Top 10 PFF grades vs Virginia

Advertisement
Nice to see Brooks grade out well. But this continues to verify our biggest concerns including poor OL play, poor cornerback play, poor LB play, and with the exception of Harley, a nonexistent receiving corp. We won’t be good until we can improve the OL and improve our secondary. We might be able to mask some things on defense with mediocre linebackers but hopefully Flagg, Brooks, and TAC are the future there.

PFF is not perfect, but it’s about right. For the Gurvin Hall and Jon Ford haters, it’s good to see them consistently grade so well. It’s also good to see Harley finally get in the top 10, but I would like to see some consistency from Harley before I am happy with him.

King was great, but I would like to see him hit an open Harley for a TD at the end and a few other issues with King last night that I could complain about, but he still is the best QB the Canes have had in years.

May also need to see more of a powerful RB like Chaney moving forward, as his trajectory seems to be taking him forward past the other RBs with this weak OL that seems to get no push at all.

But OLs and starting LBs continue to be the major issues, and in spite of that, the starters’ reps increased instead of decreased. When is Brooks going to start? When will the Canes get some young OLs in there?

One positive sign for the Canes offense were the third down conversions. I think that is something that the Canes and Lashlee can build off of moving forward. Still waiting for that game when the Canes’ offense puts it all together. That still hasn’t happened yet, but fortunately, the potential is still there and the Canes are 5-1! The Canes have exceeded expectations so far this season. This next five-game stretch will determine a lot a futures—in players determining their NFL draft stock (personally, I think every junior should return except Rousseau , in keeping recruits committed.

Offensive Grades (Snap Count)​

- Mike Harley – 85.9 (66)
- D’Eriq King – 85.8 (83)
- Donald Chaney Jr. – 69.8 (21)
- Zion Nelson – 68.1 (83) – 90.1 pass block grade
- Will Mallory – 61.9 (72)
- Jarrid Williams – 61.7 (83) – 76.8 pass block grade
- Jaylan Knighton – 61.4 (34)
- Cam’Ron Harris – 61.1 (22)
- DJ Scaife Jr. – 60.9 (78) – 72.8 pass block grade
- Mark Pope – 60.7 (60)
- Jalen Rivers – 60.0 (1)
- Ousman Traore – 60.0 (1)
- Marshall Few – 59.5 (4)
- Keyshawn Smith – 59.1 (3)
- Dee Wiggins – 58.4 (78)
- Jakai Clark – 54.5 (78) – 48.4 pass block grade
- Robert Burns – 52.5 (7)
- Jeremiah Payton – 51.5 (23)
- Corey Gaynor – 49.0 (83) – 26.0 pass block grade (*Career low*)
- Larry Hodges – 37.6 (12)
- Dominic Mammarelli – 29.8 (11)

Defensive Grades (Snap Count)​

- Gurvan Hall Jr. – 79.1 (62)
- Jonathan Ford – 70.1 (30)
- Quincy Roche – 70.0 (59)
- Te’Cory Couch – 69.2 (44)
- Jaelan Phillips – 68.0 (58)
- Jahfari Harvey – 65.0 (13)
- Sam Brooks Jr. – 64.9 (25)
- Keontra Smith – 64.4 (17)
- Jordan Miller – 64.1 (27)
- Zach McCloud – 63.8 (46)
- Nesta Jade Silvera – 61.7 (27)
- Jalen Harrell – 61.4 (5)
- Bradley Jennings Jr. – 60.2 (51)
- Amari Carter – 60.0 (1)
- DJ Ivey – 59.3 (56)
- Jason Blissett Jr. – 59.0 (5)
- Jared Harrison-Hunte – 58.2 (36)
- Waynmon Steed – 57.8 (20)
- Cameron Williams – 57.6 (12)
- Gilbert Frierson – 54.0 (57)
- Bubba Bolden – 51.3 (71)
- Al Blades Jr. – 50.8 (59)

Hall looked off not sure how he graded that high. On the TD’s ( one called back ) was he not supposed to have over the top coverage?

