Top 3 UM Bounty games I've Seen

Advertisement
OP..I was at the 89 Notre Dame game as well. They brought in extra bleachers in the open endzone and that game set the biggest attendance record for the Orange Bowl, including the Pope, all superbowls played there, rolling stone concerts etc.

We just knew there was no way were going to lose that game. Dale Dawkins took that first pass down the middle to the house and the OB was literally swaying.

When thrill caught the 3rd and 43 I thought the OB was going to shake apart

There were no seats left, I sat and stood on the concrete steps in the student section for that game. Boy did we party that night after the game. It was pure redemption.

Jimmys last words when he left the year before with tears in his eyes were "Beat Notre Dame"

Last edited:
That '89 Canes game, and the '85 Monday Night game against the Bears was and still is the craziest and best games ever at that stadium! It was as if the stadium collapsed onto that field, one of the few times I can recall going to a game as a kid, nervous and anxious (like any 10 and then 14 year old would), and then experiencing how that stadium was, the goosebumps, my hair rising from the electricity that night, the noise deafening that my dad couldn't hear me as I was screaming to him, and knowing without any doubt, that we were going to win! All my nerves were swept away prior to kickoff, and it was just time to sit back and enjoy that ride cus we were going to win

Only time I ever saw my dad scream like a girl with excitement lmao

1973 AFC championship game Fins vs Oakland. WEZ was so frigging loud Stabler, RIP, got up on the Raider bench and waved a white towel in surrender -- those were the days of the white hankies. Lord, I miss that stadium. Great Cane games are almost to many to remember.

3) David Klingler 91' - I remember this game...

I remember it well, Miami DESTROYED that team, they were never the same again. Only recently has that program seem to have recovered. It was bad. I believe Armstead said about that game "We took their souls"... and he was right.

Advertisement
Great thread, Jassid.

As for a bounty game to add to your list... U-Dub 2001.

The Huskies with the help of the pac 10 refs kept UM from winning the 2000 national title. When they came to the OB in 2001, not only did UM want to win but the Canes team wanted them embarrassed. I'll never forget the Canes being up by like 24 points mid 3rd quarter and seeing Joaquin Gonzales ripping into his team mates about pouring it on the huskies. That was a beat down of epic proportions that night.

Me and Franchise dont agree on much. (although I respect that man as Cane brethren) But he and I agree on one thing and thats how bad we want our defense to F' Dalvin cook up on Saturday. Im actually blood thirsty. I want this defense to have a personal bounty on this kid. Nothing that will get out in the public or get anyone in trouble..nothing involving money. Maybe a few rounds at a local bar or some hot wings. But they have to take this match-up personal.

This kid has $hitted on the 305, had career games against us, and has a deep hate for UM that is unexplainable for a kid who grew up in the city. Most kids have the "Hey, I didnt choose UM because it wasnt for me but I will always root for them secretly". Cook? I think this guy really hates us and GOOD. So with that said, I am naming the top "Bounty" games I can remember. Basically a list of games where we had an individual hate for someone on the other team..Where are guys were just teeing off every chance they got with no mercy.

3) David Klingler 91' - I remember this game and how bad our guys wanted Klinglers head on a stake. Klingler came in with all kinds of hype. Throwing for 500 yards a game. Unstoppable. Jesse, Darrin, and Mike Barrow took this game personal. I remember Daryl Williams and Charles Pharms destroying any WR that came across that middle. Jessie and Rusty Medearis were in Klinglers face all game. We walked off that field with the nation knowing that we were not to be F'd with.

