtion from any and all lists.

Interesting list, to say the least. L is definitely in the upper-echelon of CBB coaches.

Not many coaches have taken two separate teams to FFs...

Advertisement
Tbf to Few, Gonzaga only in the past couple of years has started getting the high level recruits and I can only think of 3 (Jalen Suggs, Sabonis Jr, amd Chet). The rest are homegrown or foreign guys that stay 3-4 years.

If Nike bought Few the players Adidas has brought for Self, he definitely would have 3-4 titles.
Fair point but google “Gonzaga players in the NBA”. The list of current and former players is longer than either you or I thought. Current includes Rui, Andrew Nembhard, Zach Collins, Corey Kispert, Brandon Clarke, Kelly Olynk. It is frankly a very impressive list So I can see why kids want to play or him. But he needs to win A NC at some point to deserve a ranking over multi titles winners like Izzo, Pitino and Cal.

He should be at 12, ahead of Pearl and Oats. With absolute certainty.

Those two ethical disasters should be on probabtion from any and all lists.
Not only that but Tommy Lloyd has been the head guy for 2 years and Arizona has underperformed in the tournament. Matt Painter has been to 1 Elite 8. Purdue is more known for its choking in the tournament. Mick Cronan's teams typically underperform, too.

Speaking of ethical disasters. How 'bout that Chris Beard? Only reason the felony charges were dropped is his bride-to-be refused to be a cooperating witness. Ole Miss has no hiring ethics so he fits in nicely with the SEC circle of retrobates, such as Pearl and Oats.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not only that but Tommy Lloyd has been the head guy for 2 years and Arizona has underperformed in the tournament. Matt Painter has been to 1 Elite 8. Purdue is more known for its choking in the tournament. Mick Cronan's teams typically underperform, too.

Speaking of ethical disasters. How 'bout that Chris Beard? Only reason the felony charges were dropped is his bride-to-be refused to be a cooperating witness. Ole Miss has no hiring ethics so he so he fits in nicely with the SEC circle of retrobates, such as Pearl and Oats.

Great points. I kinda left Beard off because his bull**** is "off-court". He's a bad person, but I think that Pearl and Oats are unethical coaches too.

Fair point but google “Gonzaga players in the NBA”. The list of current and former players is longer than either you or I thought. Current includes Rui, Andrew Nembhard, Zach Collins, Corey Kispert, Brandon Clarke, Kelly Olynk. It is frankly a very impressive list So I can see why kids want to play or him. But he needs to win A NC at some point to deserve a ranking over multi titles winners like Izzo, Pitino and Cal.
Coach Cal is also a stacked Anthony Davis led team that had 7 guys go on to the NBA away from being left with a donut for number of NCAA titles, so not so sure he deserves to be put in the pantheon of all time coaches either.

Coach Cal is also a stacked Anthony Davis led team that had 7 guys go on to the NBA away from being left with a donut for number of NCAA titles, so not so sure he deserves to be put in the pantheon of all time coaches either.
Yeah he hasn’t done nearly as much with ONLY 1-2 NBA players a year. Consistent 1st and 2nd round NCAA losses.

John Calipari can't coach his way out of an outhouse anymore. Kentucky basketball should be what Alabama football is for all the resources poured into that program, there is no way he should go 10 years without a title and to say it nicely, Kentucky is just another squad now.

Advertisement
Back