Advertisement
PFF is not perfect, but it’s about right. For the Gurvin Hall and Jon Ford haters, it’s good to see them consistently grade so well. It’s also good to see Harley finally get in the top 10, but I would like to see some consistency from Harley before I am happy with him.
The Gurvan Hall hate on here stems in part from not understanding what he's being asked to do. He still hasn't reached the level I think he's possible of getting to, and he certainly has some lapses (oddly hesitant at times), but he fills nicely the majority of the time and his angles are also mostly fine. Fans don't see plays on the ball or big plays and figure a Safety is doing a bad job. It doesn't mean we should lower our standard, but he's not the trash some now claim. Plenty of times, we have them back there as sitting ducks. That's not a Banda issue. That's a playcall issue.

Hall looked off not sure how he graded that high. On the TD’s ( one called back ) was he not supposed to have over the top coverage?
There is no way that coverage could have reasonably expected Gurvan Hall to get over the top. At least not the way it was played. Blades, who seemed either confused or trying to get out of the game and started the play lined up far inside the outside WR, sunk like 15 yards before sitting down (not even sure why he sat down?). You'd need to be Sean Taylor on redbull to get over the top of that somehow.

To me a passing grade is 70. Not sure where this grading system says pass or fail. Not one OL passed in my grading system
Ps Just looked again. Using below 70 as fail only 5 on whole team passed. SAD

There is no way that coverage could have reasonably expected Gurvan Hall to get over the top. At least not the way it was played. Blades, who seemed either confused or trying to get out of the game and started the play lined up far inside the outside WR, sunk like 15 yards before sitting down (not even sure why he sat down?). You'd need to be Sean Taylor on redbull to get over the top of that somehow.

What about the TD the one that was called back? Ivey looked like he was expecting someone to be there. Well only thing there was paint and a pylon.

Reason I’m asking is at this point in the game I was so disinterested so can’t recall the exact specifics of the plays.

Advertisement
What about the TD the one that was called back? Ivey looked like he was expecting someone to be there. Well only thing there was paint and a pylon.

Reason I’m asking is at this point in the game I was so disinterested so can’t recall the exact specifics of the plays.
Same. Ivey was at or near the goal line with a WR. He decided to somehow step up and leave a WR behind him for a, and I can only presume, a QB moving toward the LOS like 15+ yards away on 3rd and goal. There’s almost no reasonable explanation for any Safety to handle that exchange given the scenario. They were at the goal line. Such a bizarre play.

Now, that play seemed to have an issue at the beginning. You could see Ivey trying to communicate presnap with his Safety. Maybe he expected help over the top at the beginning of the play, but once he sank all the way to goal line, it’s hard to expect someone take your WR.

The communication between our DBs seems off. Their alignments are often mixed up. And, their in-play instincts appear confusing at times. On another thread, a poster offered a solid review of how hard it is to communicate and exchange WRs in zones. At any level. We seem to make it 10x harder by putting our players out there like sitting ducks. What I can’t understand is how, as a football player, you allow a guy behind you in some of those situations. Let the QB gain 10-12 yards and get to 4th and goal.

King was great, but I would like to see him hit an open Harley for a TD at the end and a few other issues with King last night that I could complain about, but he still is the best QB the Canes have had in years.

May also need to see more of a powerful RB like Chaney moving forward, as his trajectory seems to be taking him forward past the other RBs with this weak OL that seems to get no push at all.

But OLs and starting LBs continue to be the major issues, and in spite of that, the starters’ reps increased instead of decreased. When is Brooks going to start? When will the Canes get some young OLs in there?