2) Rocket Ismail 89' - We had just came off getting screwed out of the national title the year before. And Rocket Ismail was the "hottest thing on the streets". This is on record as the loudest the OB had EVER been. ND had no chance and Rocket Ismail was almost scared half the night to even catch the ball. I remember how amped the team and defense was to get at the Rocket. And boy did we Rocket his a$$ back to South Bend. Wont ever forget the feeling of being at this game. You can tell these guys took it personal especially the WR corp. (Dale Dawkins, Wesley Carroll, and Randall Hill)

1) Marvin Graves 93' - We had just come off losing to FSU in embarrassing fashion. Charlie Ward was the man and did us in. Marvin Graves was the "poor mans" Charlie and was talking mad **** all week about how he was basically going to do what Charlie did to us and how we had taken a step back. Too this day...I have never seen ANY opponent throwing up as much as Marvin was once we got through with him. We sacked this guy at least 9 times. Kevin Patrick and Darren Krein were possessed that night. Marvin Graves jersey was so dirty and filthy and full of vomit that it was disgusting looking. Needless to say we won 49-0 and Marvin shut his **** mouth.

Feel free to add on but on Sunday, October 9th 2016....I want Dalvin Cooks name at the top of this list.

Graves Manhandled By Um Defense - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

Some great quotes in there.

Edit. Another good article on that game: COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Miami, and 3 Yards, Silence Syracuse - NYTimes.com

It was one of the more forgotten games but lord have mercy will I never forget it. Lol.

Some quotes from former UM RB coach Terry Richardson in there.

Great thread, Jassid.

The Huskies with the help of the pac 10 refs kept UM from winning the 2000 national title. When they came to the OB in 2001, not only did UM want to win but the Canes team wanted them embarrassed. I'll never forget the Canes being up by like 24 points mid 3rd quarter and seeing Joaquin Gonzales ripping into his team mates about pouring it on the huskies. That was a beat down of epic proportions that night.

They also ended our 56 game home winning streak.
After the game, their fullback when asked about the home crowd and the OB, said...."Intimidating, no, it's kind of got that homey feel to it"

Last edited:
Klingler was the first guy I thought of. We blew those guys up that Thursday night. Their coach was that guy that looked like a mannequin.
Tim Brown, ND 1987, was next on my list. Alligator arms all day.

Those defenses didn't like the dudes with the Heisman hype. At. All.

Advertisement
Someone call up the quarterback at 3:30 or send a few strippers over drain their energy.

Great and well timed thread.

It makes me think of how this team and program had been effectively emasculated under that testosterone hating SJW feminist beeoch Donna Shalala. It seems as if that influence is beginning to wear off and this new uber aggressive defense is bringing us back to our roots.

I was at many of those games in the 90's too. We really have to shut him down or it will be another long day in Miami. Like those other players before him that Miami beat up, it's his turn now.

Klingler was the first guy I thought of. We blew those guys up that Thursday night. Their coach was that guy that looked like a mannequin.
Tim Brown, ND 1987, was next on my list. Alligator arms all day.

Those defenses didn't like the dudes with the Heisman hype. At. All.

The OB was rocking for that Houston game, **** that was a long time ago. We came out and just crushed them.

Advertisement
Great thread, Jassid.

After the game, their fullback when asked about the home crowd and the OB, said...."Intimidating, no, it's kind of got that homey feel to it"

It is 58, not 56. It will never be broken.

Advertisement
Great thread, Jassid.

56 games??? C'mon man you're better than this.

The ones I remember were Rex Grossman in 02 and Larry Fitzgerald in 03.

In both instances I remember distinctly hearing the phrase "nobody wins the Heisman against the University of Miami defense..."

You could pretty much add any game in which Chris Rix was QB, but the "Soak at Doak" was the best, IMO. Sean Taylor took that poor kid's SOUL that day. Most fun game I've ever seen live.

Last edited:
You can't bounty a guy that already kicked our *** 2 of 2 times he's played us. Talking trash to him and some intimidation is good idea though. He already feels he has to carry the team. Getting him to press will cause a drop ball or a fumble.

Great thread, Jassid.

It is 58, not 56. It will never be broken.

Yes, my bad. I get all hyped up thinking back. Effecks my typing.
58 is a sacred number in Hurricane history. Inexcusable.
No one will ever come close to that number.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back