One positive sign for the Canes offense were the third down conversions. I think that is something that the Canes and Lashlee can build off of moving forward. Still waiting for that game when the Canes’ offense puts it all together. That still hasn’t happened yet, but fortunately, the potential is still there and the Canes are 5-1! The Canes have exceeded expectations so far this season. This next five-game stretch will determine a lot a futures—in players determining their NFL draft stock (personally, I think every junior should return except Rousseau , in keeping recruits committed.

good write up. last night is a night you prolly see close to even snaps for Flagg and Zach, but he was out for the game so that has to be taken into account. we kinda had no choice with flagg out but to rely on the guys they were taken snaps away from (the starters snaps were decreasing pretty much each week up until yesterday)

Same. Ivey was at or near the goal line with a WR. He decided to somehow step up and leave a WR behind him for a, and I can only presume, a QB moving toward the LOS like 15+ yards away on 3rd and goal. There’s almost no reasonable explanation for any Safety to handle that exchange given the scenario. They were at the goal line. Such a bizarre play.

Now, that play seemed to have an issue at the beginning. You could see Ivey trying to communicate presnap with his Safety. Maybe he expected help over the top at the beginning of the play, but once he sank all the way to goal line, it’s hard to expect someone take your WR.

The communication between our DBs seems off. Their alignments are often mixed up. And, their in-play instincts appear confusing at times. On another thread, a poster offered a solid review of how hard it is to communicate and exchange WRs in zones. At any level. We seem to make it 10x harder by putting our players out there like sitting ducks. What I can’t understand is how, as a football player, you allow a guy behind you in some of those situations. Let the QB gain 10-12 yards and get to 4th and goal.
That play has me bamboozled. There's nobody in a white jersey within a school bus of Ivey and he just stops at the 7.

Screenshot_20201025-114634_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20201025-114725_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20201025-114638_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20201025-114639_YouTube.jpg

That play has me bamboozled. There's nobody in a white jersey within a school bus of Ivey and he just stops at the 7.

View attachment 134340View attachment 134341View attachment 134342View attachment 134343

I can imagine Ivey is *expecting* Safety help? Safety is held by the route down the hash, may be a step late over, but why in the world do you let your WR free in a 3rd and goal scenario and the QB 14 miles away. Really strange anticipation from multiple players.

good screenshots. Shows the confusion well. Thanks.

Advertisement

We have not exceeded expectations. Don’t let this team off the hook for sleepwalking and being in a nail biter with 1-4 UVA.

This right here. I played minimal organized football, but man, I know that in a 2 deep look (I am assuming this was the case), even though the safety has your help, it's inconceivable to drop all the way Ivey did only to expect the safety to STILL be offering support. I mean, this is pretty basic stuff, no? At this point, I'm inclined to have Baker call more press than not for the simple reason that these guys are just not communicating well out there. Go back to simply stuff - see man, cover, especially with the constant safety rotation we are having with the targeting calls.

Advertisement
OFFENSE

- Mike Harley – 85.9
- D’Eriq King – 85.8
- Donald Chaney Jr. – 69.8
- Zion Nelson – 68.1 – 90.1 pass block grade
- Will Mallory – 61.9
- Jarrid Williams – 61.7 – 76.8 pass block grade
- Jaylan Knighton – 61.4
- Cam’Ron Harris – 61.1
- DJ Scaife Jr. – 60.9 – 72.8 pass block grade
- Mark Pope – 60.7
- Jalen Rivers – 60.0
- Ousman Traore – 60.0
- Marshall Few – 59.5
- Keyshawn Smith – 59.1
- Dee Wiggins – 58.4
- Jakai Clark – 54.5 – 48.4 pass block grade
- Robert Burns – 52.5
- Jeremiah Payton – 51.5
- Corey Gaynor – 49.0 – 26.0 pass block grade (*Career low*)
- Larry Hodges – 37.6
- Dominic Mammarelli – 29.8

DEFENSE​

- Gurvan Hall Jr. – 79.1
- Jonathan Ford – 70.1
- Quincy Roche – 70.0
- Te’Cory Couch – 69.2
- Jaelan Phillips – 68.0
- Jahfari Harvey – 65.0
- Sam Brooks Jr. – 64.9
- Keontra Smith – 64.4
- Jordan Miller – 64.1